Sign in to follow this  
Sambista

Accepted 2013

Cette semaine j'ai reçu une offre d'admission pour l'année prochaine! Quelle bonheur! ... I thought I would start a thread for those of us starting in September 2013. Talk soon!

• Like 2

Cette semaine j'ai reçu une offre d'admission pour l'année prochaine! Quelle bonheur! ... I thought I would start a thread for those of us starting in September 2013. Talk soon!

why so early? when did you apply?  I am shocked that they would have processed your applicaiton so early.

congrats,  what are your marks like?

did you fill out the formulaire online?

I cannot find anywhere that would mandate the submittion of a personal statement,  am I correct or does one really have to send one in?

Edited by HopingHopper

why so early? when did you apply?  I am shocked that they would have processed your applicaiton so early.

congrats,  what are your marks like?

did you fill out the formulaire online?

I cannot find anywhere that would mandate the submittion of a personal statement,  am I correct or does one really have to send one in?

I applied early because I had already made up my mind that there was no better school in Canada that offered what l'Universite de Moncton has to offer in terms of the bilingual program (there are only two bilingual programs of its kind in Canada, the other one being at U of Ottawa), competitive tuition (tuitions fees at other law schools are a complete joke), and the awesome location. If I recall correctly, I sent in my completed application sometime late September, early October. To be honest, I wasn't too shocked by how quickly they processed things since I had read in previous postings that it takes about 1 month max. to process everything.

In terms of marks, I'm currently finishing undergrad...but my CGPA I believe was at 3.30/4.0 at the time I applied. Highest marks we're from my 3rd year GPA at 4.0/4.0 (5 courses). (Note: I read somewhere that as long as you have a 3.30/4.0 you're pretty much accepted in terms of where marks count, mind you their min. required gpa is a 2.80 I think).

I did fill out an online application and paid online, but just to make sure they got everything I also did fill out a paper application form and mailed that to them, in addition to their required questionnaire.

In terms of your personal statement, you are required to provide one under heading 5 (MOTIVATION) of their required questionnaire which you must mail them (aka: Information Supplementaires)...check out the link: http://www.umoncton.ca/umcm-droit/files/umcm-droit/wf/Questionnaire-J.D_0.pdf. But in terms of submitting a separate personal statement like OLSAS does and other English language schools, no.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask, I'd love to help out. Take care.

I applied early because I had already made up my mind that there was no better school in Canada that offered what l'Universite de Moncton has to offer in terms of the bilingual program (there are only two bilingual programs of its kind in Canada, the other one being at U of Ottawa), competitive tuition (tuitions fees at other law schools are a complete joke), and the awesome location. If I recall correctly, I sent in my completed application sometime late September, early October. To be honest, I wasn't too shocked by how quickly they processed things since I had read in previous postings that it takes about 1 month max. to process everything.

In terms of marks, I'm currently finishing undergrad...but my CGPA I believe was at 3.30/4.0 at the time I applied. Highest marks we're from my 3rd year GPA at 4.0/4.0 (5 courses). (Note: I read somewhere that as long as you have a 3.30/4.0 you're pretty much accepted in terms of where marks count, mind you their min. required gpa is a 2.80 I think).

I did fill out an online application and paid online, but just to make sure they got everything I also did fill out a paper application form and mailed that to them, in addition to their required questionnaire.

In terms of your personal statement, you are required to provide one under heading 5 (MOTIVATION) of their required questionnaire which you must mail them (aka: Information Supplementaires)...check out the link: http://www.umoncton.ca/umcm-droit/files/umcm-droit/wf/Questionnaire-J.D_0.pdf. But in terms of submitting a separate personal statement like OLSAS does and other English language schools, no.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask, I'd love to help out. Take care.

That is pretty good to hear.  In fact that gives me a lot of hopes as that is pretty much the same GPA I have, that is, 7.28 in a scale of 9 which would work out to be according to equivalencies to a 3.3 in a scale of 4.3. I am also finishing up my last year at university and I  have sent out my application and transcripts but I am still waiting for one of my profs to send that reference letter which hopefully will get there by next week.  Can I ask you if you got an unconditional acceptance or was it conditional on anything at all, being to actually graduate or maintaining your GPA e.t.c?

