Sign in to follow this  
Edmonton141

UofS Chances Thread

Any Idea when Sask starts sending out the acceptance notices?

I'm liking your post because you have an awesome avatar.

• Like 2

I think some of the fear is precipitated by how some competitive applicants were rejected last year (Ptolemy). Given the rising trend of stats, year over year, its getting tougher to make predictions.

Sask's rolling admissions throws another wrench in the process, perhaps if you apply earlier, there are more spots open so you may get in "more easily"? Just a total guess on my part though. Likewise, if you apply later, more spots are filled so it becomes more competitive for the few remaining openings.

He wasn't that competitive, and not everyone with just the numbers is guaranteed anywhere anyways. The cutoffs for admission arent going up that much, and there's no real reason to think they'll continue going up much - there really is a ceiling effect for this sort of thing and depends entirely on the pool of applicants and not on the fact that numbers will just keep going up mysteriously

• Like 1

He wasn't that competitive, and not everyone with just the numbers is guaranteed anywhere anyways. The cutoffs for admission arent going up that much, and there's no real reason to think they'll continue going up much - there really is a ceiling effect for this sort of thing and depends entirely on the pool of applicants and not on the fact that numbers will just keep going up mysteriously

Well people's predictions on chances threads are based off of the median's or averages released by the schools as well as what's been seen in previous accepted threads. If Ptolemy is being honest in his self-reported stats (and there's no reason to believe otherwise given he got into Dal) he was WELL above the average GPA of the September 2012 Sask Class which was reported to be 3.41 on Sask's website with a 3.8. His LSAT was equal to the average at 160. Was he an auto admit, first round December/January offer? Maybe not, but I think he was definitely very competitive compared to a lot of other applicants so it is definitely startling that he was not accepted. Don't forget, these are averages, so there are going to be a number of applicants who have stats below this as well. Of course these numbers will be skewed by the Saskatchewan factor but I still think Sask isn't as "easy" to get into as a lot of people believe.

Unfortunately its a documented trend that numbers/cutoffs are going up across the board in Canada. The total number of applications are up, and the averages/medians of the admitted classes are also up.

None of this really matters now, the best any of us can do is worry about ourselves, do the best you can and then leave it in the hands of the ad com. Only the ad com has the final say and no predictions will change that.

• Like 2

It could be that he applied later in the cycle and at that point they were looking for candidates who specifically matched those candidates already accepted but were declining.

Thank you both for your input, it is much appreciated.

Hopefully you're correct in your predictions.

Thanks, Shabam! You were right, I just got my acceptance this afternoon :)

Congratulations!!!

Curious....was 84% your best two years? Or CGPA?

Congratulations!!!

Curious....was 84% your best two years? Or CGPA?

Thanks! My CGPA and best two years are both the same number, because I'm applying in the middle of my third year.

Thanks! My CGPA and best two years are both the same number, because I'm applying in the middle of my third year.

Oh I see....very interesting.

Out of curiosity (again) is U of S requesting any 4th year transcripts or requiring you to finish? In other words, could you not go to school this upcoming semester?

Oh I see....very interesting.

Out of curiosity (again) is U of S requesting any 4th year transcripts or requiring you to finish? In other words, could you not go to school this upcoming semester?

U of S requires the final transcripts from this year (ie my third year) but I will be allowed to skip over my fourth year straight into law.

U of S requires the final transcripts from this year (ie my third year) but I will be allowed to skip over my fourth year straight into law.

Good to know....I am assuming they give all applicants this option?

Yes, this option is open to all candidates.

Thanks for the information! Will you be accepting your offer?

Thanks for the information! Will you be accepting your offer?

I've already paid my deposit to hold a place, but UBC and U of A are my first choices. If all goes well, I'm hoping to give my spot to another deserving applicant like you :)

• Like 1

Just got the Dec LSAT score. Not what I was expecting but that's how she goes.

3.46 / 164

Any chance at Sask? 

What are my chances,

156 last

3.7 gpa over 2 years (81.3%)

Strongest Sask connection possible. U of S alumni. Parent is U of S Law alumni.

Good law related work and volunteer experience with troubled youth.

So mine is:

cGPA  3.0 (~3.3 after dropping 30 credits)

LSAT 165

No connections to the province.

Will be applying to special category (ESL) since I didn't go to English-speaking high schools.

Any ideas on chances? Thanks in advance.

Edited by deepfriedgarlic