Sign in to follow this  
bchopeful

Should I tell this lawyer that he must hire me?

When I was a child, I was in a car accident and recieved a barely visible scar. He told me (sarcastically of course) that if I got more than $1,500 from insurance than he would hire me.

Well, I argued and pestered them to $8,000.

So am I owed a job? I'm curious to see what he'd actually say.

swml, please keep your condescending comments within your own thread. I know your thread has not turned out as you expected (I could cite a few dozen posts but I won't), but I'd rather not listen to your (troll?) drivel within my own. Thanks.

PS, this explains nothing except that it's just a silly joke. I'd like to see the look on his face, however. Then again, with British Columbia's job market...:|

Edited by: bchopeful at: 4/13/05 12:15 am

I don't think he's going to offer you a job if you do come up with evidence of your accident compensation, and he's not required to do so even after his supposedly sarcastic remark. I think you'd have a tough time saying that you relied on his remark as a serious representation of his contractual intentions or an inducement to enter into a contract with you since you believe that he was being sarcastic at the time.

:o

sorry but this does not result in a contractual obligation. i know everyone has kinda joked around about it, but to be honest a court would consider it the exact same way. they will look to intent and consent to see if there is a contract. lets say that you and a friend are playing basketball and your friend says he'll give you $1000 if you hit 5 three pointers in a row or something... so you hit them but your friend would not actually have to pay you the money. so i know your situation's a little more serious, but courts will probably see it as a reasonable person would not think that your lawyer would have been intending to enter a contract with you.

all the same though, that doesn't mean you can't go and throw it in the guy's face now. cause i sure as hell would, this guy sounds pretty full of himself from what you've said.

I agree, it would be difficult to show that the lawyer intended to be legally bound ... but I still think that you should tell him to hire you just to stick it to him for his sarcasim, which seems highly unprofessional to me.

Edited by: Cross Examiner at: 4/13/05 1:50 pm