Sign in to follow this  
artsci10

IamA Windsor 1L - ask me (almost) anything

After scrolling through some of the response, I still don't have a great grasp on the campus residences. How bad are they? I want to be close to the law school. Thanks.

Avoid them. For the reason of meal plan alone, avoid them. You can be close to school without living in residence. Did I mentioned the meal plan?

• Like 1

Thanks for the laugh! It's that bad, eh? 

I just want to be with a stone's throw of the law school. Literally. I want to minimize the inconveniences!

Are there any specific apartments that law students tend to rent in?

I understand that some of the first year students will end up with a schedule with no class on Fridays. If I am not this fortunate, can one appeal their schedule?

Thanks. 

(Great work on here, by the way.)

Are there any specific apartments that law students tend to rent in?

I understand that some of the first year students will end up with a schedule with no class on Fridays. If I am not this fortunate, can one appeal their schedule?

Thanks. 

(Great work on here, by the way.)

You cannot appeal your schedule. You get what you are given. However, there was a circumstance this year where some L1s had a certain class on Thursday and others had the exact same class with the exact same professor Friday morning. It is safe to say the Thursday class was packed regularly.

Campbell Manor and Canterburry are probably the most popular among law students in my opinion

Edited by youcanthandlethetruth
  • Like 1

When exactly do we find out our schedule? I think I remember reading something about a Welcome Day in Toronto for incoming students, does anyone have any details about this?

When exactly do we find out our schedule? I think I remember reading something about a Welcome Day in Toronto for incoming students, does anyone have any details about this?

You won't find out your class schedule until orientation week. Even though everyone has the same 1L courses, there are big differences in schedule. You cannot change or appeal your schedule (people have tried very hard in the past).

Can you talk a bit about the orientation week? What is it like? What can 1L's expect? Thanks.

You won't find out your class schedule until orientation week. Even though everyone has the same 1L courses, there are big differences in schedule. You cannot change or appeal your schedule (people have tried very hard in the past).

Thanks! I assumed we wouldn't be able to change our schedules.

Does anyone know anything about a welcome event in Toronto?

Can you talk a bit about the orientation week? What is it like? What can 1L's expect? Thanks.

The orientation is fun! Last year, there were a lot of events throughout September including but not limited to getting introduced to the various bar's in Windsor, (i.e. Room, Loop, Bull N Barrel), boat cruise on the detroit river, a formal, baseball game (which unfortunately got rained out, but it is the thought that counts), bowling 

Last year we got a booklet of events ahead of time with the option to pay in advance (or take a wait and see approach with the risk of an event selling out ... I don't know if any did, but the formal was pretty popular)

In general, you want to attend these events. Even if you are not so keen on the event itself, it is likely your colleagues will be there and you will want to meet them!

• Like 1

hi there,

long time lurker, first time poster.

still have not found a place to stay haha...you could say that i've been lazy.

was wondering about the old town hall apartments on sandwich aka Sandwich Town Hall. it's near the jail (this part turns me off completely) and near the public library. has anyone heard anything good / bad about this place?

i read that last december police found over 10 guns in a 21-year old woman's house around 3600 sandwich street. terribly scared of that...

also, what are your thoughts on alumni residence?

cheers

(apologies if these questions have been raised in the past)

Edited by studentnumberseven

I'm not sure about the specific building you're talking about, though I may know of it, but I lived right near the prison in Sandwich town this year and I can say I have mixed reviews. The area is great, very close to food, close enough to walk to school, BUT, it is a bit ghetto and there are no legit grocery stores in the area. My house did get broken into, but I don't really blame the area as much as I think it was just a random crackhead on a Saturday night. Other than that, I had no issues at all in the area. Neighbours were great, didn't feel threatened at night, great places to eat, and rent is exceptionally cheap. If you're in an apartment, I doubt there's any serious chance of a break-in anyway.

Cheers

hi there,

long time lurker, first time poster.

still have not found a place to stay haha...you could say that i've been lazy.

was wondering about the old town hall apartments on sandwich aka Sandwich Town Hall. it's near the jail (this part turns me off completely) and near the public library. has anyone heard anything good / bad about this place?

i read that last december police found over 10 guns in a 21-year old woman's house around 3600 sandwich street. terribly scared of that...

also, what are your thoughts on alumni residence?

cheers

(apologies if these questions have been raised in the past)

Studentnumberseven (hey, I wonder if we're related???): the best advice I can give is to get out there in person, as soon as possible and make a decision only after seeing the place. There are many fine places to live, but also a lot of absolutely horrible places, some of which might seem nice on paper or even look good in person. The only way to really avoid disaster is by driving out to Windsor.

Set aside a weekend, book a dozen or so places to view and just marathon it. And then once you find a place you like, act quickly to secure it.

As for Alumni, there is much conversation about res in the threads above. More than anything else, you should be aware 1) that you'll be living alongside undergrads who are most likely younger and less mature than you; 2) the food is really bad; 3) it's very expensive.

Just wondering if anyone knows their account balance? Mine just shows the amount I paid for residence and the deposit, not what is owing. Heading up there Tuesday to check out the campus and pay it up, figure I should have a general idea of what I need to pay. Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone knows their account balance? Mine just shows the amount I paid for residence and the deposit, not what is owing. Heading up there Tuesday to check out the campus and pay it up, figure I should have a general idea of what I need to pay. Thanks.

The account balance probably won't be available online for a couple more weeks - I was told it would be available August 1st. If you call the Cashier's Office, they'll tell you your balance.

I know this may have been asked, but how necessary is a car in Windsor? Specifically if living downtown, very close to the bus station/trail - I'd be bringing my bike out with me (mostly for exercise) so I could use it to get to school/around, but what about grocery stores and so on? And how is parking on/near campus - is there usually space available, what is the cost, etc

Thanks!

My question is similar to what Lamps8 asked above, I have found a place Downtown and will be bringing my car - I have not heard the greatest things about the school parking, wondering what the other options available are? I heard that there is also municipal parking available..

Hey guys, I think you'll find your questions answered much faster in the facebook group :)

• Like 1