Sign in to follow this  
PackerBacker1111

Reffered to Admissions Committee

I feel your pain. Referred since March 15 and still nothing. I called and they said there is no limit on how long a file can be referred to the admissions committee. It's just so frustrating...I don't understand the point of these different statuses (Referred, incomplete, completed/ready for review) - they are not at all an accurate portrayal of what actually goes on and confuses applicants even further. It's common sense that a file that is ready for review should be labelled as such and files that are "referred" (one step further than complete/ready for review) should be decided on within a reasonable amount of time. I can't believe that some people have been referred since January and its almost May...ridiculous.

Referred to Committee just means it's in a big (really big) pile of applications that committee members can draw from. No decision is made on a file until it's been read by 3 members of the committee - at least one reader being a 2L or 3L student.

The reason there's been hardly any movement in the last few weeks is that we (we being students, I'm NOT on the committee) have been in exams. You'll understand when you're in law school, but everything else in your life shuts down during this period.

Expect it to still be slow for the next few weeks because students are recuperating and faculty (who comprise most the committee) now have an ungodly amount of marking. You'll all need to have some patience, and take solace in the fact that every single application will be read and given fair consideration.

Edited by student15
  • Like 2

Thanks for this information. I actually wasn't aware that the ad com consists of maily faculty and/or students - I thought it was a separate university department or something (If you think about it, someone COULD do this as a full-time job...applications start coming in before the November 1st deadline, and applicants are accepted up until the first week of classes in September).

Still doesn't speak to my issue with the update "statuses" themselves - in my opinion, they shouldn't use a status like "Referred" at all if all it really means is your file is sitting in a huge pile ready to be looked at. Personally when I was referred in March, I got really excited because I thought it would mean I would hear something soon (maybe in a matter or 2-3 weeks). Over a month has gone by (and more than a month for others) and nothing has changed, which has caused me an unbelievable amount of stress and frustration.

What makes it worse is when the school starts sending emails about OSAP deadlines to applicants who haven't heard back yet...I've noticed a LOT of posts on here recently from panicked applicants who are trying to figure out what it could mean.

Referred to Committee just means it's in a big (really big) pile of applications that committee members can draw from. No decision is made on a file until it's been read by 3 members of the committee - at least one reader being a 2L or 3L student.

The reason there's been hardly any movement in the last few weeks is that we (we being students, I'm NOT on the committee) have been in exams. You'll understand when you're in law school, but everything else in your life shuts down during this period.

Expect it to still be slow for the next few weeks because students are recuperating and faculty (who comprise most the committee) now have an ungodly amount of marking. You'll all need to have some patience, and take solace in the fact that every single application will be read and given fair consideration.

Thanks for this information. I actually wasn't aware that the ad com consists of maily faculty and/or students - I thought it was a separate university department or something (If you think about it, someone COULD do this as a full-time job...applications start coming in before the November 1st deadline, and applicants are accepted up until the first week of classes in September).

Still doesn't speak to my issue with the update "statuses" themselves - in my opinion, they shouldn't use a status like "Referred" at all if all it really means is your file is sitting in a huge pile ready to be looked at. Personally when I was referred in March, I got really excited because I thought it would mean I would hear something soon (maybe in a matter or 2-3 weeks). Over a month has gone by (and more than a month for others) and nothing has changed, which has caused me an unbelievable amount of stress and frustration.

What makes it worse is when the school starts sending emails about OSAP deadlines to applicants who haven't heard back yet...I've noticed a LOT of posts on here recently from panicked applicants who are trying to figure out what it could mean.

i love your name.

Hehe thanks. Its true! I'm currently preparing for my second LSAT rewrite so I have a better chance next cycle if I don't get in. Never giving up! Going to get into law school if it kills me.

i love your name.

• Like 1

Has anyone in this thread heard anything yet? No change for me yet, I've been calling them every week and hear the same thing (my application is still with the committee...no, they can't comment on how long it will take...no, there's no limit on how long an application is reviewed...hopefully i'll hear something soon...yadda yadda). Referred since March 15.

Has anyone in this thread heard anything yet? No change for me yet, I've been calling them every week and hear the same thing (my application is still with the committee...no, they can't comment on how long it will take...no, there's no limit on how long an application is reviewed...hopefully i'll hear something soon...yadda yadda). Referred since March 15.

I've been referred since the end of February. Waiting is tough. Given what Student15 has said, I'm not expecting any real movement until around the end of May (well, I'm at least trying to avoid checking SIS every two hours until that time).

I don't think there is any more trends after one is "referred", regardless of when they were referred.

referred since late Feb and officially going batshit crazy from the wait

i think Windsor is my last realistic hope (aside from dual)

• Like 1

referred since late Feb and officially going batshit crazy from the wait

i think Windsor is my last realistic hope (aside from dual)

I feel your pain. What are your stats like?

Good news (kind of)! I called in for the umpteenth time today and spoke to someone at the registrar's office (these are the people that take care of updating SIS and sending out the letters and emails but don't actually have a clue about what goes on in admissions decisions and tell you so when you try to call for an update). She said they all got an email from the adcom saying they will be forwarding some decisions in the next couple of days. Which means hopefully there will be some movement this week (or next week given the Victoria Day long weekend)!

*Fingers crossed!

Good news (kind of)! I called in for the umpteenth time today and spoke to someone at the registrar's office (these are the people that take care of updating SIS and sending out the letters and emails but don't actually have a clue about what goes on in admissions decisions and tell you so when you try to call for an update). She said they all got an email from the adcom saying they will be forwarding some decisions in the next couple of days. Which means hopefully there will be some movement this week (or next week given the Victoria Day long weekend)!

*Fingers crossed!

this is definitely positive news, but at this stage in the game, i would've hoped that they would be forwarding a little more than SOME decisions.

Looking at last year's accepted thread, it seems like the last bit of en masse action took place around the week of May 23(ish), with some residues in the first week or two of June, after that not many more were admitted. I guess maybe we should expect the same this year...

I have been referred sine December of last year (2012), haven't seen any movement made on my application, is this good or bad?

any movement at all today?

it's almost June and I'm getting pretty antsy...

I called Windsor today to ask about the "referred to admissions committee" status and was told that several decisions will be made within the next week. However, most of the decisions that have been made are for the wait list or rejected. There are three bins full of these decisions that are still being updated in the system. If you're not in one of those three bins then you are still being considered by the committee. I've never wanted to get no response from a law school this badly before... Well at least for the next week.

I called Windsor today to ask about the "referred to admissions committee" status and was told that several decisions will be made within the next week. However, most of the decisions that have been made are for the wait list or rejected. There are three bins full of these decisions that are still being updated in the system. If you're not in one of those three bins then you are still being considered by the committee. I've never wanted to get no response from a law school this badly before... Well at least for the next week.

This is really depressing news. My one friend got the wait list e-mail yesterday and my other friend's status changed today to "not admissible," so this seems pretty accurate.

If they are going to reject me (some of us), I'd rather we hear it sooner rather than later. Hopefully by the end of next week as you said we'd hear something at least..