Sign in to follow this  
hayleypdowd

Definition of "Academic Reference"

Alright, so a lot of schools require references and at least one "academic" reference.

I'm just wondering what falls under the definition of "academic" reference.

For example, after my undergrad I did my Bachelor of Education degree. During my degree I had two internships and worked with co-operating teachers at junior high and high schools. I obviously got to know these people really well and I would really like to use them as my references, as they can actually attest to my personality and my ability, unlike my university professors whose references would consist of "yes hayleypdowd was in my class .. and yes she got a good mark .. er.. that's it".

But I'm not sure if a co-operating teacher during a school internship qualifies as an academic reference. Anyone have any ideas?

I would not consider those an academic reference. You might be able to use one of them as an employer type reference but law schools are going to expect an academic reference to come from a prof. A prof who knows you well should be able to write substantially more than you've indicated. :)

Shit. I literally don't have a single professor that knows me "well", at all. I went through University just sitting in the back of class minding my own business. If I walked up to any prof that I've had in the last four years they wouldn't even know my name!

Well, luckily for most schools you only need to submit one academic reference -- you can still use your practicum supervisors for the other references. Plus, I'm not sure how much weight references are given -- if you have the marks and LSAT, it won't matter (as long as your reference isn't "HPD is a terrible person who routinely lies and deceives others").

(edited for spelling error)

Edited by KOMODO

Haha yeah I do have one prof who is willing to write a letter for me, and I did do 3 courses with him and got an A in each one. The only thing that sucks is the fact that he wouldn't be able to comment on me as a person AT ALL. When i asked him to write a reference for me for something last year he didn't even know who I was when I went to his office, haha.

But he's better than nothing!

OP,

When I applied, it had been two years since I was in school. Although I had good relationships with each prof I asked, in my emails to them (it wasn't possible to visit - I live in another city now) I re-capped who I was, how they knew me, the grade I received in their class, and a copy of the term paper I wrote for them, including their original comments.

For all I know, they had no clue who I was before I sent that, but I made that easy and clear and got two excellent letters from professors.