Sign in to follow this  
vegso

Accepted 2013

Got my email like 10 minutes ago

I lol at the email talking about a 20% hike in tuition and trying to justify it somehow, go screw yourself law school tuition.

good luck all!

• Like 1

I lol at the email talking about a 20% hike in tuition and trying to justify it somehow, go screw yourself law school tuition.

good luck all!

Just got my email too!!! 

GPA= 3.8

LSAT= 163

Good luck to everyone else applying :)

Congrats to you both! Do either of you have Sask connections?

In today as well!

No Sask Connection!

First Offer so Far!

Congrats! Is that your b2? or cGPA?

Also, for those with offers, what is the deadline to respond?

Edited by selling junk

Oh right I forgot I should mention Sask connection, yes I have some. Mother and grandmother were born and raised there and I have a whole whack of family from sask

Deadline to respond is jan 31

Got my email today as well.

LSAT was very good, GPA wasn't great. No connections to Saskatchewan.

Based on the letter they sent it seems like you can accept the offer and still go to another school instead, only you lose your deposit. Is that right? Just want to make sure I understand everything before I make my decision.

Got my email today as well.

LSAT was very good, GPA wasn't great. No connections to Saskatchewan.

Based on the letter they sent it seems like you can accept the offer and still go to another school instead, only you lose your deposit. Is that right? Just want to make sure I understand everything before I make my decision.

That's exactly how it works--you will lose your deposit $ if you pay it and decide to go elsewhere. You'll appreciate the law and policy behind this in first year contracts.

Edit: I didn't mean that in a condescending way. I'm studying for my contracts exam, so reading your post set off a lot of lightbulbs in my head. 

Edited by Ptolemy

In today as well!

No Sask Connection!

First Offer so Far!

Congrats! Is that your b2? or cGPA?

Also, for those with offers, what is the deadline to respond?

3.35 is my GPA

Didnt Calculate B2 but shoud be around 3.7-3.8

Congrats to you both! Do either of you have Sask connections?

No Saskatchewan connections, but it's a good school. Good luck on your application!

In! 

CGPA: 3.45/4

LSAT: 170

Second time applying...got waitlisted last year.

Good ECs and work experience etc.

Is that a more recent LSAT?? Beyond crazy that you would be waitlisted with a 170.....

In! 

CGPA: 3.45/4

LSAT: 170

Second time applying...got waitlisted last year.

Good ECs and work experience etc.

Yup. Got waitlisted with 163.

Oh wow... waitlisted with a 3.45cGPA/163?!

Was your B2 higher in the year you were waitlisted? Do you have Sask connection?

This kind of talk is making me nervous as my stats are quite borderline. 

Oh wow... waitlisted with a 3.45cGPA/163?!

Was your B2 higher in the year you were waitlisted? Do you have Sask connection?

This kind of talk is making me nervous as my stats are quite borderline. 

No Sask connection and no change in marks. My B2 is around 3.52. 

But don't worry...I'm pretty sure that my getting waitlisted had more to do with me applying very late in the cycle or screwing up my  application. 

good luck all!

Ever heard of "willingness to pay"? :-P

They lag far behind most (all?) other Canadian school's tuition numbers, and poor saps from all over will pay whatever for this unbelievably amazing awesomeness covered degree, so why wouldn't they jack the price up?

It is hilarious seeing them try to justify it in dubious ways though, and then seeing the student body bitch about it and the new dean justify it all over again.  If only the truth was politically correct, right?

It was even funnier getting an email last year that some committee had "approved" the tuition hike.

Edit- we already had a recent tuition hike, the one you are talking about has not been approved yet, but I would bet on it happening.

Edited by Fletcher Reed

Oh I definitely understand why they do it, and I'm happy I'll be through LS before we hit US levels of crazy price

I was accepted back on Dec 11 as well.

LSAT: 162

GPA: 3.59/4.5, best 2 were 3.89 in y3/4

Sask Connection: 1 Grandparent born there, with family

And, if it's worth anything I will also have an MA by the time of enrollment.

