Sign in to follow this  
Turkeytime

Hopefuls 2013

There's still plenty of time, and you have a solid GPA.

Thanks for the reassurance.

any possibility of more acceptances before the new year?

hORNS speaking to the admission office yesterday it sounds like they are still working at it so I'd say very likely. Also, I don't know what you're worried about. Your stats are great I'd say you're basically gauranteed a spot.

• Like 1

Because I'm a little lot obsessive, I called the admissions office and it looks like we'll be waiting until the new year. Good luck everyone and enjoy the break! :) 

• Like 1

The university is officially closed now. I guess we are all waiting until at least january.

Edited by hORNS

Still waiting to hear from U of T (and Queen's, though I think I'm likely admitted there). Already in at Ottawa and Osgoode and Cornell.

GPA: 3.78/3.82 (according to the letter OLSAS sent me)

LSAT: 167 (94th percentile)

University of Ottawa undergraduate, major PoliSci, minor English

One year full-time work in a combination of academia and consulting. One year full time in government data services.

I know I'm below both medians, but I'm trying to stay hopeful! I wish there were some online portal like Ottawa and Osgoode had.

Best of luck to everyone else in this topic. Hopefully we all hear (good things) soon!

Still waiting to hear from U of T (and Queen's, though I think I'm likely admitted there). Already in at Ottawa and Osgoode and Cornell.

GPA: 3.78/3.82 (according to the letter OLSAS sent me)

LSAT: 167 (94th percentile)

University of Ottawa undergraduate, major PoliSci, minor English

One year full-time work in a combination of academia and consulting. One year full time in government data services.

I know I'm below both medians, but I'm trying to stay hopeful! I wish there were some online portal like Ottawa and Osgoode had.

Best of luck to everyone else in this topic. Hopefully we all hear (good things) soon!

I'd be shocked if you were not admitted to U of T.

Hey all,

So my current stats sit at cgpa/b3 3.72 and b2  3.82, w/ 169. Pretty good softs, I think.

I just concluded fall semester of 4th year, and had a 3.95 from this semester's courses.

I have sent those grades into OLSAS.

My question is: Will OLSAS report that as a 3.95 or just report the individual grades, or both? What will UofT see? The marks are a significant improvement on my grades, and I'm hoping they will help with my application. I am nervous about admission as I feel I am sitting on the fringes. I was happy to see high marks this first semester, and I'm just looking to see if anyone knows, from experience, how these grades would factor in.

Thanks a ton. I will likely  call OLSAS sometiem this week, but this forum is always good for tons of relevant insight and experience, so I figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks

Hey all,

So my current stats sit at cgpa/b3 3.72 and b2  3.82, w/ 169. Pretty good softs, I think.

I just concluded fall semester of 4th year, and had a 3.95 from this semester's courses.

I have sent those grades into OLSAS.

My question is: Will OLSAS report that as a 3.95 or just report the individual grades, or both? What will UofT see? The marks are a significant improvement on my grades, and I'm hoping they will help with my application. I am nervous about admission as I feel I am sitting on the fringes. I was happy to see high marks this first semester, and I'm just looking to see if anyone knows, from experience, how these grades would factor in.

Thanks a ton. I will likely  call OLSAS sometiem this week, but this forum is always good for tons of relevant insight and experience, so I figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks

I've read in other threads that some people are accepted after UofT gets their grades from the most recent semester...so UofT will see the marks that you've just earned yourself!

I've read in other threads that some people are accepted after UofT gets their grades from the most recent semester...so UofT will see the marks that you've just earned yourself!

Thanks. I kind of figured as much, and I was more hoping to get insight from anyone who applied last year about HOW the grades were reported. Individual grades, or are they counted as an overall GPA like the first three in that letter sent out in mid-dec? I ask as a U of T admissions rep told me U of T just accepts whatever grades OLSAS gives it, and does not calculate anything themselves. While I'm not sure of how truthful he was being, I don't really have any other info to go on and will accept that. So I'm wondering if anyone can clarify as to what sorts of calculations OLSAS will use. Sorry if I'm being unclear.

Thanks

I thought it might be a good idea to redirect some of the discussion in the "Accepted 2013" thread to this thread. To address whether or not UofT has changed its admissions policy, I did a bit of number crunching. The tables below reflect the B3 years and the LSAT score reported by ls.ca members in the acceptance threads. You'll notice that some numbers have ~ in front of them. That's where people estimated their B3. Please note that in my calculations for the average and median for 2013, I didn't include the estimated numbers.

