Jump to content
*Ari*

0L's - post any questions in here

Recommended Posts

I have a question, I have been trying to call the admissions office but I am sure they are busy with their applicants. 

 

In order to boost my GPA, I want to take the Certificate of Legal Studies program at SFU. It consists of only upper lever courses. Does anyone know whether TRU would take that into consideration when calculating my GPA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TRUAnxious said:

I have a question, I have been trying to call the admissions office but I am sure they are busy with their applicants. 

 

In order to boost my GPA, I want to take the Certificate of Legal Studies program at SFU. It consists of only upper lever courses. Does anyone know whether TRU would take that into consideration when calculating my GPA? 

This is definitely something that only the admissions office can answer with any certainty. Even if another student had taken that exact program and been told in this cycle or a previous one that it counts/doesn't count, the admission requirements and practices change from year to year. 

You're correct that they are currently busy with admins and applicants, but if you're planning to potentially take this certificate in September, then I'd suggest calling until you get an answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MissJE said:

This is definitely something that only the admissions office can answer with any certainty. Even if another student had taken that exact program and been told in this cycle or a previous one that it counts/doesn't count, the admission requirements and practices change from year to year. 

You're correct that they are currently busy with admins and applicants, but if you're planning to potentially take this certificate in September, then I'd suggest calling until you get an answer. 

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎02 at 6:46 PM, TRUAnxious said:

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. 

I'm a little late to this, but you should report back with what you were told.  I'm sure prospective students in the future would be interested to know whether TRU takes grades from a graduate certificate program into account and there's some good info in this thread for prospective students.

Back when I was admitted I had a graduate certificate, but I never asked whether they calculated those grades into my GPA or whether it was just a soft factor.  Granted, that was also 6 years ago so I'm sure the admission requirements have changed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which parking pass is best? Premium permits seemed to be ideal location-wise, but are unfortunately sold out. Economy lots seem far from Old Main, so I'm thinking about purchasing a general permit but was curious as to how quickly the general lots around Old Main fill up. I'm basing all of this off of the website's map, so I might be completely off. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BetterCallSandyCohen said:

Which parking pass is best? Premium permits seemed to be ideal location-wise, but are unfortunately sold out. Economy lots seem far from Old Main, so I'm thinking about purchasing a general permit but was curious as to how quickly the general lots around Old Main fill up. I'm basing all of this off of the website's map, so I might be completely off. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks! 

General lots can be full by 9am which means you will be parking in the economy lots anyways. The closer to old main the earlier they fill up. The walk from the economy lot is only 5 minutes away and you walk right past the student run coffee shop which has some of the best coffee on campus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 7:47 AM, lawstudent20202020 said:

General lots can be full by 9am which means you will be parking in the economy lots anyways. The closer to old main the earlier they fill up. The walk from the economy lot is only 5 minutes away and you walk right past the student run coffee shop which has some of the best coffee on campus.

Thank you! That helps a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dwight453 said:

Does anyone know what the average lsat score and gpa average is for TRU? I can't find any stats online.

They don't release that information. Nobody but TRU administration know the numbers. If anyone gives you a number, it's likely BS.

Edited by canuckfanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, dwight453 said:

Does anyone know what the average lsat score and gpa average is for TRU? I can't find any stats online.

Look through the Accepted threads for the last few years and you'll have an idea.  As Canuck said, you're not going to get a concrete number but at least you'll have an idea of the LSAT's and GPA's of the accepted applicants.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is TRU like in regards to 1L students adjusting to the environment. Any info from people outside of BC would be great. Thanks a lot for your time! 

Edited by lawstudentmikescott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 8:49 PM, lawstudentmikescott said:

What is TRU like in regards to 1L students adjusting to the environment. Any info from people outside of BC would be great. Thanks a lot for your time! 

From Northern Ontario.  It was fine I mean I never really thought of having to adjust to the environment.  Maybe you can elaborate be a bit more specific.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also came from Ontario and had only ever lived in big cities before so living in Kamloops was a bit of a culture shock to me, but I enjoyed it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I had about TRU. 

