Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

Rejected 2013

L2/B2: 3.8

LSATs: 163, 167

I knew my EC's weren't that good (volunteer sports leader, work at medical clinic), but I was surprised to be rejected so early in the cycle. That stings.

Oh wow. You of all people! At least every other school wants you.

• Like 1

Rejection email this morning. Sucks, I was hoping for Calgary.

cGPA: 3.4ish

B2GPA: 3.5ish

LSAT: one write 162

ECs: IMO strong but nothing otherworldly. Worked at a downtown Vancouver law firm during 2 summers, summer as a festival producer for an arts organization, 2 years as an editor of a faculty journal, 2 years on my faculty's student society board, 1 year on the board of the CPSSA journal, involved in a few other student organizations.

Thank god it's Friday.

Oh my god...

All of you look to me like you have good to great stats, good ECs and look like competitive applicants. I'm scratching my head on quite a few of these. 

I'm sure everyone here will be getting an offer somewhere (if haven't already gotten an offer) so stay positive. 

Rejection email this morning. Sucks, I was hoping for Calgary.

cGPA: 3.4ish

B2GPA: 3.5ish

LSAT: one write 162

ECs: IMO strong but nothing otherworldly. Worked at a downtown Vancouver law firm during 2 summers, summer as a festival producer for an arts organization, 2 years as an editor of a faculty journal, 2 years on my faculty's student society board, 1 year on the board of the CPSSA journal, involved in a few other student organizations.

Thank god it's Friday.

That's crazy. Your ECs are incredible.

• Like 1

That's crazy. Your ECs are incredible.

Well thank you. I hope one of my other schools sees it that way, still waiting for an acceptance after being dinged by Ottawa and now Calgary.

I knew my EC's weren't that good (volunteer sports leader, work at medical clinic), but I was surprised to be rejected so early in the cycle. That stings.

They are crazy. Don't let it sting you. You are very deserving at every other school.

• Like 1

WOW.

Sunnyskies....did you contact them to get more info? IIRC you have not completed your undergrad, correct?

WOW.

Sunnyskies....did you contact them to get more info? IIRC you have not completed your undergrad, correct?

No, I didn't contact them for more info because I've accepted my offer at UBC. And you're right, I haven't completed my undergrad, which may have been a factor in their decision (over the last 3 years, zero students have been accepted without a bachelors).

I'm sure that extra spot will go to someone who deserves it, though. There are many applicants out there who have so much relevant experience, yet through a low GPA or LSAT would be denied admission at numbers-based schools. It's good that U of C is one school that takes a more holistic approach. 

No, I didn't contact them for more info because I've accepted my offer at UBC. And you're right, I haven't completed my undergrad, which may have been a factor in their decision (over the last 3 years, zero students have been accepted without a bachelors).

I am almost positive there have been students admitted in the last two years that did not complete their undergraduate degree. I am certain of one student last year and I have heard something about another student, possibly the year before.

Good luck at UBC, it is a great school!

I am almost positive there have been students admitted in the last two years that did not complete their undergraduate degree. I am certain of one student last year and I have heard something about another student, possibly the year before.

Good luck at UBC, it is a great school!

I can't think of any other reason as to why a 3.8/167 would be rejected.......even with bad EC's

Moverover, according to their website "100%" of their admitted students have completed their bachelors....so at the very least their adcom is under the impression those applicants were goiing to finish prior to starting in September.

Edited by Shabam
  • Like 1

I'm sure that extra spot will go to someone who deserves it, though. There are many applicants out there who have so much relevant experience, yet through a low GPA or LSAT would be denied admission at numbers-based schools. It's good that U of C is one school that takes a more holistic approach. 

Good to hear, SS. Your stats are very good...i'd be insulted if I were you!! ;)

• Like 1

Nobody should be surprised about this. U of C is very explicit about rarely accepting individuals who will not have obtained a bachelor's degree by the time they would be entering law school.

Sunny, people often check these rejected threads to gauge their chances at U of C. When you simply post that you were rejected with a 163/167 and 3.8 and say nothing about the fact that you're in your third year and won't have a degree by September, that's unhelpful.

• Like 6

Nobody should be surprised about this. U of C is very explicit about rarely accepting individuals who will not have obtained a bachelor's degree by the time they would be entering law school.

Sunny, people often check these rejected threads to gauge their chances at U of C. When you simply post that you were rejected with a 163/167 and 3.8 and say nothing about the fact that you're in your third year and won't have a degree by September, that's unhelpful.

Great point, PD.

• Like 1

Struve's right. In the class that started in fall 2011 (currently 2L) we had 1 student without a bachelor's degree. He was accepted after his 3rd year of undergrad. He ended up dropping out near the end of first semester though. So the website's wrong, but in general it is extremely rare for students to get into U of C without a degree.

• Like 1

Good to hear, SS. Your stats are very good...i'd be insulted if I were you!! ;)

Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate it :)

You're right, I should have mentioned explicitly that I didn't have my bachelor's ;) 

Edited by sunnyskies1992

Rejected via email today: 82ish% Last Two or (3.5-3.6L2), LSAT between 160-165 (wrote 3 times all within that range).

EC and PS not impressive