Sign in to follow this  
limewhale

French Competency Exam

Anyone know what type of exam this is goin to be, or when it is to be written? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Moncton will arrange the time and place specific for you. My brother wrote it and failed (although he did pass the Ottawa one). It is an essay exam for which you are allowed to bring a dictionary and grammar. My brother has near native ability in French, so what might have been the deal-breaker for him was the fact that English was his first language and they could (barely) tell. Perhaps they don't want to admit L1 English speakers if it comes at the expense of a native French speaker getting a seat.

Edited by Ptolemy

Thanks for the feedback. If you fail do you not get in, or does it mean that you have to take non-accredited French classes during your degree at UMoncton?

Also, do you get a second chance to write it if the first time you do poorly?

No problem. To my knowledge, one is not allowed to retake the test upon failing it. Instead, Moncton is giving my brother the option of taking a French course in New Brunswick this summer for admission purposes for the Fall. I think it starts on June 19 and runs to July 26.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I will be emailing admissions to remove myself from waitlist. Good luck everyone!
    • ACCEPTED!¬† Received the call at 10:28am and received the email at 10:45am. cGPA - 3.46 LSAT - 153 I'm beyond excited to join you all in September. Its been a stressful journey, so a massive thank-you to everyone for the support and advice throughout this process ūüėĬ†Best of luck to everyone still waiting!
    • It's kind of impressive how bad this advice is.
    • yeppers. got mine last night and got hit by a car while driving my bike 5 minutes later, what a day! (i'm fine, no broken bone) i'm wondering why they closed it so early too, but oh well. keep us posted if you end up calling!
    • After graduating,¬†i decided to study for the LSAT while volunteering. My first score was pretty¬†bad (due to nerves i think), but the second time around (June 15th) i was able to score a 154.¬†I¬†know that a 154 is still lower than the current minimum for¬†law schools in Canada.. Now, while doing PTs, i usually score around a 157-160. I have a CGPA of 3.5, and my B2 would roughly be around a 3.6. Again, just shy of the minimum. I know that law schools look at your application holistically. Just to give you an idea of my work/volunteering experience, I interned¬†for the federal government in Ottawa as a policy analyst for around 2 years,¬†and will be working for the government again in the next month or so. I volunteered at a Non-profit as a policy analyst and advocacy director, as well as other noteworthy volunteer¬†positions such as working with ex-convicts, and helping immigrant refugees integrate into Canadian society. Submission of applications for law school begin in September and i don't want to wait any longer. I'm unsure whether i should take the LSAT for the third time in August and risk getting a lower score, or if i should apply and try my luck. I feel like some of you folks would have a better idea as to whether I have a shot getting in with these scores if i have a strong application (personal statement, resume, ECs, etc.). I think it's the risk of getting a lower score that scares me, because if i do, that would look pretty bad on my application and i think it would ruin my chances of ever getting in. Thanks so much!! ¬†