Sign in to follow this  
strangerdanger

Accepted 2013

In at UofA, just checked Beartracks.

3.7ish GPA L2, 160 LSAT

Leaning towards staying in Ontario as of now

Congrats!

Wow that would be a fairly big index drop is those stats are accurate. I sure hope so. :)

3.7ish GPA L2, 160 LSAT

• Like 1

3.7ish GPA L2, 160 LSAT

Hey Country,

Did UofA confirm a GPA for you or was it self-calculated; also congrats

• Like 1

3.7ish GPA L2, 160 LSAT

Could you by any chance e-mail Kim to find out what your confirmed GPA really is? Would benefit a lot of the U of A hopefuls I'd imagine, including myself. Congratulations by the way.

• Like 1

Thanks! yeah it was self-calculated and I'll for sure shoot Kim an email to get a confirmed gpa and let ya'll know. 

In! 

As of today. This is my first offer ever...very excited and relieved!

Although my cGPA isn't great, ~80%, I had an enormous upward trend which meant my GPA at U of A was much higher than that. I confirmed my re-calculated GPA with U of A. 3.9 Alberta scale apparently.

Stats:

GPA: 3.9

LAST: 159

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Like 2

Just talked to Kim and they converted it to a 3.9 L2,...sorry if I got some peoples hopes up 

Ah, this makes more sense. It was too good to be true. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted.

3.7ish GPA L2, 160 LSAT

haha, I knew people would be asking about this!

Judging by your name, you've been lurking on this forum for a while.

I have been doing my fair share of lurking.  Cool forum but not as active as some others.  I definitely think you win best username though Saul!

Also thank you for your AMA thread.

In today.  I only finished applying and sent in the questionnaire a couple of weeks ago so they moved fast.  170 lsat, not sure how to calculate L2 GPA as I only took a couple of courses in my second-to-last year to work.  Assuming then that they take L3 it would  be 3.64

I have already accepted at UBC but here's the thing, and the reason I decided to finish applying to UofA late anyway... money is an issue for me, and if there's any chance I'd get a few thousand dollars off the cost I would probably go to U of A.  But from what I gather reading the package, decisions on this are not made until summer?  Or are the top students (obviously not me) given notice already that they are eligible for money?

I know at UBC they give a handful of scholarships out with admissions (I did not receive one, nor did I expect to) but for the rest you also have to wait til summer (stillnot expecting to, just explaining how it is). Is U of A similar?  Also, what's the financial aid situation?

I should probably post this on its own in a general discussion I guess... let me know if I should move it.

Thanks

• Like 1

In today.  I only finished applying and sent in the questionnaire a couple of weeks ago so they moved fast.  170 lsat, not sure how to calculate L2 GPA as I only took a couple of courses in my second-to-last year to work.  Assuming then that they take L3 it would  be 3.64

I have already accepted at UBC but here's the thing, and the reason I decided to finish applying to UofA late anyway... money is an issue for me, and if there's any chance I'd get a few thousand dollars off the cost I would probably go to U of A.  But from what I gather reading the package, decisions on this are not made until summer?  Or are the top students (obviously not me) given notice already that they are eligible for money?

I know at UBC they give a handful of scholarships out with admissions (I did not receive one, nor did I expect to) but for the rest you also have to wait til summer (stillnot expecting to, just explaining how it is). Is U of A similar?  Also, what's the financial aid situation?

I should probably post this on its own in a general discussion I guess... let me know if I should move it.

Thanks

Congratulations TBL.  Nice LSAT!

I believe you are right that UofA will not make scholarship decisions until June.  I have a 4.0 L2 and a 169 LSAT, and UofA did not indicate in the offer package whether I would receive a scholarship. 

I think you would eventually get something from UofA, since your LSAT score is much higher than the median.  

Have you already considered the cost of living - Vancouver vs. Edmonton?  Even if you don't get a scholarship at UofA, you might still be better off financially in the short term. 

On the other hand, you should also consider the long term financial implications - for example, if you choose UBC, and salaries in Vancouver are significantly higher than in Edmonton for the area of law you want to practice, then you could very well recoup any forgone scholarship dollars soon after graduation. 

Edited by vegan
  • Like 1

Just got an admissions package!.. Never thought I would from U Alberta considering my LSAT, but my grades did it. 157 LSAT and GPA ..honestly not sure, haven't converted it to U Alberta's scale but I think it's around a 3.9 out of 4 (it would be an 88%).

I'm probably turning down for another school though.. good luck people :)

Edited by daw33d
  • Like 3

Congratulations TBL.  Nice LSAT!

I believe you are right that UofA will not make scholarship decisions until June.  I have a 4.0 L2 and a 169 LSAT, and UofA did not indicate in the offer package whether I would receive a scholarship. 

I think you would eventually get something from UofA, since your LSAT score is much higher than the median.  

Have you already considered the cost of living - Vancouver vs. Edmonton?  Even if you don't get a scholarship at UofA, you might still be better off financially in the short term. 

On the other hand, you should also consider the long term financial implications - for example, if you choose UBC, and salaries in Vancouver are significantly higher than in Edmonton for the area of law you want to practice, then you could very well recoup any forgone scholarship dollars soon after graduation. 

Thanks for the info Vegan, and congrats to you too.  Cost of living is a factor for sure.  I will need to sit on this for a while as I have other considerations too, like where my girlfriend wants to live and work.  I don't suppose you know how generous they are with financial aid at either school? You know what, I think I will make another thread for this.  Sorry for deraling, congratulations to everyone who's in so far!  Good luck to you all in making you choices.

• Like 2

Accepted with a 3.6 and a 171 :) I mailed my supplemental on January 23rd and received my offer on February 1st! Still holding out for UBC though. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2