Sign in to follow this  
SocratesJohnston

Looking for insight...possibly rewrite the LSAT? 3.15/3.53/163

Hello all,

I am seeking advice about whether or not I should consider rewriting the LSAT in October before applying to school.

My cGPA is God-awful (3.15), but the GPA for my final 2 years is much stronger (3.53).

I've written the LSAT twice, scoring a 155 in December of 2011, and most recently a 163 in June.

I'm two years removed from my undergrad, and in that time I've managed a small business and also started my own business.

I was wondering what everyone thinks my chances might be for admissions currently?

I can't say anything for sure, but you seem to have strong soft factors, but I think you may need to rewrite to get a higher score. I'm not too sure, just going on what I have read re. admissions and GPA/LSAT cutoffs.

Wait and see what the published admission stats look like for 2012. I'm not exactly sure when they will be released, but from what I've read on this forum it looks like the averages for hard stats have been going up relatively quickly over the last two years. Calgary's holistic assessment methodology ensures that no one outside of the admission committee can say with any degree of certainty whether you will be admitted – note that many applicants with better GPAs and LSATs have been rejected in the past – but the class profile stats for 2012 will at least tell you if you’re in the game. My guess is that stellar ECs and a well-written letter of intent will be important to your application. But then all anyone can do when it comes to UofC admissions is guess with limited degrees of insight. You're work experience sounds promising, but what does your volunteer experience look like, Johnston?

Low GPA here: Rewrite the LSAT and you should have a legitimate shot. Best of luck!

In the event you haven't read through the other grades threads in this subforum (which you ought to do), I'll start by saying a number of ad com members highly favours the LSAT, and, in particular, improvements on your score.  A 155 to 163 is a great improvement, and will likely be met with approval.  If you aren't completely sure you can beat that score, I would not suggest a re-write (unless you are shooting for another school as well).

Your last 60 credits is within the average grade range for the last few years, but on the low end of that range.  Like almost all files at the U of C, yours will be judged as a whole package, so the best I can say is you have an outside shot, but I won't lie to you and say you have a good chance.  Depending on who reads your file, you may be out right away.

Wait and see what the published admission stats look like for 2012. I'm not exactly sure when they will be released, but from what I've read on this forum it looks like the averages for hard stats have been going up relatively quickly over the last two years. Calgary's holistic assessment methodology ensures that no one outside of the admission committee can say with any degree of certainty whether you will be admitted – note that many applicants with better GPAs and LSATs have been rejected in the past – but the class profile stats for 2012 will at least tell you if you’re in the game. My guess is that stellar ECs and a well-written letter of intent will be important to your application. But then all anyone can do when it comes to UofC admissions is guess with limited degrees of insight. You're work experience sounds promising, but what does your volunteer experience look like, Johnston?

I have limited volunteer experience at the moment, but I will be starting to volunteer this summer coaching football, door-knocking for charities, doing a charity run or bike ride, etc...

HOWEVER, my question is this: will admissions "see-through" the fact that I have limited volunteer experience up until now? (i.e. will they perceive it as a sorry attempt on my part to beef up my application?)

Thanks everyone, you're all affirming what I've come to learn through lurking this forum so far: some people have been accepted at U of C with stats similar to mine, but a great deal more people have been rejected...

This is gonna sound bad, but if you're volunteering because you want to make yourself look good on a law school application (rather than for its intrinsic value) then really try to do something impressive.  Think of stuff that will catch a committee member's eye when they're sorting through a stack of similar applications.  Pick something you're interested in and knock it out of the park.  Don't just knock on doors for a charity.  Push yourself and get on the organizing committee / board, and when you get there do something that makes an impact.  It might sound a little daunting at this point, but it's definitely doable.  

In my experience, the people that push themselves to that next level are the people that make it into law school on the strength of their ECs.  As others have mentioned, your stats are on the low end of good, so if you want to seal the deal you should go all out on the ECs.

Good Luck!