Sign in to follow this  
Bodhi

Queen's Collegiate Testing Center

Hey guys, so I am registered to write the October LSAT at Queen's Collegiate and the only reason I'd registered there was because I had heard from some friends that it was fairly good. I just did some research though and I am seeing horrible things about it and its making me very nervous! Most of the comments are a couple years old so I was just wondering if anyone has written there recently and if possible could describe their experience. Were the desks tiny, the room claustrophobic, noise outside the room etc. I would really appreciate some feedback!

Thank you in advance!

Hey guys, so I am registered to write the October LSAT at Queen's Collegiate and the only reason I'd registered there was because I had heard from some friends that it was fairly good. I just did some research though and I am seeing horrible things about it and its making me very nervous! Most of the comments are a couple years old so I was just wondering if anyone has written there recently and if possible could describe their experience. Were the desks tiny, the room claustrophobic, noise outside the room etc. I would really appreciate some feedback!

Thank you in advance!

Your friends are assholes. =P

From all accounts I've come across it's much less than ideal -- mostly a matter of small desks and rooms.

To be fair, it's probably not terrible. Noise is probably just dependent on luck of the draw -- I'm sure other test centers occasionally have noise problems. Smaller rooms are probably not a big deal either -- you won't be running around the whole time. But the smaller desks definitely seems to be a recurring theme from the vast majority of students that wrote there.

Your friends are assholes. =P

From all accounts I've come across it's much less than ideal -- mostly a matter of small desks and rooms.

To be fair, it's probably not terrible. Noise is probably just dependent on luck of the draw -- I'm sure other test centers occasionally have noise problems. Smaller rooms are probably not a big deal either -- you won't be running around the whole time. But the smaller desks definitely seems to be a recurring theme from the vast majority of students that wrote there.

Wow! They really are terrible friends! Small desks.. that is horrible.. Do you know if there's anything I can do about this?? I know the deadline has passed to change the test centre, stupid me I should have checked for myself sooner. But honestly I have prepared for this test too long to let something like that ruin all my hard work.. any advice other than wait for December?

Wow! They really are terrible friends! Small desks.. that is horrible.. Do you know if there's anything I can do about this?? I know the deadline has passed to change the test centre, stupid me I should have checked for myself sooner. But honestly I have prepared for this test too long to let something like that ruin all my hard work.. any advice other than wait for December?

I'm pretty sure you can't do much at this point (although, give LSAC a call Monday -- don't expect much but you never know), but honestly, don't let it phase you. It is what it is at this point, and while the desks might be smaller it's not like you'll be writing on a clipboard either. I haven't seen the desks myself but I'm sure they're passable even if they're not ideal. At least now you know ahead of time what to expect, so you know not to let it phase you, expect it and roll with the punches... =)

If you want, you could always take a trip down there and see what it's like -- I think it's a middle school -- and even if you don't know the exact room you'll be writing in I'd imagine most of the desks between the rooms are pretty standardized...

(actually, I was curious as to what it was -- looks like it's a high school too -- and I found some images that might help... =P)

http://www.queenscollegiate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140&Itemid=89 (kids with four tables in picture -- doesn't look that bad ^_^)

http://www.queenscollegiate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=133&Itemid=86 (same tables again, diff perspective)

http://www.queenscollegiate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=135&Itemid=88 (another view from top, a bit clearer)

http://www.queenscollegiate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139&Itemid=288 (more than one table in center, but other table visible in background)

Okay, going to stop now before my ISP starts alerts the authorities about questionable searches for pictures of middle schoolers.

Hey,

I actually wrote the test there last year and it was actually out of my own choice! I had checked out the place prior to enrolling and found that the small classrooms would be of benefit. Some reasons for why the centre is great are as follows:

1)small rooms, max of 35 people per room made it feel less competitive (for me atleast). I did a few mock tests at UofT and hated the large rooms, where it was easy to look around compare yourself to others

2)the atmosphere was awesome - great staff, not very noisy and very accessible. The tests actually start at different times for every class so that there is no rush for the bathroom. Also, the benefit is that the proctor knows who leaves and sort of "waits" for everyone to be back from the bathroom - or atleast in my situation that is what happened

3)Yes - small desks (they are high school desks - as it is a private high school) BUT it is nothing out of the ordinary. You will def. have enough room for all your pencils, watch, papers and what not. If you were to compare to a large room with those long desks, the space would approx. be the same as people are generally seated next to each other (or every other chair apart).

