Sign in to follow this  
duncan33

Accepted 2013

If  you don't mind me asking, when exactly is the welcome day? 

I would be careful about posting this kind of information on the forums - even if you elect to answer the question privately. Keep in mind a lot of lurkers do read posts, and, you cannot edit your posts.

Welcome Day events are closed events only for newly admitted students and current students (part of it, anyway).

• Like 1

I would be careful about posting this kind of information on the forums - even if you elect to answer the question privately. Keep in mind a lot of lurkers do read posts, and, you cannot edit your posts.

Welcome Day events are closed events only for newly admitted students and current students (part of it, anyway).

My apologies, I wasn't trying to breach confidentiality. I know other people had posted the welcome day's for their schools, so I was curious as to if U of T's was around a similar time. 

My apologies, I wasn't trying to breach confidentiality. I know other people had posted the welcome day's for their schools, so I was curious as to if U of T's was around a similar time. 

I'm more advising the people who might respond, than suggesting you were. 

People often display a lack of caution or prudence on such things.

been a long gap since the last acceptance posting! wonder when the next round will be.

been a long gap since the last acceptance posting! wonder when the next round will be.

Same here, though there is always the possibility that they have been accepting people  that have not posted on the forums.

Does anybody have an idea of how far along the acceptance process at U of T is? I imagine if you get stuck on a waitlist or something you could be waiting till August to find out, but I wonder at what point the majority of acceptances are done by.

Does anybody have an idea of how far along the acceptance process at U of T is? I imagine if you get stuck on a waitlist or something you could be waiting till August to find out, but I wonder at what point the majority of acceptances are done by.

From the website:

The admissions cycle runs from November to late June. Offers of admission are made beginning in December. When all places in the class have been filled (usually by the end of June), a waiting list is established to fill vacancies as they occur. Based on past experience, the Committee is able to set standards early in the year.

I did take a look at that, I should have been clear. I find it strange that they would have a welcome day in February if there were still a lot of acceptances to go after that. Or are 90% (let's say) of the acceptances finished by February?

I don't think the Welcome day is correlated with offers. US law schools often have fly outs for the admitted applicants even while they have a bunch of offers left to give out. 

And I got the impression from UofT that the February LSAT is accepted and does not place an applicant at a disadvantage in the application cycle. The only reason they suggest writing the LSAT before February is so that you can potentially improve on a score in the new year. So since they accept the Feb sitting, they will be waiting on many scores coming in some time mid-end of March. So I think the actual offers go on until at least May. 

Very interesting. Still very strange, in my opinion. Why not have a welcome day when the class is (at least 90% or so) finalized?

Very interesting. Still very strange, in my opinion. Why not have a welcome day when the class is (at least 90% or so) finalized?

I agree it could be a little bit later, but there are a lot of students who have received all of their offers by that time and are making up their mind between several schools. I made up mine immediately after going to the Welcome Day, which means I opened up spots in other schools as well as fully filling a spot at U of T -- it moves things along.

I agree it could be a little bit later, but there are a lot of students who have received all of their offers by that time and are making up their mind between several schools. I made up mine immediately after going to the Welcome Day, which means I opened up spots in other schools as well as fully filling a spot at U of T -- it moves things along.

I agree with Jaycee's assessment. Last year, Welcome Day seemed to be more about trying to convince successful applicants to accept than anything else. There was still a significant number of people who attended, but it's less of an orientation and more of a sales pitch. Orientation is in September for all incoming students who accepted their offers, and Welcome Day seems to focus more on earlier offers. 

I agree with Jaycee's assessment. Last year, Welcome Day seemed to be more about trying to convince successful applicants to accept than anything else. There was still a significant number of people who attended, but it's less of an orientation and more of a sales pitch. Orientation is in September for all incoming students who accepted their offers, and Welcome Day seems to focus more on earlier offers. 

lol, I would've thought that a school like UofT wouldn't need to do much convincing :P

lol, I would've thought that a school like UofT wouldn't need to do much convincing :P

I'm also confused as to why U of T needs to convince students to attend. But maybe they have students also considering T14 schools in the states as well, and those are the students they're trying to convince to attend U of T.

I'm also confused as to why U of T needs to convince students to attend. But maybe they have students also considering T14 schools in the states as well, and those are the students they're trying to convince to attend U of T.

I feel so inferior now haha :P

I just got my call. Honestly I thought they were calling telling me I screwed something up in my application, because my GPA is... well... bad.

But I'm happy it turned out! .

• Like 2

I just got my call. Honestly I thought they were calling telling me I screwed something up in my application, because my GPA is... well... bad.

But I'm happy it turned out! .

Congrats! What are your softs like?