Sign in to follow this  
uviclaw

Racism/Sexism - U of A?

I too think that to generalize Albertans as those that would gaybash is completely unfair. However, speaking as someone that lived the first 20 years of my life in Toronto, and the last 5 in Calgary there is a noticeable difference. I know Calgary and Edmonton are very different (one reason I want to go to UofA...) but I have found a certain level of passive intolerance here in Calgary...

I don't by any means want to discourage the OP...(though I do want her seat at UofA)...but having come from the more liberal (lower case L) Ontario, to the conservative Alberta the social differences are difficult to ignore.

edit: though the social differences are noticable...kkk4life or whatever the moron is called is certainly is no representative of the province or its attitudes.

Edited by: thinkingthingsthrough at: 4/13/05 2:13 am

rollingrock,

Beliefs are quite tolerable but thinly veiled threats to the lives of a segment of the population are something else entirely.

Edited by: RekRD at: 4/13/05 2:21 am

I won't argue with you for a second that Alberta is far more conservative, which is one of the reasons I like living here.

As far as the passive intolerence, I don't see it, I suppose it has a larger presence here than anywhere else in Canada.

To be fair, the extremely popular and conservatie QR77's Dave Rutherford (basically their flagship program) is in favour of gay marriage and in many cases been active about promoting it. If you heard him on other issues you'd be surprised and I guess it serves as a ray of hope.

I think most albertans might see gay marriage as another way "those eastern bastards" are telling us how to live our lives. I'll tell you this, 999/1000 Albertans are more concerned with the concentration of power in central canada and how they waste "our" money than gay marriage.

CorpJay

jay, that is certainly a good point...and coming from "the center of the universe" I at first didn't get it, and wrote it off as whiny westerners...but having lived here awhile I can understand the frustration that many feel.

as for the passive intolerance, I chose my words carefully. The way I experience it(and I don't directly experience it...I'm a white heterosexual male)...is as a sort of, we know its wrong but....a classic example is "I'm not racist/sexist/homophobic, but" and they continue to tell a horribly racist/sexist/homophobic joke or anecdote.

I dunno, I love living here, I'm not moving back east...but it is certainly something that I can see.

I agree, I see racism in my everyday life. My best friend is East Indian and has been discriminated against at the local bars. I have no idea if this happens in other canadian cities but it definitely happens here. It's too bad that economic conservatism always gets lumped with social conservatism (abortion, gay marriage etc..), it seems like they are one in the same yet have nothing to do with eachother.

TTT can I ask what your stats are, have you received any word for UA yet? Do you go to school here now?

CorpJay

Obviously there are pockets of racism everywhere, your example of your East Indian friend is one...I have just found more instances here than I had in Toronto...obviously a limited sample.

I am finishing my undergrad at UofC right now. Uh, stats are funny...last two years about 3.1, maybe a little bit less. cumulative...very very bad, a couple of years of partying saw to that. LSAT 164.

One of the prev threads was a little discouraging as I was hoping for a 2nd round offer but it doesn't look like its coming.

Did you apply to UC? they seem to be less of a stats whore!

Also what is your UG degree in, they are also more likely to take that into consideration.

CorpJay

Yeah,

I applied to UofC...not too interested in staying here though. My undergrad is Philosophy with minor in PoliSci.

So far been dinged at Western and Queens...waiting on Dal, UNB, Ottawa, UofC and UofA...

I think UNB and UofA are my only chances...

I think the way in which you answered the questions at UA might help you now. Also, your LSAT score is quite good, have you called UA to check your application status?

I'm a fellow UofC'er and have no desire to stay here either, I think there's a bad moon on the rise.

:x

CorpJay

Answered the questions? In the supp form?

If that's what you mean, I focused on what was more or less true...that I was immature, caught up in party scene etc, tried to harp on upward trend of grades etc etc.

I've been in contact with them, but only get very general responses...

I knew getting into this that I was borderline at best, but thought I'd give it a whirl anyway.

My main reason for wanting to get out of UofC is a change of environment. Though since my indiscretions of my first 2 years my grades have gone up significantly, I am still too easily distracted by friends, beer, etc....I think if I stayed here for 1L I would be seriously putting myself at a disadvantage.

I know a lot of people who feel moving out of their city of origin allows them to "grow up" a lot faster and keeps them away from distractions.

i suppose you are up churning out some paper before friday (the reason I am up so late).

CorpJay

indeed....

if by churning out a paper you do of course mean doing everything in my power to find something else to do...

one thing undergrad has taught me is how to be the master-procrastinator. Not a skill that will help me too much in LS (if I ever get there)...but one I've honed none the less.

