Sign in to follow this  
bradford

2013 IN THREAD

I provisionally accepted my offer to Ottawa the other day. It's definitely a top choice for me, but I'm just curious to see if I'll get any other responses. Does anyone know when we have to give them a firm acceptance by?

I read on this forum in past year that provisional acceptances turn into firm acceptances on August 15th. Hopefully someone can confirm whether or not this is true? 

• Like 1

That's how it is for Windsor atleast, so I assume you're right rmrda.

• Like 2

I read on this forum in past year that provisional acceptances turn into firm acceptances on August 15th. Hopefully someone can confirm whether or not this is true? 

I read that somewhere too, I believe in OLSAS. 

• Like 2

Just checked my info web this morning, and I'm IN!!!!! What a great way to start off a 4 day work week! 

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats/if you wrote the February LSAT?

Does anyone know if final transcripts have to be sent in to Ottawa?  Their website says "Students are strongly encouraged to complete their undergraduate program of studies in full prior to beginning law school."

It sure doesn't sound like it must be so but i'm curious.........

I was wondering the same thing 

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats/if you wrote the February LSAT?

I previously posted my stats by year, so I'll do that again as my transcript is a GONG SHOW. All OLSAS:

1st year undergrad (10 courses): 2.7 (may be higher, but I can't access my transcript online and I ain't shelling out $10 for it)

2nd year undergrad (10 courses): 2.26 

3rd year undergrad (12 courses): 3.53

4th year undergrad (11 courses): 3.55

Grad school (9 graded courses): 3.85

overall undergrand cGPA according to OLSAS: 3.05 (YIKES)

LSAT: 159 (Oct 2012)

I applied special circumstances as I had an ongoing illness that resulted in surgery/3 hospitalizations over my second year, accompanied with a detailed dr.'s note.

I know that I had three really outstanding LoR's, as I have worked closely with all three prof's over my undergrad and grad degrees. At least one of them talked about my progress over the 5 years that he had taught me (I got a B- for his class in third year, and got an A+ in his grad seminar) so I'm sure that helped me out a lot. In my opinion I have a lot of strong EC's including community involvement and work experience.

If this was overkill on info, sorry. If you want to know anything more specific, let me know!

• Like 1

I previously posted my stats by year, so I'll do that again as my transcript is a GONG SHOW. All OLSAS:

1st year undergrad (10 courses): 2.7 (may be higher, but I can't access my transcript online and I ain't shelling out $10 for it)

I applied special circumstances as I had an ongoing illness that resulted in surgery/3 hospitalizations over my second year, accompanied with a detailed dr.'s note.

I know that I had three really outstanding LoR's, as I have worked closely with all three prof's over my undergrad and grad degrees. At least one of them talked about my progress over the 5 years that he had taught me (I got a B- for his class in third year, and got an A+ in his grad seminar) so I'm sure that helped me out a lot. In my opinion I have a lot of strong EC's including community involvement and work experience.

If this was overkill on info, sorry. If you want to know anything more specific, let me know!

congrats on all of your accomplishments! i think it is truly impressive that you have managed to overcome so much. i am glad to see that schools are forgiving and understanding of your circumstances. you should be VERY proud! congrats again and GOODLUCK!

How long did it take everyone to receive their acceptance packages in the mail, my infoweb changed about a week ago and i've received nothing yet.

Congratulations! I think you proved a great point on this forum about Ottawa and its supposed obsession with cGPA, You do not necessarily have a well above average LSAT, and your GPA is lower than average, however there are parts of your application (although some unique to your specific situation) are fairly important such as LORs, ECs and development as an individual. Applicants with low GPA and want to attend Ottawa should worry if they have done little to nothing for ECs and have the less than favourable generic LOR with a high LSAT may not cut it at Ottawa as they seem to be looking for individuals beyond their numbers. 

Food for thought.

Anyway congratulations!

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing 

Does anyone know if final transcripts have to be sent in to Ottawa?  Their website says "Students are strongly encouraged to complete their undergraduate program of studies in full prior to beginning law school."

It sure doesn't sound like it must be so but i'm curious.........

As per the OLSAS PDF Guide for 2013 their statement on final transcripts is as follows:

Final Transcripts

Final, official transcripts (which should include all current‑year course work and degree conferral details) must be submitted by those who have received an offer of admission or who have a decision pending, by June 30, 2013.

