Sign in to follow this  
Alpopo

Accepted 2013!

Out of curiosity, what were your softs like?

I'm a pharmacist and have pretty good work experience (community, hospital, drug research) and was heavily involved during pharmacy school. 

Sminhas23.....im not positive what my gpa for my last two years was. I'm guessing tops 3.4 ..... i lost my letter from OLSAS but remember thinking, crap my cGPA and L2 are very similar. Hope that helps!! ANd goodluck to everyone who is still waiting!

Any idea when the scholarship and bursary info packs are sent out? I've paid my deposit, but haven't heard anything since being admitted.

And it's good to know that we'll have some Canucks fans in the class. Strength in numbers.

• Like 1

Regarding scholarships and bursaries, my suggestion is to not wait for the faculty, and instead contact the school (enrolment services, I think).  Here's the link.  If you were a U of C student at any point in the past, and still have access to Student Centre (peoplesoft), you can apply through the awards section as soon as they become available (no clue on the precise date, but my memory is that it opens sometime in May).

The differential tuition bursary requires a different application process, and it actually opened on February 1st.  Here's the link to the FAQ.  Note that applications are due May 1st, and supporting documents are due May 15th.  I don't know what students who are admitted after May 15th do regarding the bursary.  Looking at the FAQ, it says that you apply online through Student Centre (when I applied as a 1L I had to apply with a paper form), which, together with the February 1st date, seem to apply that the awards may all be available for application now.  If you have a U of C student ID, I suggest checking Student Centre right now.  If you don't have an ID yet, call (not email) Karen on Tuesday, and ask when you'll be issued one, and specifically say it's for applying for funding.

Congrats to everyone already admitted/accepted!

• Like 1

I'll make this a separate post since it's a different topic.

In the questions thread in this section, I've made an offer to give 0L students (accepted, or have an offer and are deciding) a mini tour of the faculty (or campus, if you want), and answer any questions about the law school.  I'll echo that offer in this thread, so more people see it.  I'm available between noon and 2 PM every Tuesday and Thursday--just shoot me a PM and I'll meet you somewhere on campus, then we'll grab a coffee and chat.  Note that next week (Feb 19-22) is reading week, so some facilities may not be open.  Also, my personal availability is somewhat limited during reading week.  I'm good the rest of the semester, though!

• Like 2

Regarding scholarships and bursaries, my suggestion is to not wait for the faculty, and instead contact the school (enrolment services, I think).  Here's the link.  If you were a U of C student at any point in the past, and still have access to Student Centre (peoplesoft), you can apply through the awards section as soon as they become available (no clue on the precise date, but my memory is that it opens sometime in May).

Time to get on it, then. Thanks for the information, HoFChaos. And thanks also for offering a mini tour. I may take you up on that in the coming weeks. Enjoy reading week!

Received an offer today via e-mail!!

3.6~3.7 (L2), 161

Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing your ECs with us?

Accepted yesterday with a 163, L2 of 3.84 and cGPA of 3.58.  I'd say average softs... little in the way of extra curriculars and volunteering, but i worked substantial part time hours at a law firm during school, and also worked at the same law firm during summers.  

Will be declining in favour of not going to ls, so hopefully one of you fine folks gets my spot.  

Accepted yesterday with a 163, L2 of 3.84 and cGPA of 3.58.  I'd say average softs... little in the way of extra curriculars and volunteering, but i worked substantial part time hours at a law firm during school, and also worked at the same law firm during summers.  

Will be declining in favour of not going to ls, so hopefully one of you fine folks gets my spot.  

Was working at a law firm a turn off? What are you planning to do instead? Wish you luck.

Hey everyone, hope this isn't too off-topic. I'm just wondering what the protocol is with regards to the March 31st deposit deadline. If I send in my deposit to secure my place at U of C, but ending up getting admitted to an Ontario school, am I still free to attend the Ontario school? I realize I'll lose my deposit but I just want to make sure I leave myself with as many options as possible (all my family is in Ontario and they kinda want me to stick around).

Hey everyone, hope this isn't too off-topic. I'm just wondering what the protocol is with regards to the March 31st deposit deadline. If I send in my deposit to secure my place at U of C, but ending up getting admitted to an Ontario school, am I still free to attend the Ontario school? I realize I'll lose my deposit but I just want to make sure I leave myself with as many options as possible (all my family is in Ontario and they kinda want me to stick around).

I called Karen about this exact same issue. The $200 gets you a provisional spot. You're free to accept any other offer.

• Like 2

Was working at a law firm a turn off? What are you planning to do instead? Wish you luck.

No, I'd already been working at the firm for 3 years by the time I applied, so I knew what I was getting into (to some degree).  I am planning to continue on in academia solely because I love researching, writing and studying.  I basically came to the realisation that,  while I'm sure I would like law school and do just fine as a lawyer, I've already found something I love doing.  I figured I might as well give that a go (follow your passion and all that)... law school will still be there if I ever change my mind!

Best of luck to you as well!

• Like 6

No, I'd already been working at the firm for 3 years by the time I applied, so I knew what I was getting into (to some degree).  I am planning to continue on in academia solely because I love researching, writing and studying.  I basically came to the realisation that,  while I'm sure I would like law school and do just fine as a lawyer, I've already found something I love doing.  I figured I might as well give that a go (follow your passion and all that)... law school will still be there if I ever change my mind!

Best of luck to you as well!

Will you be pursuing a PhD then?

Question for those that have been accepted:

Did admissions contact any of the employers on your resume for references?

I ask because I have 2 previous jobs on my resume where the manager I listed is no longer in that position.

Do admissions contact past/current employers for phone references?

thanks for any information!

Congrats everyone on your well deserved acceptances....I'm patiently waiting and hoping to get into UofC as it is my first choice.

YES! IN IN IN! Got the email from Karen this afternoon!

My stats are posted elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure it was my personal statement and softs that made the difference, as my stats were not supremely amazing, and arguably worse than some of those wait-listed thus far. 

Super excited, and likely accepting (~80%, still waiting for Osgoode, which I would also strongly consider) as I'm really interested in Calgary's offerings in environmental and energy law. I also have family in Alberta which would be a nice support network. 

I'm so relieved and thrilled!

Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back! 

• Like 11

YES! IN IN IN! Got the email from Karen this afternoon!

My stats are posted elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure it was my personal statement and softs that made the difference, as my stats were not supremely amazing, and arguably worse than some of those wait-listed thus far. 

Super excited, and likely accepting (~80%, still waiting for Osgoode, which I would also strongly consider) as I'm really interested in Calgary's offerings in environmental and energy law. I also have family in Alberta which would be a nice support network. 

I'm so relieved and thrilled!

Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back! 

Congrats! There's been some really impressive stats waitlisted, must feel good to get that acceptance.