I will likely be declining as I was just accepted to the University of Manitoba, my home province. Best of luck to everyone!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I can't speak to whether the reasons stated were the real reasons or not, but I do personally think that the largest transition is from 0L to 1L. Unlike upper year students, incoming 1Ls currently have no formed relationships with other students, no understanding of the law, no experience with legal research, etc. Many have never done a moot or been in a law library. None have had the kind of legal education that only in person classes can bring (I'm thinking lots of questions/discussion).  Many law schools are going fully online for all years. The way I see it they made a decision to try to keep some semblance of normalcy for the entering 1Ls, putting extra resources/effort into them, rather than taking from 2Ls and 3Ls. But I can absolutely appreciate the feeling that it is unfair. All students will likely pay the same tuition, and surely most students would prefer an in-person experience. I do hope that admin/the SLS hear you, and perhaps complaints from your fellow students, and are able to accomodate something that feels more fair to you. These are definitely shit times. 
    • That’s unfair to upper year students. Admin has chosen to sacrifice 2Ls and 3Ls so that 1Ls get to be almost fully in-person.    1L’s were given a choice if they want their classes to be online, or in person – why can’t 2L’s and 3L’s? For 1L’s who choose in-person, all their classes are in person except constitutional. Upper years don't even get 1 class in person. We were told of a “mixed model” but that was thrown out completely.   Many of the upper year classes are capped at 25 people. These classes can happen in the larger lecture halls that hold 80+, and the 80 student classes kept online. This is especially confusing when all of Western undergrad has moved online, the campus is essentially entirely empty buildings.   Why is absolutely no effort being made to accommodate upper year students? The decision has even been made for winter term for upper years to be online – why is there no flexibility here at all? At no point has admin suggested that they will try to move for in-person classes in the winter semester if circumstances change.    It is lazy for admin to do nothing for upper years. I cannot help but think that various economic and business reasons were factored into the decision to give upper years the short end of the stick. I say this because there has been a total lack of transparency in the decision-making process, we have not been given an explanation as to why admin has so quickly given up on our educational experience.    The Dean reasons that social integration and building connections is important for 1Ls. But this is just as important in 2L and 3L. Plus, the social integration and academic support between 1Ls and upper years is so crucial to building connections at law school. I know my 1L experience would not have been as successful if I didn't have the help I got from upper years.    Further, two-thirds of covid-19 cases come from the GTA. London is fairly safe and will be safer come September. While there is a chance of transmission by having students move back, admin may students to isolate for 14 days prior to start of classes.   I have no hope left in admin as they appear to be set in their decision. I truly hope students keep the pressure on admin, especially the SLS at Western Law, to try to get some sort of in person education for upper year students. For most of us, it is our last year(s) of schooling before we enter the workforce forever – let’s not let go of it so easily.
    • I have declined the offer. The first concern I had about this program was the cost, and after giving it about 6 weeks' thought, this hasn't changed. All the best to everyone.
    • I'm a little late to this thread, but personal finances are a huge interest of mine, and wanted to contribute. First off, I would highly recommend to anyone a book called The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins. The title really says it all - it provides a simple and easy to follow approach to building personal wealth with the goal of achieving financial independence. It's US centric, but the author is cognizant of international readers, and the discussion is widely applicable to Canadians as well. Even the section on the approach to investing with registered plans applies as Canada has rough equivalents to the US 401(k), Roth IRA, etc. A second book recommendation for those saving up for a down payment is a book called The Wealthy Renter by Alex Avery. The book challenges the notion that it's inherently better to pay a mortgage than rent. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from looking to buy, but the book gives a far too little discussed perspective which is helpful to allow you to assess the reasons you want to buy in light of your own situation. After reading it, I decided that buying a condo/house doesn't really make sense for me right now (which isn't to say that won't change in the future). As for my own situation, I graduated in 2018 with around $60K in debt ($35K in government loans and $25K on my PSLOC). I was very fortunate that at the time, my parents gave myself and my siblings an "advance on our inheritance" of $60K to pay off debt or assist with a down payment. I immediately paid off my government loans before any interest became due, and took the other $25K and put it into my TFSA because I believed I could earn more interest than the prime rate being charged on my PSLOC. I actually drew down my PSLOC further to max out my TFSA. I currently owe roughly $40K on my PSLOC, which goes into repayment beginning tomorrow. My current plan is to pay the minimum payments on it over the next 10 years until it's paid off. This plan may change if interest rates increase significantly. This is definitely not for everyone, and I appreciate that I have a fairly high risk tolerance. As a quick aside, anyone who is reasonably financially responsible and who intends on making RRSP contributions during the year should consider filling out a CRA Form T1213 setting out your intended contribution for the year. The CRA will then provide you a letter that you can bring to your employer authorizing them not to deduct the income tax at source that you would be getting as a refund as a result of your RRSP contribution. No sense in giving the government an interest free loan for the year if you don't have to! Be careful though - if you don't actually make the contributions you indicate on the form, you will have a tax bill for the shortfall of incomes taxes owed when you file your return. I'm now a two year call working in a large Vancouver firm (base salary range is around $110K-$115K for a 2 year call in Vancouver biglaw). I max out my TFSA and RRSP contributions every year which is the current extent of my annual savings. I live what I consider to be a very nice lifestyle. Rent for my 1br downtown apartment is $2,300 per month, I go on 3-4 vacations per year, I eat out and go for drinks with friends regularly (or at least I did pre-Covid), and I'm constantly buying fun stuff to spruce up my place. I don't own a car and rent out my parking spot for $150 a month. I walk or bike almost everywhere, or take transit if I'm going far. I also save a ton on my eating out habit as I legitimately enjoy doing so with my firm and/or our clients, and this is all usually paid for by the firm. This was all on my 1 year call budget. We recently got our 2nd year pay bump which ends up as an extra $800 or so monthly after taxes, and have a decent 2019 bonus coming sometime in the future. My lifestyle already provides most of what I want, so this will likely go mostly to additional savings in non-registered plans. I currently expect to do the same for future salary bumps and bonuses. If I don't have any significant lifestyle changes (a big assumption), and stick it out in biglaw (another big assumption), I could probably retire (or work on a passion project) well before 50 based on the metric for financial independence that's discussed in the book I recommended above. For those interested, that metric is when you are comfortably able to live off of 4% of your assets - so, for example, $2.5M in assets would yield $100K annually (without adjusting for taxes, which may vary significantly based on how you draw that $100K).
    • Can I ask when o-week typically is? Is it the week before block weeks classes start, or is it the week in between block week and first term?