I guess you can risk it, but at this point what is another $10-$12 to get all your final academic paperwork in check. 
  • Like 1

Congratulations! I think you proved a great point on this forum about Ottawa and its supposed obsession with cGPA, You do not necessarily have a well above average LSAT, and your GPA is lower than average, however there are parts of your application (although some unique to your specific situation) are fairly important such as LORs, ECs and development as an individual. Applicants with low GPA and want to attend Ottawa should worry if they have done little to nothing for ECs and have the less than favourable generic LOR with a high LSAT may not cut it at Ottawa as they seem to be looking for individuals beyond their numbers. 

Food for thought.

Anyway congratulations!

Thanks for your reply! I think that there is defiantly an over obsession with undergrad cGPA in law schools, which I am thankful that schools like uOttawa are willing to look past (U of A and Calgary also spring to mind here!). I think that there is a lot of consideration of the "hard stats" that law schools, and internet forums for that matter, are able to easily compare, but this really only gives part of the picture. I have completed six years of progressively more difficult University education, and have steadily improved to a point where my last year of grad school I had a 4.0 GPA (3.9 OLSAS....because I guess they get the last word!). It was hard for me to swallow the fact that undergrad students whose papers I was grading as a TA were more likely to get into lawschool because they had a better cumulative undergrad GPA than mine. I've seen people who have PhD's who have posted their undergrad stats and people seemed to be surprised that they got in.....that person probably taught someone who was also applying for law school! So yes, I had a rough start, but I think that a steady upward progression and proven success in academia, and "in real life" would make me a better candidate for lawschool! But that's just me, and maybe I'm just being biased ;)

• Like 1

You still have an excellent shot at getting in.

I was accepted in mid-Feb. with a 3.62 cgpa, 3.85 b2/l2 and a 153 LSAT. I had a lot of softs, great references and wrote a tailored PS.

I'm sure you'll hear soon :)

Thank you DPort for your encouragement!  Hope to see you in Ottawa next fall!

• Like 1

i just got my package in the mail on tuesday, can't find any requirements that i have to meet (like maintaining an average etc) does that mean i am good to just stop trying? i'm probably not going to lol, but it's a nice idea.

• Like 1

In last week. Super stoked. Totally ready. Almost wanted to blow off exams for the current MA, but sticking it out until the summer. Then good bye Carleton Public Policy, hello legal career;) 3.54, 157, 3 outstanding LOR, one from an L.L.B and Executive director of National NGO. Good Exc, lots of leadership. And I suppose a persuasive and philosophical PS. Best of luck to those still waiting. I Know it's tough(I'm second cycle). It's going to be an awesome and challenging first year. Looking forward to working with all of you.

• Like 1

Just a quick question...I want to provisionally accept my offer to Ottawa. In the drop down menu, I assume I choose "University of Ottawa" and not simply something like "JD (English)"?

Ugh, OLSAS is like the worst application service...can't believe we pay so much to use it.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Just a quick question...I want to provisionally accept my offer to Ottawa. In the drop down menu, I assume I choose "University of Ottawa" and not simply something like "JD (English)"?

Ugh, OLSAS is like the worst application service...can't believe we pay so much to use it.

Thanks in advance!

You would click on the program UNDER Ottawa that you were admitted too. Unless you were admitted to the National Programme or French Program, you are selecting JD English. Just make sure to properly select provisionally accept. 

Your next step is to look at the remaining schools you have such as Western for Example and again select their program (that you applied to) that you wish to still be considered for. Repeat this program but holding control and selecting the remaining programs under the schools you applied to. Once finished, you will be given the option to view what you have done before you submit. Once you submit you will be given a request number that SAM will evaluate and until they approve it, you can cancel that request at any time in between. Once its approved you are solid however you are not done. You need to make sure that your payment is sent to Ottawa and it should appear on your InfoWeb (within a few days of payment) and a few days later you will get an email describing that they received your payment. 

Hope this helps :)

Thanks in advance!

Haha I totally understand, this was my exact question before I did a provisonal acceptance myself!

In at Ottawa, accepted to the Combined JD program with American University. Withdrawn from all other Canadian law schools.

3.3ish CGPA

168 LSAT.

Now I need to figure out if I'm going to Ottawa or to a T14. Still waiting on scholarship details. This whole process just seems to go on...and on...and on. Congrats to everyone else accepted this year!

• Like 1