That is pretty good to hear.  In fact that gives me a lot of hopes as that is pretty much the same GPA I have, that is, 7.28 in a scale of 9 which would work out to be according to equivalencies to a 3.3 in a scale of 4.3. I am also finishing up my last year at university and I  have sent out my application and transcripts but I am still waiting for one of my profs to send that reference letter which hopefully will get there by next week.  Can I ask you if you got an unconditional acceptance or was it conditional on anything at all, being to actually graduate or maintaining your GPA e.t.c?

With those marks you're definitely in! I wouldn't worry too much. Waiting for their reply is a real killer though (just as a heads up). Yes I did get a conditional offer, in fact everyone should be given a conditional offer at this point in the year simply because we still have to write that French literacy test in May. The conditions which apply in order to be "officially accepted" include graduating, maintaining a GPA above 2.88/4.0, and of course passing the French literacy test in May.

Have you applied elsewhere?

I noticed that your location states that you're from Toronto, is this true? If yes, (i'm simply very curious) what university are you studying at and what is your program? Have you had the chance to study French at a university-level or did you take French Immersion back in high school?

Talk soon!

Have you applied elsewhere?

I noticed that your location states that you're from Toronto, is this true? If yes, (i'm simply very curious) what university are you studying at and what is your program? Have you had the chance to study French at a university-level or did you take French Immersion back in high school?

Talk soon!

Yes I am in Toronto. I attend York University for a general liberal arts bac.  I have previously completed the Law Clerk and Paralegal programs at Seneca College which led to my paralegal licensing with the Law Society of Upper Canada.  In short, you can really tell I am all for studying law. However I have been told by the faculty that even though any decisions would be based on the file as a whole, they will only focus on my university marks to determine my average.  I attended the university of Moncton for two french courses this past summer and I absolutely loved it there so Moncton would be my first choice in a heart beat.  I am however also applying to Ottawa (and debating as to whether I should apply to UQAM and U de Montréal since theoretically one couldddd get in).    I have been tracking all of my documents being sent to complete my file and my last reference letter is getting there today, so the next few days will be intriguing!.

What school did you go to?  Did you do French Immersion?

Edited by HopingHopper

Yes I am in Toronto. I attend York University for a general liberal arts bac.  I have previously completed the Law Clerk and Paralegal programs at Seneca College which led to my paralegal licensing with the Law Society of Upper Canada.  In short, you can really tell I am all for studying law. However I have been told by the faculty that even though any decisions would be based on the file as a whole, they will only focus on my university marks to determine my average.  I attended the university of Moncton for two french courses this past summer and I absolutely loved it there so Moncton would be my first choice in a heart beat.  I am however also applying to Ottawa (and debating as to whether I should apply to UQAM and U de Montréal since theoretically one couldddd get in).    I have been tracking all of my documents being sent to complete my file and my last reference letter is getting there today, so the next few days will be intriguing!.

What school did you go to?  Did you do French Immersion?

Sounds like you really are all for studying law!

I am currently finishing up things at U of T for a general BA as well. I majored in African Studies, minored in Aboriginal Studies and Anthropology. Back in high school I was in French Immersion and prior to that I was in the French school system. You know, I'm starting to feel a bit anxious with the fact that I might be one of the youngest starting next year lol (I'll only be 21!!!)...not that it's a bad thing though...

You know, in case it might interest you...I recently found out that U de Moncton will be offering for the first time in its history a relocation grant/bursary of $500 to the first couple students coming from outside New-Brunswick...once you get in, makes sure to ask them about it. They told me I'd get a letter from them about this soon, but I'm still waiting...

Let us know when you get in!

Sounds like you really are all for studying law!

I am currently finishing up things at U of T for a general BA as well. I majored in African Studies, minored in Aboriginal Studies and Anthropology. Back in high school I was in French Immersion and prior to that I was in the French school system. You know, I'm starting to feel a bit anxious with the fact that I might be one of the youngest starting next year lol (I'll only be 21!!!)...not that it's a bad thing though...

You know, in case it might interest you...I recently found out that U de Moncton will be offering for the first time in its history a relocation grant/bursary of $500 to the first couple students coming from outside New-Brunswick...once you get in, makes sure to ask them about it. They told me I'd get a letter from them about this soon, but I'm still waiting...