Acceptance 2013

Date CGPA - 3 LSAT

30-Nov-12 3.95 164

30-Nov-12 3.41 169

30-Nov-12 3.67 170

01-Dec-12 3.78 168

03-Dec-12 3.8 175

03-Dec-12 3.8 171

14-Dec-12 ~3.8 164

14-Dec-12 3.66 168

14-Dec-12 ~3.75 166

14-Dec-12 3.88 164

15-Dec-12 ~3.75 168

09-Jan-13 ~3.55 167

09-Jan-13 84%? 164

10-Jan-13 3.65 167

Average 3.733333333 167.5

Median 3.78 167.5

Acceptance 2012

Date CGPA - 3 LSAT

05-Dec-11 3.93 173

06-Dec-11 3.87 175

07-Dec-11 3.75 175

09-Dec-11 3.87 165

13-Dec-11 3.78 171

13-Dec-11 3.85 166

11-Jan-12 3.75 173

17-Jan-12 3.83 165

31-Jan-12 3.75 174

09-Feb-12 3.98 163

21-Mar-12 3.96 165

26-Mar-12 3.82 165

03-Apr-12 3.84 167

17-Apr-12 3.9 164

25-Apr-12 3.77 165

03-May-12 3.71 168

15-May-12 3.85 164

Average 3.835882353 168.1176471

Median 3.84 166

EDIT: Eugh, someone please teach me how to insert tables.

Edited by Turkeytime
  • Like 2

I was reading the JD Admissions criteria on the UofT website and they now say:

"The review process is holistic, which means that we look at all of these factors together.  Students tell us they are surprised at how much emphasis we place on the personal essays.  We rely on the essays for information that cannot be conveyed by numbers . Multiple readers assess each file to get a full sense of the unique strengths each applicant will bring to the first year class.

Our holistic admissions approach also means that if your grades and LSAT score are below our admissions statistics, you should consider applying anyway. It is possible to gain admission to the Faculty of Law with scores below our admissions statistics." 

I am pretty sure the website did NOT say this last year... what does everyone think? 

• Like 1

It's mentioned that U of T's process is holistic for a long time actually, and certainly one look at the students that attend U of T would confirm that they aren't just numbers robots.

• Like 1

I was reading the JD Admissions criteria on the UofT website and they now say:

"The review process is holistic, which means that we look at all of these factors together.  Students tell us they are surprised at how much emphasis we place on the personal essays.  We rely on the essays for information that cannot be conveyed by numbers . Multiple readers assess each file to get a full sense of the unique strengths each applicant will bring to the first year class.

Our holistic admissions approach also means that if your grades and LSAT score are below our admissions statistics, you should consider applying anyway. It is possible to gain admission to the Faculty of Law with scores below our admissions statistics." 

I am pretty sure the website did NOT say this last year... what does everyone think? 

This paragraph was the only reason I actually applied to University of Toronto. I'm not expecting to get in, but if there is any chance whatsoever, it will be because of my personal essays. I do wish they looked at reference letters as well. Oh well, one step at a time :P

Edited by Cosby

It's mentioned that U of T's process is holistic for a long time actually, and certainly one look at the students that attend U of T would confirm that they aren't just numbers robots.

That's true. I think the difference is that this year they made it very clear that they're holistic by including that paragraph (as opposed to saying it one sentence...)

Honestly, I can't tell whether or not they're more or less holistic than last year. Even by comparing the numbers between the two years, there isn't much of a difference (at least for LSAT scores...). On top of that, there are more data points for the period of December - January 2013 than there are for December - January 2012. So, the data's skewed anyways :P

My strategy: Think of the worst possible scenario. If I don't get in, I still get to go to a great law school in the fall. I'm happy :)

This waiting is driving me insane. Anyone else check their phone religiously to see if if uoft called?

Edited by hORNS

This waiting is driving me insane. Anyone else check their phone religiously to see if if uoft called?

I used to. I'm not sure if you have caller id, but I figure if I miss their call because I'm in class, they'll call me back. It's ok :) 

I used to. I'm not sure if you have caller id, but I figure if I miss their call because I'm in class, they'll call me back. It's ok :)

I missed their call last year (on a Friday afternoon) and they left a voicemail. I expect they would do the same this year. 

And yes, that was likely the longest weekend of my life, because they didn't actually say I had been accepted and I was paranoid I had missed something in my application. 

• Like 1