Regardless of quality, this paper is being turned in by fri. I spent the last two BSD's in the info commons working on papers...not going to be the case this year.

I can't do BSD this year...and it's my last one!!

My fiancee is trying to convince me to go, I'm thinking about picking up one ofthose shirts in Machall as a souvenir of the ones I've had in the past, I also think i'm getting a little too old for this.:rollin

I spent all last week procrastinating on this paper and finally started it the other night, I just finished it, what a relief.

I too am worried about this particular "skill" in law school but I've told myself that it will all go away after undergrad and I should treat myself to a few more sleepless nights.

the worst thing is tommorwo i have to get up and study for a final i have on thursday....UGH does it get any worse?

CorpJay

Doesn't get worse...but gets a whole lot better (in precisely 8 days for me)...

Congrats on finishing the paper...I've got a few more hours tonight...then start the next one (due monday) tomorrow.

I'll be in line at noon for the beer gardens....then who knows...I'm not 18 anymore, can't party for 14 hours like I used to. Probably go to some after parties, but won't bother going downtown.

haha in ontario east indians dont ever get discrimnated against in a bar/club. hehe we rule toronto! hahah just kidding..but hey being indian has helped me in toronto since there's so many of us! never seen so many till i moved to ontario..:lol

but to the poster..a lot of my cousins were born and brought up in edmonton ( and are east indian) and never ever had a problem AT ALL. and they both attended u Of A and continued onto med and law at u of A as well and never had a problem:D

Occurs everywhere in Canada.

I've seen instances of racism everywhere I've travelled in Canada. I don't think Alberta is more or less bad. But some parts of it are pretty conservative. I wouldn't say more racist though.

Because of the oil/gas industry, Alberta is one of the few places in Canada (hell, North America) where an able bodied male can make a lot of money even if he doesn't have much education. A rigworker with a grade 12 education can make $60,000 a year, often much more. So a lot of people from the ROC who don't have education and can't get jobs come here to work. And of course people in Alberta who don't go on to PSE do the same thing.

The thing is, this particular set of occupations is male-dominated and generally made up of white males from Alberta and from the ROC who have low levels of education (i.e. high school). There's no unionization at all. (I'm not promoting or opposing unions). But the culture of the energy industry is not pro-union, and the guys are obviously paid well enough not to need one.

The thing is, I think trade unions in Ontario have done a lot to prevent and eliminate sexism and racism in low-skill, low-education occupations in those sectors. Ontario manufacturing and heavy industry has a near 100% unionization rate, and minority participation rates in those jobs are pretty high. Alberta simply doesn't have much in the way of those sectors, and minority participation in the labour ("upstream") end of the oil and gas industry, apart from First Nations in certain areas (namely, oilsands), are pretty low.

Hence I think in the low-education, low-skill jobs, there would be somewhat more racism in Alberta than in Ontario. That's not because Albertans are racists -- actually, a lot of the energy labourers in Alberta, aren't from Alberta. That's just the lack of exposure to other people, cultures, colours. And it's a lack of education.

Now take a degreed, female 27 year old visible minority working at Imperial Oil in Calgary, who drives a Lexus and lives a 10 minute walk away from work. After 5 years in the industry after graduating, she can expect to be making $70,000 a year. That's like making $100,000 in Toronto. She's got access to the very best Calgary has to offer, because of her social and economic status. Her life is one of 50-60 hour workweeks, weekend trips to LA (it's cheaper than flying to Toronto :wink: or to Lake Louise, $15 martinis on Stephen Avenue. She'll be working with a lot of education white and minorities. A very different world.

A white rigworker with a grade 12 making $60,000 up in Fort McMurray certainly won't encounter the racism a minority in the same job may encounter, but he's also not going to be treated the same way the professional in Calgary is, either. He's making about the same money as our Imperial Oil worker, but he doesn't have her social status.

Actually, I'd say, that if you live in Canada, and you're a smart minority with a degree, Calgary or Edmonton's the place to be.

I think it's fair to say that minorities who enter into powerful professions like Law or Medicine, don't experience the same problems as working poor minorities who don't have much education. That is not to say there is no such thing is racism in the professions. But there's a lot less than amongst the less-educated or uneducated class....but from the killing floors of the slaughterhouses in Brooks to the glass towers of Calgary, from "Alberta Works" E.S.L. night classes to the UofA's ivy-covered buildings, in Alberta, it's a class system, built on education...

superx

Edited by: superx at: 4/13/05 5:11 pm