Let us know when you get in!

Well I haven't gotten in yet, I don't want to get too confident about it because you never really know.   With respect to the bursary, yes saw it posted on the faculty's home page for the first 20 non-newbrunswickians. I think it is an interesting incentive.   On the otherhand I do wonder how many people would have gotten accepted so far.

Back in high school I was in French Immersion and prior to that I was in the French school system.

Yes I did get a conditional offer, in fact everyone should be given a conditional offer at this point in the year simply because we still have to write that French literacy test in May.

You should be able to get that defered since you did high school French.   I remember their site indicating it somewhere.

Well I haven't gotten in yet, I don't want to get too confident about it because you never really know.   With respect to the bursary, yes saw it posted on the faculty's home page for the first 20 non-newbrunswickians. I think it is an interesting incentive.   On the otherhand I do wonder how many people would have gotten accepted so far.

It's true, you never want to get too confident, but I'd be really really surprised if you didn't get in. That bursary is definately a great incentive, I think they're basically trying to get more bilingual people interested in studying common law (I know there is a definitely huge need in Canada)...

Btw, what's your opinion on the reason for which the tuition fee is so low compared to other universities? Do you think there is some form of government subsidy?, is it really the location that dictates the low tuition?, or simply because they want to make the program attractive and produce as many bilingual lawyers as they can (as per their mandate)?

As for how many people have been accepted so far, it really hard to say...but I guess maybe 60 max. (very very rough estimate) A lot of people apply around March towards the end of school.

Do you have any idea of the class size? (I think I read somewhere about 100 something people are accepted each year)

You should be able to get that defered since you did high school French.   I remember their site indicating it somewhere.

I'm going to have to find out more about this, I checked the site and they did mention something about finishing CEGEP or a Bac Intl. I'll let you know asap.

I'm going to have to find out more about this, I checked the site and they did mention something about finishing CEGEP or a Bac Intl. I'll let you know asap.

Doing CEGEP and doing high school in French are two very, very different things.

Doing CEGEP and doing high school in French are two very, very different things.

They certainly are two different things, however there seems to be some sort of equivalency.  Let me explain.  If one wanted to apply to law in Québec, and one happens to be a non-quebecker, there are various categories which would allow you to apply in the regular category; that is, for Ontarians for example, having finished highschool, a year of university or having completed a university degree.  Little matters whether you did it in french or not, as the language requirement varies from school to school.  For example, at U de Montrèal a test approved by le ministère de l'Éducation du Québec or the TFI with a minimum of 605 out of 990, UQAM on the otherhand has its own test as Moncton does, and so on and so forth.  But going back to the high school having been in french,  my comment dealt specifically with their website (I believe), at U de Moncton indicating somewhere that having completed high school would except you from the test in which a minimum of C+ would have to be atteined.

Btw, what's your opinion on the reason for which the tuition fee is so low compared to other universities? Do you think there is some form of government subsidy?, is it really the location that dictates the low tuition?, or simply because they want to make the program attractive and produce as many bilingual lawyers as they can (as per their mandate)?

Well, I am not too sure but I think that it would be important to consider that education, being under exclusive provincial jurisdiction, really varies from province to province. That said, each province funds education at a different percentage and has the student pay the balance.  I think in Ontario is like 60 something that the government supposedly pays.  Also, each university internally budgets itself, I think, designating more funding towards graduate programs than undergrads,  so I assume that may influence law school tuition fees this way.   With respect to the program being in french as a factor, I know that Moncton was Canada's newest university ( which received consent to do so due to the province's official bilingualism and lack of legal training in french)prior to the creation of Thompson Rivers Law in BC two years ago and Lakehead Law in Ontario commencing sep 2013.  It is my impression though that when a university first starts out, judging by what has happened with Thompson Rivers Law, the university does make an effort to be competively affordable. So I think that, being a relatively new university does influence tuition fees in the sense that it is viable to conclude that it wants, as a faculty, to attract quality students by offering really affordable tuition. 

Edited by HopingHopper

You should be able to get that deferred since you did high school French.   I remember their site indicating it somewhere.