4) I did not find the room claustrophobic at all! You had a fair amount of space between desks. Also, wherever you go, you will find a fair amount of noise (the sound of someone flipping a page, etc) - if these noises bother you, I would reccommend you start studying under those conditions as practice

5)There was absolutely no noise outside the classroom. When we were allowed to go out for the 15 min break, we were not allowed to speak at all so as to not disturb other people from writing in the other classrooms.

I hope this helps. I know matters of where to write are very personal, however, Queen's collegiate was an ideal place for me...and by far better than writing in a large room such as at York or UofT.

Cheers

Hahaha those pictures are hilarious, I literally just analyzed every single one myself and more that I found from the website and random google searches. Thanks for the advice I probably will go visit tomorrow, hopefully they'll let me see the rooms. I might even call but I'm just afraid I might end up somewhere worse so I dont know, its kind of a gamble.

And Ziggy wow thanks so much I really do feel a lot better knowing that its more like what I imagined and less like what I was reading on some peoples comments! Just going through all the horrible comments I was close to all together throwing October out the window after 6 months of studying! Now I know that's dumb and at least I know what to expect.

Again thank you both so much!

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Ziggy. I wrote there and had no problem with noise at all. The desks were smallish but not awful. Don't worry about it.

For anyone writing the June LSAT at Queen's Collegiate - did you notice the LSAT ticket says parking will not be available on site? Having said this, where can one park one's car nearby the center? I have no choice but to drive to the test because no one can drive me and taking transit will delay me in getting to work after the test is done. I was thinking either I would park at Cloverdale Mall (a 10 minute walk but risky because I might get a parking ticket for being there too long) or at Kipling station and bussing it over along Bloor Street (not risky because I would be paying for parking but also annoying). Anyone know of any other options?

Edited by nevergivingup16

For anyone writing the June LSAT at Queen's Collegiate - did you notice the LSAT ticket says parking will not be available on site? Having said this, where can one park one's car nearby the center? I have no choice but to drive to the test because no one can drive me and taking transit will delay me in getting to work after the test is done. I was thinking either I would park at Cloverdale Mall (a 10 minute walk but risky because I might get a parking ticket for being there too long) or at Kipling station and bussing it over along Bloor Street (not risky because I would be paying for parking but also annoying). Anyone know of any other options?

There's an entrance to a pay parking lot if you go just a little further south on The East Mall on the west side of the road. If you go out the back exit of the parking lot you'll be on the same side road as the school. I parked there last June and December with no issue.

Thank you! Is it north or south of bloor st? Also, what does the area look like more or less? Are there any signs? (I plan on driving over there this week to check it out). And does it fill up quickly? I have no problem getting there an hour or two early or so if it means I can get parking, pay for it, and have a peace of mind but I'd rather not wait around the test centre that long if I don't have to. The anxiety will probably get to me haha.

There's an entrance to a pay parking lot if you go just a little further south on The East Mall on the west side of the road. If you go out the back exit of the parking lot you'll be on the same side road as the school. I parked there last June and December with no issue.

If you strike out at Cloverdale Mall, there's also a Loblaws at Burnhamthorpe and The East Mall. 

I imagine you could probably also get away with parking on one of the residential streets between Bloor and Burnhamthorpe, just east of The East Mall. 

I wrote the LSAT there in December 2012 and I was able to park in an open parking lot that was part of the school's property without charge. I don't know if they changed something since then.

They must have because the admission ticket says "Parking not available at site, public transportation best".

I called in and from what I gathered there IS parking, just not enough to accomodate everyone. I'll just show up an hour and a half early and if its full, I'll park at Cloverdale and walk back. I'll even buy a snack or something at the mall so I can prove I'm a customer there if they give me a ticket although I don't anticipate it being a problem seeing as I'd be parking during normal mall hours (11:30 to 5ish).

I wrote the LSAT there in December 2012 and I was able to park in an open parking lot that was part of the school's property without charge. I don't know if they changed something since then.

Anyone else at this centre have a hard time understanding their proctor's instructions? There were many shared looks of confusion in my classroom. The proctor was acting like it was her first time; she was reading the instructions verbatim from the booklet (half the time it was covering her face). She also had to leave the room to get clarification from another LSAC employee during the test.

I had a pretty good proctor (an elderly gentleman with white hair) but I can't say the same about the room. We were absolutely crammed in a small room with no natural light, very dim lamps, and rows of elementary school like desks and crappy metal chairs. I actually had to ask to be moved to the centre of the room from the corner they shoved me in because of how bad the lighting was and how claustrophobic I felt lol.