Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGypsy

Ask a Charter Class member

Since the applications for the class of 2017 are now open, I thought I'd open this up for anyone who might have questions about Lakehead.

We've all had an incredible first week, and have all said many times "no other law school in the country is getting this experience." The law school is absolutely beautiful (as is Thunder Bay!), the professors are awesome and incredibly supportive, and the class is already becoming a tight-knit group. Also, in no other school in Canada will your regular class sizes be this small.

Personally, I couldn't have a picked a better school, and am really happy with my decision to come here!

• Like 1

Would you be able to comment on how earnestly your classmates take the "rural mandate" approach of the school? 

Would you be able to comment on how earnestly your classmates take the "rural mandate" approach of the school? 

Hard to say at this point. The majority of people I've talked to from Northern Ontario (which according to Lakehead comprises about 60% of the class) are pretty dead set on working in the North. The other 40%? Who knows.

Since the applications for the class of 2017 are now open, I thought I'd open this up for anyone who might have questions about Lakehead.

We've all had an incredible first week, and have all said many times "no other law school in the country is getting this experience." The law school is absolutely beautiful (as is Thunder Bay!), the professors are awesome and incredibly supportive, and the class is already becoming a tight-knit group. Also, in no other school in Canada will your regular class sizes be this small.

Personally, I couldn't have a picked a better school, and am really happy with my decision to come here!

Agreed. Everyone here is extremely friendly and Thunder Bay is a lot nicer than I was expecting, especially the area around the law building. Although we haven't hit winter yet so we'll see how that goes..

I'm curious given the debate about new law schools (which to oversimplify I was in favour of) about how Lakehead and TRU students do and are perceived as they enter the market over the next few years.

Given the discussion over how many people stay, I think there is some benefit to the profession and the public in the sense of access to justice/law even if not a lot of graduates stay. Or at least there can be, depending upon the school. Legal clinics, legal scholars, a law library with resources (both print and some electronic? not sure of the practice here given license issues) accessible to the public generally and legal practitioners, I see as a benefit to the community generally and legal community specifically, even if it turns out that not a lot of graduates choose to stay.

I'm curious given the debate about new law schools (which to oversimplify I was in favour of) about how Lakehead and TRU students do and are perceived as they enter the market over the next few years.

Given the discussion over how many people stay, I think there is some benefit to the profession and the public in the sense of access to justice/law even if not a lot of graduates stay. Or at least there can be, depending upon the school. Legal clinics, legal scholars, a law library with resources (both print and some electronic? not sure of the practice here given license issues) accessible to the public generally and legal practitioners, I see as a benefit to the community generally and legal community specifically, even if it turns out that not a lot of graduates choose to stay.

I am very optimistic about our success,  given what I have seen so far. The administration and communication is exceptional. The profs both challenge and encourage us, and all have an open-door policy. There are many opportunities available to us, and the community is very supportive. Plus, I am finding that the small class size enables active participation nearly every class.

As for the library - it's a beautiful new library with ample volumes on the shelves, I believe 18,000 ft of stacks (which I believe is comparable to Osgoode - if I'm recalling the orientation session properly!), and access to hundreds of thousands of volumes/articles/resources, etc. electronically.

It sounds like there will also be a number of job opportunities in Northern Ontario, as the average age of lawyers out here is quite high, so the option to practice is Northern Ontario is there (as advertised!).

I just wanted to know whether Lakehead will be increasing the class size for the upcoming year. I remember reading on their website last year that they will be increasing the available seats for students. I just wanted to know whether you have any information on that or perhaps I read something wrong. 

Thanks for answering our questions

I just wanted to know whether Lakehead will be increasing the class size for the upcoming year. I remember reading on their website last year that they will be increasing the available seats for students. I just wanted to know whether you have any information on that or perhaps I read something wrong. 

Thanks for answering our questions

I'm not sure where you read that, but from my understanding the future classes will be staying within the 55-60 range as the small class size is one of their big selling points. I imagine most classes will be closer to 60 as it makes it easier to split up the class (two sections with three subsections each for tutorials).

Do you guys have plans to participate in national moots in the coming years?  If you're not sure, you might want to contact the committees early to make sure your students have a chance to compete!

• Like 1

I wanted to take the opportunity to chime in here as a member of the charter class. The first two weeks here at Lakehead Law have well surpassed my expectations. Not only is the facility spectacular but  the classes challenging and engaging and I really do feel that we are really being welcomed warmly into the legal community and Thunder Bay community at large! As a member of the class from Southern Ontario I am thrilled to call Thunder Bay my new home and will be giving serious consideration to setting up shop here permanently. Please let me know if you have any questions!

How is the gym at the law school do all law students go and play there? As well, is there a good selection of courses such as electives for law studies there? And what was your LSAT and GPA scores if you don't mind sharing with us all.

Thanks

How is the gym at the law school do all law students go and play there? As well, is there a good selection of courses such as electives for law studies there? And what was your LSAT and GPA scores if you don't mind sharing with us all.

Thanks

The gym is huge! All the law students don't go and play there... but we have the ability to. There have been pick-up basket ball games here and there that I know of. We also have an intramural soccer team and hockey team, and we played dodgeball with the med students a few weeks ago. The resources are all there - it's really what you make of it!

The electives are still being finalized, but from what I've seen so far, there are going to be a number of very interesting electives and required courses. What I can tell you for sure is this school is unique in that the classes are geared to teaching us the practical skills, and a lot of the classes reflect that and will reflect that in the upper years. If you want an idea of some of the upper year courses, have a look at the "curriculum" tab on the law school webpage.

Another note - our schedule is amazing. Two sections, no classes before 0900 and no classes after 1730 (which is only twice per week). Monday and Friday classes end at noon, and next semester there are no classes on Fridays! It really helps us to manage our workload and lives, and not having night classes is a real treat. They really look after us here.

If you want an idea of some general LSAT and GPA scores, have a look at the accepted thread from last year =)

The gym is huge!

I was so close to going there when that building was a highschool and that's still the one specific thing (other than the fact that it was generally a nice building) that I remember. I shoulda gone!

I would suggest investing in some damn good winter clothes though. I still shudder when I think about how brutal those winters were, and I left over 6 years ago. Overall, glad to hear they're treating you guys well!

It's all about the girls am brotha are they hot there? Also how are the med school girls? That's how I decide where to go for Law School!

Thanks am brotha for the previous info!

Does anyone know how strong the job market is in Thunder Bay?

I am a called lawyer who did articles in Toronto, but my wife is from Thunder Bay and we are seriously considering moving there, buying a house, have kids, etc.

Thanks.

Does anyone know how strong the job market is in Thunder Bay?

I am a called lawyer who did articles in Toronto, but my wife is from Thunder Bay and we are seriously considering moving there, buying a house, have kids, etc.

Thanks.

We've been told the average age of the bar here is 51, so I would say the market is strong. But being students that aren't yet in that stage of our career, we're probably the wrong people to ask!

We've been told the average age of the bar here is 51, so I would say the market is strong. But being students that aren't yet in that stage of our career, we're probably the wrong people to ask!

Thanks for the info. I will repost my question in the lawyers/articling student forum :)

It's all about the girls am brotha are they hot there? Also how are the med school girls? That's how I decide where to go for Law School!

Thanks am brotha for the previous info

LU definitely is up there...