Sign in to follow this  
Alpopo

Accepted 2013!

Accepted by email today, unbelievably excited!

LSAT- 165 (best), GPA - 3.7ish, last 2- 3.8ish. Seven years of work experience in oil and gas and financial services and a sociology undergrad... I'm a mixed bag :)

Most likely accepting, really looking forward to meeting everyone!

• Like 1

I received my offer of admission today...it's my first offer, so I'm more relieved than happy right now! I hadn't really investigated all the schools I applied to, but I guess it's now time to do so...congrats to everyone who has received acceptances already! I've been reading/lurking for awhile and started stressing out about not having heard from any Canadian schools, so I am happy to have heard from one!

My stats are in order I suppose...

LSAT: 160 (best)

OLSAS GPA: 3.6

• Like 1

Congrats to BHC1, zebra9, KJD, Eisenlohr, sminhas23, blahblah, bynski, and tennis4life! What a wonderful thing to get that email, hey? I look forward to meeting you all.

I moved to Calgary about a year ago. If you're from another city, can't make up your mind about which school to attend, and feel that your decision hinges solely on cycling-related issues, as it should, don't rule out Calgary. This is no Victoria, where you're uncool if you don't bike to class year round in a hemp sweater, and Calgary doesn't have curvy roads along the ocean front, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the beautiful commuter routes in the city and the panoramic longer rides on the outskirts. Cochrane makes for a lovely Sunday morning spin. I also have a garage complete with a work stand, tools, and a beer fridge. Tune-ups are easily exchanged for lecture notes. Lycra hugs will not be necessary.

Seriously, congrats everyone!

• Like 3

Congrats to BHC1, zebra9, KJD, Eisenlohr, sminhas23, blahblah, bynski, and tennis4life! What a wonderful thing to get that email, hey? I look forward to meeting you all.

I moved to Calgary about a year ago. If you're from another city, can't make up your mind about which school to attend, and feel that your decision hinges solely on cycling-related issues, as it should, don't rule out Calgary. This is no Victoria, where you're uncool if you don't bike to class year round in a hemp sweater, and Calgary doesn't have curvy roads along the ocean front, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the beautiful commuter routes in the city and the panoramic longer rides on the outskirts. Cochrane makes for a lovely Sunday morning spin. I also have a garage complete with a work stand, tools, and a beer fridge. Tune-ups are easily exchanged for lecture notes. Lycra hugs will not be necessary.

Seriously, congrats everyone!

thanks! im from vancouver, not sure if i can handle the calgary weather so im just waiting for an acceptance from ubc. 

Hi everyone!

A neurotic lurker and first time poster!

I was admitted with a 155 LSAT, poor CGPA but I ended it in style: GPA: 3.75 L2 (finished my last semester off with a 4.0).

Tailored my personal statement heavily to Calgary because I believed it was the ideal fit for me as a prospective law student.

Mixed bag of volunteer experience, work experience, and involvement in the community.   Multilingual as well.

If you have a passion and drive for the law, hopefully I am a testament for some hope. 

Do not get discouraged, Calgary is holistic in nature so there is hope.  Do not give up. 

• Like 3

Wow, congrats! I am really glad for your encouraging post. 

I also have a less than ideal cGPA (one particularly bad semester), which I have managed to salvage for a L2 of 3.67. The reason your post gives me hope is because passion and drive for law are the two things that I possess, and I really tried to emphasize this in my coursework (lots of BLAW courses) and volunteer work. I too tried to convince them of my genuine desire to settle in Calgary. 

Do you mind sharing when your application went "complete"? Thanks! :)

Hi everyone!

A neurotic lurker and first time poster!

I was admitted with a 155 LSAT, poor CGPA but I ended it in style: GPA: 3.75 L2 (finished my last semester off with a 4.0).

Tailored my personal statement heavily to Calgary because I believed it was the ideal fit for me as a prospective law student.

Mixed bag of volunteer experience, work experience, and involvement in the community.   Multilingual as well.

If you have a passion and drive for the law, hopefully I am a testament for some hope. 

Do not get discouraged, Calgary is holistic in nature so there is hope.  Do not give up. 

January 30th at approximately noon.  I was actually preparing for the GMAT to possibly pursue a MBA Coop to help me get some management experience.  I want to burn my LSAT and GMAT books now because as an immigrant to Canada who is now a proud Canadian citizen, I truly hated that forsaken test.  Good thing my LSAT score was sufficient for this year.  The truth to this story is that even if you do not get in this year, always have hope for a better LSAT scores/grades.  Make sure you have a professor or two who got to "KNOW" you as a person and human being.  It will go long ways to help make future connections. 

Hi all,

Long time lurker; first time poster. This is my second cycle attempt, last year I only tried for 4 Ontario schools (UofT, Oz, UWO, Queens). Last year, I applied at the beginning of my 4th year undergrad hoping to start in Sep 2012. That didn't pan out, but I was able to regroup. In 4th year I garnered up EC accomplishments that were very strong and unique that I could not have talked about in my 2012 cycle application. I also greatly improved my PS, and got way better letters of recommendations from profs I got to know really well in my 4th year that I didn't have when I applied in last year's cycle (i.e. thesis supervisor, and a prof from my seminar who has become a friend of mine now). In September 2012, I devoted myself to LSAT study for 3 months to get 161, after a first time attempt of 157, and second time attempt of 153 (bad timing to write the Oct 2011 test since I was juggling a million other things).

I got accepted to U of C on Friday February 1 by email (wanted to post then but had some issues getting registered on the forum). This is the first offer I've gotten.

Stats:

LSAT: 161 (best)

OLSAS CPGA: 3.37

OLSAS L2: 3.69

I've spent almost my whole life in suburban Southern Ontario but very strongly/heavily considering heading out West; I think I've spent like 12 hours researching Calgary as a city and reading everything this forum has to offer on the subject of school comparisons. I think I'm 80% there, I'm not sure what could sway me to another school if I get accepted (I'm pretty much completely open to travel and changing up cities, and open to working in either Vancouver or Calgary or Toronto). Just trying to work out hypothetical logistics with my girlfriend of 5 years to see what she would like to do (she's graduating from undergrad this year). Good luck to all the others!

• Like 3

Thanks bhc.

By the way, does anyone know if Calgary favor residents from Alberta, like maritime schools?

I have never heard of this. I think AB, BC, and ON students get no regional preference advantages whatsoever. (possible exceptions: rural BC students at TRU and rural ON students at Lakehead).

• Like 1

In via email a couple hours ago!

cGPA: 3.4

L2: 3.82

LSAT: 160, 168 (Dec 2012)

yaaaay nice to know I have the option to stay in town next year! Congrats to all the others recently admitted too!

Received an email today, so excited!

3.62 157

Very stellar recommendations, and good work experience at university.

Got accepted 2 weeks ago, just found out about this forum today!

LSAT: 165

CGPA: 3.97

Hi everyone! I look forward to meeting all of you!

• Like 1