Sign in to follow this  
strangerdanger

Accepted 2013

Does anyone know if U of A emails you with acceptance/waitlist etc.? Or is it simply snail mail, and bear tracks?

Does anyone know if U of A emails you with acceptance/waitlist etc.? Or is it simply snail mail, and bear tracks?

A waitlist won't be made for months. Not till April or May or even later.

In addition to UofA, I've only heard from UVic so far. Still waiting on UofC. Tough to say yes to any one just yet. These schools are all so different! Is UofA on the top of your list, J Chiles?

U of A is definitely toward the top of my list, although the top spot seems to change daily. I read your post on U of C vs U of A, and I couldn't agree with you more (I've been having the same internal debate). It's in U of C's hands though, so we'll have to see what they say before I worry about it too much. Congratulations on UVic! That must complicate things even further. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide!

U of A is definitely toward the top of my list, although the top spot seems to change daily. I read your post on U of C vs U of A, and I couldn't agree with you more (I've been having the same internal debate). It's in U of C's hands though, so we'll have to see what they say before I worry about it too much. Congratulations on UVic! That must complicate things even further. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide!

I'll be watching your decision making process with great interest as well, J. Chiles. Good luck.

And congrats to Throwdini, vegso, and astronautical. Maybe we'll meet at admitted students day. I'll be the one wearing the beer helmet.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Just letting you know, even though I received the acceptance by mail, my application status on bear tracks is still "decision pending" so it's obviously not the best indicator of the admission process

Finally decided to sign up, after browsing this forum for the last 6 months. Got my acceptance package last week, definitely a front runner for me and currently the only news back. GPA of 3.72 and LSAT 162. Congrats to everyone else who got accepted.

• Like 1

Finally decided to sign up, after browsing this forum for the last 6 months. Got my acceptance package last week, definitely a front runner for me and currently the only news back. GPA of 3.72 and LSAT 162. Congrats to everyone else who got accepted.

That seems pretty low for the time of year, was your GPA confirmed with Kim?

Congratulations otherwise.

That seems pretty low for the time of year, was your GPA confirmed with Kim?

Congratulations otherwise.

No that is just from me converting it based on the UofA calendar. I read in an earlier post the law school may have a different conversion scheme so maybe that helped me out, or maybe I managed to botch a simple grade conversion.

Congrats!  You just made my day, as my stats are 3.71/163.  I'm now eagerly awaiting my acceptance package.  :)

Congrats!  You just made my day, as my stats are 3.71/163.  I'm now eagerly awaiting my acceptance package.  :)

I don't want to give you false hope, there is a chance my GPA is higher when calculated by the faculty of law. I got my package right around when everyone else did so I think you would have got it by now, but it sounds like you were right on the bubble with me so you can look forward to a letter soon.

I don't want to give you false hope, there is a chance my GPA is higher when calculated by the faculty of law. I got my package right around when everyone else did so I think you would have got it by now, but it sounds like you were right on the bubble with me so you can look forward to a letter soon.

No worries.   :)  I'm sure I'll get in eventually, although it would be nice to get it for Christmas... 

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I am really unhappy with the way U of A calculates GPAs.  My first term of second year sucked, and because it's considered part of the L2 it's dragged my GPA down to a 3.7 (even though my cGPA is closer to a 3.85).  The way UBC calculates (with drops) it's actually a 3.9.  Figures the one school I need to get into calculates it the worst way possible.

Edit: Worst case scenario, I could always get them to recalculate it in January (which would drop that first term) and bring it back up to a 3.85-3.9.  I was just kind of hoping to get in earlier... :(

Edited by wannabelaw
  • Like 1

Edit: Worst case scenario, I could always get them to recalculate it in January (which would drop that first term) and bring it back up to a 3.85-3.9.  I was just kind of hoping to get in earlier... :(

Are you including the second term of that year? I might be misunderstanding you, but just to be clear, UofA unfortunately does not use semesters independently to calculate your L60. 

What I mean is, if they have to reach into any given year to reach 60 credits, they will include the entire year and not stop at 60. It sounds like you're in school right now, if they were counting your 2nd and 3rd years as your L2, and then you submit your first semester marks for your 4th year, they won't count it like: 1st semester of 4th, 2nd and 1st semester of 3rd year and 2nd semester of 2nd year and then stop. They will include the entire 2nd year so that 1st semester of 2nd year will also be counted. 

You'll still benefit from the first semester of 4th year to pull up the average, but that 1st semester of 2nd is still lumped in the calculation as well. 

Are you including the second term of that year? I might be misunderstanding you, but just to be clear, UofA unfortunately does not use semesters independently to calculate your L60. 

What I mean is, if they have to reach into any given year to reach 60 credits, they will include the entire year and not stop at 60. It sounds like you're in school right now, if they were counting your 2nd and 3rd years as your L2, and then you submit your first semester marks for your 4th year, they won't count it like: 1st semester of 4th, 2nd and 1st semester of 3rd year and 2nd semester of 2nd year and then stop. They will include the entire 2nd year so that 1st semester of 2nd year will also be counted. 

You'll still benefit from the first semester of 4th year to pull up the average, but that 1st semester of 2nd is still lumped in the calculation as well. 

Oh, did not know that!  I thought they separated terms (like by including first semester of 4th year they would drop first semester of 2nd year).  Good to know.  You're right, it would still bring it up regardless, although probably not worth it now (I'm guessing I'll get in anyway even if it is later rather than sooner).  

Congrats!  You just made my day, as my stats are 3.71/163.  I'm now eagerly awaiting my acceptance package.   :)

If you are still in your fourth year, I don't believe they calculate your GPA and make an admission decision until you send them your transcript with completed fall grades.. so that would be the reason you haven't got your acceptance package yet.

"If the applicant is enrolled in post-secondary studies at the time of the application, the transcripts must show any completed fall/first term work"

http://lawschool.ualberta.ca/students/admissions/jdprogram/applicationrequirements/regular.aspx

If you are still in your fourth year, I don't believe they calculate your GPA and make an admission decision until you send them your transcript with completed fall grades.. so that would be the reason you haven't got your acceptance package yet.

"If the applicant is enrolled in post-secondary studies at the time of the application, the transcripts must show any completed fall/first term work"

http://lawschool.ualberta.ca/students/admissions/jdprogram/applicationrequirements/regular.aspx

Hmm that could be too.  I assumed because my application status shows complete that they pulled it already - maybe not.  Interesting.  I'm a U of A student so I don't have to send it to them... they just look at it whenever they want to I guess.  That sucks.  :(