Sign in to follow this  
Whitebeard

Will Calgary look down on a second, lower LSAT score?

Hello,

So here is my problem. I got a 158 on the October LSAT, and I just the december exam, and I do not feel great about it (I tanked the LG, I think I guessed about 12 questions).

sooooo, if it happens that I get a 156 for EX, will this impact my application negatively?

Because I really don't want to cancel, but Calgary is my #1 choice.

My cGPA is 3.4 / 4.33

L2 and best 2: 3.99/4.33

OLSAS L2: 3.86

I dont have a GPA for calgary standards, I apologize.

any ideas? help? what would you do?

I think you're in a pretty good spot as it is with your L2 GPA and 158. Even to the point where it may be to your advantage to possibly cancel, if the chance that you scored less than say, a 155, is realistic. From looking through past threads, Calgary does consider whether you've written more than once and a lower score may be something that will work against you, although Calgary by all measures looks at your highest score. But honestly, I think you're in an okay spot.

Its tough to say, while files are ranked according to highest LSAT, they explicitly state on their website that they look at all scores as well as consider the average. At the very least you know they're not like UofA where the average is strictly considered, but they do subjectively look at all scores so how they weigh multiple scores is really up to them.

Now, all this being said(and this just my opinion), if you did score a 156, that's not statistically different from 158, those two marks are pretty much virtually in the same grading band so I would doubt the ad com would ding you too significantly for it. It definitely looks bad that you didn't improve, but really a 156 is in essence saying you scored the same. However, this is all hypothetical, for all you know you could have done way better, or hopefully not but you could have done significantly worse.

Overall, on the one hand, if you cancel, you'll have a 3.9L2 (OLSAS to Calgary conversion is pretty much the same, its actually better as A is worth 4.0 on Calgary's scale as opposed to 3.9 like OLSAS, everything else is the same) with a 158. That L2 is much higher than the median last year, but your LSAT is slightly below the median. I think depending on your EC's your application is in a decent spot just considering these measures.

On the other hand, if you don't cancel, there is risk either way. Doing bad will obviously not help you but if you do better, it'll move you from a decent spot to really good. If you had a 156 for sure, then I don't think it matters, but since you don't know how you did it you're risking a potential disaster mark.

Its a tough call, how are your ECs? If you have solid ECs it may be a good idea to cancel as you shouldn't risk lowering a decent application. If you have weak ECs then its probably worth rolling the dice and seeing if you did better in order to give your application that one last positive push.

Thanks for the feedback...exact thoughts going through my head.

My ECs are decent. I have great work experience, but I do not have volunteer experience. I finished with an honours degree, which required me to write a thesis (graded, which counts for my last 60, woohoo).

Tough call...maybe I'll call the admissions office for some advice.

Edited by Whitebeard

the other thing is...i can't see myself actually scoring less than 156...all my other sections were pretty decent (hopefully). I figure I might as well hope for maybe a 160 to happen (it could be possible depending if its a -13 or a -10 curve, and how I did on the RC and LR sections...)

If you're positive you scored higher than 156, then I don't see why you wouldn't risk rolling the dice on getting a higher mark. Like I said, 156 is essentially statistically the same as a 158 so the damage to your application subjectively is minimal.

Don't cancel unless you're pretty sure you scored lower than 155. Having a score under 155 on a rewrite could be to your discredit and might suggest that the 158 before was a bit of a fluke (I'm not saying that either of these would be true). Did you find out which section was experimental?

Thanks...yea the experimental was the section that I destroyed...lol of course. For the real LG I...I just don't even know what happened, I choked. I was in like for a 162+ until the game...bah

I would advise not cancelling.

I think the upside potential if you score a 160+ is greater than the downside if you score <158.

If you manage a 160+ you would be in a significantly better position for admission to U of C than with a 158. It sounds silly, but it's the reality. A 158 is a pretty substantial factor in the column against you. If you can hit 160 the LSAT all of a sudden isn't much of an issue, and your GPA should carry the day.

If you did bomb and end up with <158, it's a very minor soft factor against your application. Multiple LSAT scores has potentially swung admissions decisions in a small number of cases in the past, but is typically not a relevant factor. However, the difference in a couple LSAT points has swung admissions decisions in hundreds of files.

• Like 1

Yea after some thought I'm going with not cancelling. Thanks for the opinions, makes me feel a little bit better that it is the right decision. Ugh stupid LG I was really looking forward to a good score this time around...

I'd just like to add that the only time it would matter is if you were right on the border for acceptance - it's the kind of thing that can break an application but all other things considered it's detail minor if you were a shoe in previously (that and there's the whole improving your score thing, with a 158 you would definitely want to try for) good luck!

yea thanks for the comment. I definitely tried to increase my score and I was PTing in the mid 160s, but I fell apart on test day on the LG section...we'll see, hopefully I can squeeze out a 160 with a great RC and LR sections.