Sign in to follow this  
Morgan

Lawstudents.ca - Posting Rules

Welcome to lawstudents.ca. As a new user, the best thing to do is spend a bit of time looking around to get a feel for how things work here. There is a good FAQ as well as some helpful advice on posting too much personal information (hint: you shouldn't!). Also, make sure to use the search function to see if information you are looking for has previously been provided.

We don't have a lot of rules, but please abide by the following:

1. ONE ACCOUNT PER USER. You get one active account. Don't post under multiple usernames. Think long and hard about your username, because we probably won't change it unless you have a very good reason. Also, don't use your real name as a user name (see rule 2 below), and please try to be more creative than "somethinglawyer123" (if you aren't a lawyer, your username shouldn't make people think you are) or a variation of Lionel Hutz, Mike Ross, or another famous TV lawyer. We have lots of those already.

2. PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. The moderators are not here to be your personal editors, so if you post too much revealing information, we absolutely won't remove it right away (people may not be around to review), and we might not remove it at all. Think about whether you want certain information publicly available on the Internet. You get one hour after you make a post to use the edit function and make changes to it. After that, the contents of that post are here forever.

3. DON'T BE A JERK. This means no personal attacks, no disparaging or "calling out" other users, no posting personal information about others users, etc. Moderators reserve the right to edit or delete any posts, and suspend any users who are breaching the spirit of this rule. If you can't post here without being a jerk to other users, your account will probably be suspended. Also, don't create a new account to get around a suspension and then plead you are a new user who just happens to have the same posting style and geographical residence as the old poster. Seriously. Just go away.

Since you want to go into law (or are already in it in some capacity), you should also make sure you read the Terms & Conditions.

• Like 8

I suppose it's time to bump this.

Read. Follow. It isn't hard.

• Like 7

Bumping this up and I hope that everyone reads it. In the past couple of days, we've had three members here who registered new usernames so that they could divest themselves of posts made while they were applicants. Now that they have been accepted to law school, they want to start over again. Well, that isn't possible. If everyone created a new account once in law school, that dilutes the usefulness of the forum and it creates a ton more work for the mod team. Don't do it!  Having only one account is one of the very few rules we have here. Be mindful of what you post. Posts are forever. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've been getting a number of messages and requests from people who have clearly never bothered to look up the forum rules. Reminder to all - we don't delete posts. You can't delete posts either.

IF you regret posting something, within an hour you can go back and edit your post (including blanking it out). That's how it works, and how it has always worked, and if you don't understand why, I invite you to browse this forum for the numerous explanations we've provided over the last fifteen years.

You also can't insist that we delete your username/account. We don't do that either. We CAN ban you - if you want. But even banning you doesn't delete your post history, so asking us to ban you just removes your ability to post in future (and second accounts are, as always, not allowed - we'll simply merge them with your original account).Users who find engaging with the forum negatively affects their mental health sometimes ask for a ban so they're saved from themselves: and we're fine with doing that.

Here's what you can do if there is a post you seriously regret:

1. IF you want to continue with this community:  Address it in another post. "I was being a jerk and I regret it, sorry" or "I've changed my mind on that since" is fine. Learn how to apologise or concede an argument and move on. It's an important life skill!

2. IF you want to leave us behind: Stop posting and drawing attention to yourself. Asking how to delete a post on the forum almost certainly means random bored users will immediately look up your history. 

3. IF it's a single post or a single detail you want removed: PM a mod or report a specific post with a polite request that we remove the detail of that post. For example, we've removed specifics of a person's ECs or undergraduate degree because it's identifying info taken in conjunction with their other posts. If this is what you need, then make sure to send us the links to the posts - don't make a broad request that we remove "any time I mentioned doing improv in Winnipeg" without linking it. We won't do the work for you. [Edit: no promises that we'll agree to do this, but this is how you ask.]

It's a great community here, and this has to be hashed out on a regular basis, but hopefully this post puts a dent in the requests we've been getting lately as new members cycle through. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1