Sign in to follow this  
thereadingaddict

Looking to apply to Moncton

Hi everyone,

I wanted to find out more about attending Universite de Moncton for the common law French program. I'm an anglophone who did not *exactly* do French Immersion in high school. What I mean by that is, I did IB French instead, so I was with a lot of French Immersion students, and essentially studied French at the same level as them. I also took a few French courses in university so as to not lose my French-speaking ability. I can hold my own in a conversation, and understand most of what goes on in French film and news. I would really love to attend law school starting next fall, and I hadn't considered schools like Moncton or Ottawa's French common law program until recently. I'd rather improve my bilingualism than to lose it.

My questions are the following:

1. How much French do I have to know or understand to be successful at Moncton (not just passing grades...but top rank in my class). How is the proficiency test?

2. Does it matter that my academic references are English-speaking? Would I need to get their letters professionally translated, or is submission in English ok?

3. What is the average in-take of French-speaking students outside of the Maritimes, and how diverse is the incoming class usually? I come from Ontario, and I am a first generation Canadian, so I would like to mention that too.

4. When is the earliest time to submit my application? I understand that the school accepts them up until March.

I'd really appreciate anyone's help in answering my questions!

Edited by thereadingaddict
  • Like 3

Hi everyone,

I wanted to find out more about attending Universite de Moncton for the common law French program. I'm an anglophone who did not *exactly* do French Immersion in high school. What I mean by that is, I did IB French instead, so I was with a lot of French Immersion students, and essentially studied French at the same level as them. I also took a few French courses in university so as to not lose my French-speaking ability. I can hold my own in a conversation, and understand most of what goes on in French film and news. I would really love to attend law school starting next fall, and I hadn't considered schools like Moncton or Ottawa's French common law program until recently. I'd rather improve my bilingualism than to lose it.

1. How much French do I have to know or understand to be successful at Moncton (not just passing grades...but top rank in my class). How is the proficiency test?

2. Does it matter that my academic references are English-speaking? Would I need to get their letters professionally translated, or is submission in English ok?

3. What is the average in-take of French-speaking students outside of the Maritimes, and how diverse is the incoming class usually? I come from Ontario, and I am a first generation Canadian, so I would like to mention that too.

4. When is the earliest time to submit my application? I understand that the school accepts them up until March.

I know someone who was given a conditional offer to Moncton. (S)he is an Anglophone with near-native proficiency in French (lived in QC for 2 years and had done an Education degree to become a high school French teacher). (S)he failed the Moncton French proficiency test, despite passing the Ottawa one for the French JD program. 

Personally, I don't think doing law school in a language that is not your native one is desirable and I think it is to be avoided. Maybe do something else to improve your bilingualism.

Edited by Ptolemy

Hi everyone,

Hi there,

I'm in my 1st year at Moncton and can answer some of your questions.

1. You must be fluent in French to be successful here. All discussions/classes are in French, most of your readings will be in French however you may be assigned readings from an English language source. Also, most cases are in English, however for appeal cases and scc cases, they will be available in both languages. The proficiency test is simply a 4-5 page essay you must write in 3 hrs. They give you some random topic (for ex: how can kids prepare themselves for the workforce?) and then you must write about that. They check if you have good grammar.

2. Your references can be in either English and/or in French. It does not matter.

3. In terms of in-take from other provinces, out of about 50 students this year, we have about 10 not from a maritime province. Evidently, being a school in a maritime province, there isn't much diversity as you would find in say a class in Toronto. However, you will find plenty of francophone West-Africans here.

4. You can already apply, its first come first serve basically. Also, since you come from a prov. outside of NB, you maybe offered a "bourse de déplacement" of 500$. But there are only so many, so try to get your application in asap.

As Ptolemy said above, unless you are fluently bilingual I would not suggest you come study in French. Here's a link to an appeal case, you should be able to read and understand it (besides the legal jargon of course): http://www.canlii.ca/fr/nb/nbca/doc/2001/2001nbca78/2001nbca78.html. Secondly, if you can get into Ottawa, I would suggest you stay in Ontario. Unless you intend to work in the maritimes, you should go to a school in your province. Most people from outside NB haven't heard of this school. Since, the tuition is lower here, you can always do 1 year here and transfer the following year to Ottawa. Classes in the first year are the same wherever you go in Canada.

Good luck!