Sign in to follow this  
Whitebeard

"what other law schools you applying to"

So I was filling out the application, and I came across this gem of a question:

What other law schools are you currently applying to?

Is anyone else a little hesitant answering this question? I mean, I am applying to every school I think I have a shot in, but I do have preferences. How can I list 11 other schools without making it look like sask is just another option/safety? (it actually isn't for me, but how are they to know that).

any thoughts on this?

I don't have any advice for you, but I tend to agree that this isn't an appropriate question.

FWIW, in Ontario, each law school knows which other law schools in the province you have applied to.

I felt the same way when I filled out my application. I thought it was inappropriate to ask but wanted to be honest in my responses, so I made the choice to put down the other schools I was applying to. While it might suggest that U of S is a "safety" school for me (which is not true, I was born and raised there with my entire family living in SK still... miss it!), it also could act as a means of demonstrating that you are a competitive applicant interested in what various schools have to offer. If anything, I hope it shows them what kind of environments and communities I'm interested in working/learning in.

I know this was rambling, but I hope it helps a bit!

bah! Thanks for the responses, but I'm still a little torn. It probably isn't that important anyways, maybe I'll send an email to update them. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this was a weird question to ask...

It's like going to a restaurant and the serving asking you "so where else did you plan on dining before deciding to come here" "uh, just here (please don't spit in my food)".

ok that analogy sucked so much it could qualify as a flaw in the reasoning answer for LR.

It's like going to a restaurant and the serving asking you "so where else did you plan on dining before deciding to come here" "uh, just here (please don't spit in my food)".

More like asking a girl out and her asking you if you've asked any other girls out today....

I'm filling out my app soon and am disappointed that this is asked. For me, Sask is a safety school. It is probably one of my last choices, just in front of TRU and UNB. On the flipside, I would genuinely be happy just to get into a law school, including Sask. It's just I would be even more happy getting into Queens or Alberta.

I also wonder: if you are an above average candidate who they think would likely get into some of other schools you stated you also applied based on the stats you have, would they bypass giving you admit because they figure you won't select them anyways?

I also wonder, do they have any way of verifying what other schools you've applied to?

Edited by brokebloke

They absolutely wont bypass you over, that's the entire point of rolling admissions. Offer to the best candidates then after they decline/accept/or a certain date hits roll on the next best applications, repeat until slots are filled

yea I doubt they'll pass over you (if you are a great candidate), they want the best students. BUT (all my assumptions following): they are people, not robots, looking at the applications...and they care about your sask connection and desire to attend this specific school. So if I am a border-line candidate, maybe they'll think to pass me over and go with someone who clearly is committed to Sask.

In all likelihood, they are just curious, or hell, maybe they use this information much like Dalhousie does (they share wait-list information, so if someone accepts or rejects an offer, other schools can act accordingly).

Now that I think of it...probably for wait-list, who knows.

More like asking a girl out and her asking you if you've asked any other girls out today....

I'm filling out my app soon and am disappointed that this is asked. For me, Sask is a safety school. It is probably one of my last choices, just in front of TRU and UNB. On the flipside, I would genuinely be happy just to get into a law school, including Sask. It's just I would be even more happy getting into Queens or Alberta.

I also wonder: if you are an above average candidate who they think would likely get into some of other schools you stated you also applied based on the stats you have, would they bypass giving you admit because they figure you won't select them anyways?

I also wonder, do they have any way of verifying what other schools you've applied to?

Law schools tend to throw scholarship money at students they think will accept at a more prestigious school.