Sign in to follow this  
bankai

Non-academic reference

Hi everyone, I just finished applications yesterday and all of my referees sent out their reference letters for me. However, I know that Windsor needs a non-academic ref. letter. I did indeed have this non-acad letter from a law firm that I volunteered at, but I am starting to worry now that I might be overlooked at Windsor because it was my aunt's law firm, and she wrote the letter about me. Do you think that I will be skipped over in admissions as a result of this? 

Hi everyone, I just finished applications yesterday and all of my referees sent out their reference letters for me. However, I know that Windsor needs a non-academic ref. letter. I did indeed have this non-acad letter from a law firm that I volunteered at, but I am starting to worry now that I might be overlooked at Windsor because it was my aunt's law firm, and she wrote the letter about me. Do you think that I will be skipped over in admissions as a result of this? 

Pretty sure it says no family members or friends can write your letter, but since your aunt owned it, that's a descent question. I imagine they won't disregard the reference completely, rather may not give it as much weight as so if it werent your family. If you dont have the same name, you should be good.

Did you not ask this on another post?

"Well I did have other non-academic references but they were all in retail. I chose this one in particular because It was from a law firm. That was the main reasoning of mine. The other people that could have written me letters from my retail history, in my opinion, would not be able to write a good Letter for me (in terms that they have never written one before and told me they had not the slightest clue in doing so). I guess I took a risk. But maybe they could question my judgement. However, that would be crazy."

Your letter from your aunt will also affect the weight on your volunteer work.

When you fill out the volunteer work experience, did you also mention that you

were volunteering at a law firm and supervised by your aunt?

A non-academic reference doesn't have to be from a lawyer to have any weight.

The "weight" issue is more important here. A letter from someone not related to you or a retail

manager will probably has more weight than any of your relative in my opinion. The school wantsan

unbias opinion of you. Now they have to discount that letter from your relative and probably give it

lesser weight.

Edited by KLgold

Did you not ask this on another post?

"Well I did have other non-academic references but they were all in retail. I chose this one in particular because It was from a law firm. That was the main reasoning of mine. The other people that could have written me letters from my retail history, in my opinion, would not be able to write a good Letter for me (in terms that they have never written one before and told me they had not the slightest clue in doing so). I guess I took a risk. But maybe they could question my judgement. However, that would be crazy."

Your letter from your aunt will also affect the weight on your volunteer work.

When you fill out the volunteer work experience, did you also mention that you

were volunteering at a law firm and supervised by your aunt?

A non-academic reference doesn't have to be from a lawyer to have any weight.

The "weight" issue is more important here. A letter from someone not related to you or a retail

manager will probably has more weight than any of your relative in my opinion. The school wantsan

unbias opinion of you. Now they have to discount that letter from your relative and probably give it

lesser weight.

Yeah. I did ask this on another post but that was only a side note. Nobody was responding to that one at the time so I decided to separate it.  

I mentioned that I did volunteer at the firm, but not that it was supervised by my aunt. I didn't think that would be important. I thought it was best to fill in what my tasks were in the volunteer section on the sketch rather than go into details like that.

Yeah. I did ask this on another post but that was only a side note. Nobody was responding to that one at the time so I decided to separate it.  

I mentioned that I did volunteer at the firm, but not that it was supervised by my aunt. I didn't think that would be important. I thought it was best to fill in what my tasks were in the volunteer section on the sketch rather than go into details like that.

You asked

I replied

What you think is not important may consider important to the admcom

All they have are what you submitted..

If I am reviewing your application, I would reduce the weight on your

law firm volunteer experience and the non-academic reference letter

My question in the "weight" will be as follows:

Will you get that volunteer work had your relative are not the supervisor?

What are the chances that your relative will write about your weakness in the letter?

What are the chances that your relative can write about you without any bias?

Again, admcom can only evaluate you based on what submitted.