Sign in to follow this  
homer

Who is planning to live on Residence?

Upper year here. Hardly any law students live in Alumni - it's mostly 1st and 2nd year undergrads so be aware of what you're signing up for.

Many law students live in Electa. It's right across the street from the law school and your whole floor will be law students. However, be aware of some serious flaws with Electa:

1. You will share a bathroom with 20 people.

2. The cafeteria is several blocks away and has terrible unhealthy and poor tasting food. There is one small kitchen on each floor, but you effectively will be eating all of your meals in the CAW (which is gross).

You should look at Canterbury or on the apartment buildings along University W

• Like 2

I'm definitely staying in residence first year as well. Already paid my deposit, and put down Alumni Hall as my first choice, Electa Main second, and Electa Annex third (if I remember correctly, Annex is the one where it's open concept). I definitely don't want to share a bathroom with a bunch of people.

I looked at the map on the site, and Alumni looks close to the gym and everything, pretty much right in the middle of campus, so a ten minute walk to class is still pretty convenient. I definitely hope I get a fellow law student as a roomie, just because it'd ease some of the stress, and whatnot.

I'm definitely staying in residence first year as well. Already paid my deposit, and put down Alumni Hall as my first choice, Electa Main second, and Electa Annex third (if I remember correctly, Annex is the one where it's open concept). I definitely don't want to share a bathroom with a bunch of people.

I looked at the map on the site, and Alumni looks close to the gym and everything, pretty much right in the middle of campus, so a ten minute walk to class is still pretty convenient. I definitely hope I get a fellow law student as a roomie, just because it'd ease some of the stress, and whatnot.

I was 100% planning to live on res as well but I'm not so sure anymore.  After talking to a few people in upper years, I think I might look for my own condo in downtown.  But the biggest thing it came down to was cost.

Alumni Hall: $815/month........$6,510 (8 months)

Electra Main Single:  $635/month..........$5,087 (8 months)

Not bad, until you add the Mandatory meal plan @ $1,900 per semester. 

Alumni Hall: $1,165/month........$9,310 (8 months)

Electra Main Single:  $985/month..........$7,887 (8 months)

For those prices, you can get a kick ass condo downtown (at lest I hope).  I'm going this weekend to check out some places and I'll let you guys know what I find:).

• Like 1

I know it's pretty expensive. I'm just going to spend a little extra cash. The way I see it, I'm renting right now (in Oshawa given), and I pay $750 in rent/month, then I gotta pay hydro, cable, internet, food, take a 20 minute bus ride to class, etc. So for me, I want to splurge a little just for the convenience of location, and no worries of cooking or bills for one year.

I know living is cheap just from random searches on "viewit.ca", but I'm saving the apartment living for second year. I don't want any excuses to not do well in first year. I figure I'll be on campus most of the time anyway.

• Like 1

Just got the email from residence that I will be in Alumni Hall, with my room number and all that. I'm happy about it. Anyone else?

• Like 1

Also in res at Alumni Hall. Think I also found my roommate on these forums :P 

Also in res at Alumni Hall. Think I also found my roommate on these forums :P

Just got the email from residence that I will be in Alumni Hall, with my room number and all that. I'm happy about it. Anyone else?

I'm a little relieved to find out other 1L will also be in Alumni.  I'm really getting the impression that most people are living off campus, and am starting to regret my choice :S. 

I'm a little relieved to find out other 1L will also be in Alumni.  I'm really getting the impression that most people are living off campus, and am starting to regret my choice :S. 

I'm just living on res so I can give first year my full attention. I don't want to think about little things like grocery shopping, bussing/walking to class, paying bills, etc. That was my logic atleast, maybe yours is different. And... Alumni because I don't want to share a bathroom - that's just nasty.

I was thinking about residence but I think I'm going to find my own place. Already lived on my own for 6 years now through HS and undergrad so its not a big deal. The cost savings are worth it in my opinion.

I hope I can network with other law students without having to live on campus.