(1) Are there any food places that are open late to eat dinner on campus? Unless I've missed it, I don't believe they offer meal plans for students living in residence.

(2) Are there ATMs on campus?

(3) There isn't much information online about the weight room on campus. Any opinions on it? I think I read it's free.

(4) Do law students go skiing often (given the school's proximity to some good skiing locations)?

(5) Is the grading curve any different from other schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SallGoodMan said:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I had about TRU. 

(1) Are there any food places that are open late to eat dinner on campus? Unless I've missed it, I don't believe they offer meal plans for students living in residence.

(2) Are there ATMs on campus?

(3) There isn't much information online about the weight room on campus. Any opinions on it? I think I read it's free.

(4) Do law students go skiing often (given the school's proximity to some good skiing locations)?

(5) Is the grading curve any different from other schools?

1) On campus not really, but there's a decent about of fast food places, pubs and grocery stores walking distance from campus. There's no proper cafeteria on campus, just a couple of food counters, a pub, and the culinary program runs a cafeteria Tuesday to Friday for lunch, which has the best food on campus.

2) I know there is at least one ATM in the campus pub.

3) There is a gym on campus attached to the tournament centre, the student pass there is 27 bucks a month. You get free pool access with your student fees.

4) There's a fair amount of people that get season's passes to sun peaks. We also do a law school ski trip in January.

5) Grading curve is a B median with a max of %10 As.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SallGoodMan said:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I had about TRU. 

(1) Are there any food places that are open late to eat dinner on campus? Unless I've missed it, I don't believe they offer meal plans for students living in residence.

(2) Are there ATMs on campus?

(3) There isn't much information online about the weight room on campus. Any opinions on it? I think I read it's free.

(4) Do law students go skiing often (given the school's proximity to some good skiing locations)?

(5) Is the grading curve any different from other schools?

(1) The on-campus food options are unfortunately limited, but they have made some improvements as to longer hours especially during exam season. The campus pub is open the latest though I'm not certain of their hours.

(2) There are quite a few atms on campus. In Old Main where 90% of law students spend their time, there is an atm by the starbucks on the main level and and atm up the main stairs and in the hall past the first food place. Various other atms throughout campus.

(3) There is the "old gym" on campus that does intramural sports, but I think the weight room there is restricted to student athletes. The tournament capital centre is where most students work out since it's pretty cheap. There's no commitment so you can just pay month to month as you like.

(4) There's also Harper Mountain which is a bit closer to Kamloops, is a bit cheaper and caters to less experienced skiers/boarders. Plenty of students go out to Sun Peaks and Harper regularly.

(5) The B median curve allows up to a max of 15% of students to get As in a class that is 18 people or larger. There is no obligation for a professor to actually give out that many As though. The full grading policy can be found here.

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SallGoodMan said:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I had about TRU. 

(1) Are there any food places that are open late to eat dinner on campus? Unless I've missed it, I don't believe they offer meal plans for students living in residence.

(2) Are there ATMs on campus?

(3) There isn't much information online about the weight room on campus. Any opinions on it? I think I read it's free.

(4) Do law students go skiing often (given the school's proximity to some good skiing locations)?

(5) Is the grading curve any different from other schools?

(1) Not really no.  When I was there it was limited on nights and weekend but there was a meal plan (Essentially a prepaid debit card)

(2) Yes

(3) There was some "gyms" in res but the main room was the TCC but there is a fee.  Also have a pool/hot tubs/ and saunas there

(4) There was a organized law school trip every year that is a blast and students went plenty on their own.  Some student in my 3L had rented a condo for the winter.

(5) Not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 2:16 PM, SallGoodMan said:

(5) Is the grading curve any different from other schools?

TRU's grading requires the median grade to be a B, and profs can't give more than 15% of the class an A- or higher. Some profs don't give any As, or will make A- the highest possible grade. In general everyone gets in the B range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×