Sign in to follow this  
hitman9172

How are grades from an exchange program factored in?

Hi,

I went on a one-term exchange to England. In my 3.5 semesters of courses at UBC, my avg has been about 83-84%. 

However, for my one semester in England, my average was about 65%. Initially I panicked, but after some quick research, I read that converting British to Canadian grades is almost impossible since many British universities use different grading scales. However, the Fulbright Commission says a 65% at a British university is roughly equivalent to an A- in Canada. 

I was told by UBC admissions that they need to see all transcripts (Canadian and British). So I was wondering if anyone can provide some info on how some different law schools will potentially transfer over my grades from England? Will it be roughly an A-, or will it be the straight up 65% average?

Osgoode requires applicants with non-Canadian degrees (US degrees excepted) to have their transcripts evaluated by WES, which will 'translate' the transcript into a Canadian equivalent. I don't know the details of this process, but as I understand it it's not a "convert this transcript mathematically to a different scale" process. They try and determine what grades the student would have received had they done their degree in Canada, so that they can be fairly compared to Canadian-educated applicants.

That said, this was just one semester, not a whole degree. I think if it isn't evident from the website, you should call the schools you're applying to to see whether they'll incorporate the transfer semester into your GPA calculation. It might be more trouble than it's worth, to them.

Edited by whereverjustice
add link

I went on exchange for a full year and (although I only applied to Ontario schools), they requested to see my transcripts from abroad, although I did not have to have them converted. From what I understood, my exchange grades were not factored into my GPA, but schools could see them and consider them. A representative from U of T told me that a 2:1 was perfectly fine and I got into all my schools, even though my grades on exchange were slightly lower than in Canada. 

Unlike OP, I wanted schools to include my exchange marks (one semester) in their calculations so I paid WES to evaluate my transcript. I *think* at the schools I asked they said you only needed WES to evaluate your exchange marks if you wanted them to be included in you GPA calculations. However, I think most schools will still want a copy of the transcript.

Regardless of what anyone here says, I'd definitely recommend contacting the schools to find out their respective policies.