So I emailed them and this was their reply: "Quant au test de français, votre admission est conditionnelle à réussir le test de français avec un C+.  Tous les étudiants et les étudiantes qui n’ont pas suivi le cours FRAN-1600 (Rédaction universitaire – dernier cours offert au niveau des études de premier cycle à l’Université de Moncton) et qui ne l’ont pas réussir avec un C+ doivent faire le test de français.   La réussite de ce test sert d'équivalence afin satisfaire à l’exigence linguistique de la Faculté de droit (voir règlement 3.2.1 Règlements particuliers de la Faculté de droit).

FYI Règlement 3.2.1: 

3.2   Personnes ne satisfaisant pas aux exigences linguistiques

3.2.1    Les personnes qui n'ont pas suivi le cours FRAN1600 offert par l'Université de Moncton :

• - doivent subir, à la demande de la Faculté de droit, un examen de français (FRAN1600) et obtenir une note minimale de C+;
  • - peuvent exceptionnellement, du fait des circonstances, être dispensées par la Faculté de droit de cette exigence.

So I take it anyone who has never studied at the university and taken FRAN1600 will have to take their test regardless of past schooling in French.

FYI Règlement 3.2.1: 

3.2   Personnes ne satisfaisant pas aux exigences linguistiques

3.2.1    Les personnes qui n'ont pas suivi le cours FRAN1600 offert par l'Université de Moncton :

• - doivent subir, à la demande de la Faculté de droit, un examen de français (FRAN1600) et obtenir une note minimale de C+;
  • - peuvent exceptionnellement, du fait des circonstances, être dispensées par la Faculté de droit de cette exigence.

So I take it anyone who has never studied at the university and taken FRAN1600 will have to take their test regardless of past schooling in French.

I had also called them before and asked them if a high score onthe TFI would and could satisfy the requirement, as it does for l'Université de Montréal for the combined j.d LL L, but they said that they would have to assess the circomstances but that can obviously only happen after acceptance, if it happens at all.   On those basis, I am inclined to invoke article 3.2.1 bullet two, as you have pasted above, that is, Les personnes qui n'ont pas suivi le cours FRAN1600 offert par l'Université de Moncton; peuvent exceptionnellement, du fait des circonstances, être dispensées par la Faculté de droit de cette exigence.  In other words, I would be inclined to request être dispensé d'après tes circonstances, c'est à dire, le fait que tu as clairement montré la capacité de reausir académiquement en français. Mais ça, c'est à toi de le faire là.

I had also called them before and asked them if a high score onthe TFI would and could satisfy the requirement, as it does for l'Université de Montréal for the combined j.d LL L, but they said that they would have to assess the circomstances but that can obviously only happen after acceptance, if it happens at all.   On those basis, I am inclined to invoke article 3.2.1 bullet two, as you have pasted above, that is, Les personnes qui n'ont pas suivi le cours FRAN1600 offert par l'Université de Moncton; peuvent exceptionnellement, du fait des circonstances, être dispensées par la Faculté de droit de cette exigence.  In other words, I would be inclined to request être dispensé d'après tes circonstances, c'est à dire, le fait que tu as clairement montré la capacité de reausir académiquement en français. Mais ça, c'est à toi de le faire là.

Je n'ai jamais pris d'exam TFI, mais pour te dire vraiment, leur test de français ne m'inquiète pas trop...recevoir un C+ sur un exam qui test notre aptitude linguistique élémentaire ne peut pas être si difficile que ça. J'ignore les circonstances qu'ils considèrent assez notable pour contourner l'exigence du test...mais d'après mon avis, j'pense qu'ils veulent essayer que tout le monde passe leur test afin d'assurer que leurs nouveaux étudiants possèdent un niveau de français universitaire assez éléver pour faire des études en droit à Moncton. Vous avez toujours raison, et je vous encourage même, de demander à être dispensé de faire le test, si vous avez dejà passé le TFI. Par contre, dans mon cas, on dirait qu'ils ne considèrent pas l'éducation secondaire en immersion française comme substitution de leur cours FRAN1600. Peut-être les cours en français que vous avez pris l'été dernier vous servirez comme remplacement du test? Tant qu'à moi, il faudrait que je me mets à pratiquer un peu mon français écrit.