shortyfabolous

Practicing outside of Quebec, unable to do a J.D.

Hey guys,

I hope someone can offer a bit of advise for me...

I graduated with a Baccalauréat en droit from université de Montréal, but honestly finished with a horrid gpa (2.4). I know i screwed up, couldn't keep myself motivated or in check and slacked off, hence the crappy gpa.

I'm doing my quebec bar now, but I am getting increasingly nervous about job prospects. I know that with my grades getting a job in quebec in itself will be difficult, but now i can't even do a J.D. because i don't have the required gpa.

This may be a stupid question but is there anyway to get a legal job (and not as a paralegal, nothing against them) outside of québec without a J.D. Is there something like just transferring your licence after passing the bar and becoming a member of the quebec barreau? I'm talking about maybe transferring to Ontario (maybe working in T.O if someone will take me).

thanks for anyone who can help.

They will still ask for your grades and they will likely discriminate against your school. Lawyers will be looking for a school they know, which isn't something that Quebec schools can look for. The Toronto market is fairly filled as it is. You're likelier to find a job in Quebec than you are in Ontario.

I would look at smaller firms and contacts if I were you. It's not necessarily always just about grades. You won't be able to practice in Ontario as a lawyer without passing their bar. I believe the Quebec and Ontario bars are looking at signing some kind of transfer agreement, but I don't think it'll be available any time soon. I'd suggest to apply to a big number of firms, and look at family and friend contacts.

Hey guys,

I hope someone can offer a bit of advise for me...

This may be a stupid question but is there anyway to get a legal job (and not as a paralegal, nothing against them) outside of québec without a J.D.

thanks for anyone who can help.

In any event you wouldn't be able to practice in Ontario as a paralegal either without a licence from the Law Society.

• Like 1

Dude, don't freak out about your GPA. 2,4 is not the best but it's still in the C+ range, so around average. So you won't get a big firm stage most likely, but you can still gain experience on the job market for a couple years and, if you want to, look for a big firm job after.

Your carreer isn't ruined with a 2,4. I know someone with a worse GPA than that who got a summer stage last year with a lawyer she knows and worked on a huge case that she built on her own and had her maître de stage plead for her and won. That's gonna look amazing on her CV. My own GPA isn't that much higher than yours (I flunked a course) but I still got into a J.D. programme. There are other qualities recruiters look for.

Bref, grades aren't necessarily indicative of how valuable you will be to your employer. Don't beat yourself up. Try to scrounge up the best stage you can find and go from there.

And don't bother with T.O. Agreement or not, if you went to a Quebec school other than McGill, they probably won't show you the respect you deserve. 

Edited by lecavaleur
  • Like 3

I don't think you need specific grades to do J.D; or at least at UdeM, they do not mention that on their website