Uriel

Sharing Personal Information On Ls.ca: Maybe Don't So Much

Just out of curiosity.. why on earth is there no ability to delete your own posts, or for there to a time-frame (a few years perhaps) in which they vanish? That is likely a very simple function to implement.. would save some drunk-posting embarassment, and rashly thought out statements/questions, etc. And you will say, "oh yes, but that is exactly why you should think about what you're going to say thoroughly before you say a word". Although it is clear that no one is perfect, and I doubt anyone here has performed god-like analysis on every single one of their expressions before they came out. We all make mistakes.
I think whereverjustice's post and john grisham's post on the thread TT referred you to answer your concerns.

If you drunk post and regret it, then post an apology or explanation or whatever you deem fit when you sober up (I have certainly posted when inebriated and checked a couple threads the next morning to see what the damage was). You don't get to pretend it never happened. Just like in real life - acknowledge a mistake and move on.

Allowing people to delete their own posts means anytime anyone took a fancy to they could punch a bunch of holes in however many threads, reducing the comprehensiveness and utility of the discussions and of the board overall. And people would do it. In just the last two weeks I have had two requests to delete every single post from an account - and one of them had made about a hundred posts already and contributed to dozens of discussions.

If people are uncomfortable with having to stand behind everything they post here, our sympathy is limited. You have an hour to edit your posts. That should be plenty of time to reconsider if you really want to say what you've written.

• Like 2

Although this isn't the reason, I'll just mention it's also great practice for corresponding with opposing counsel or gathering evidence.  There are worse things than being alive to the idea that written words are forever. 

I can't be terribly specific - because I am aware of this fact - but suffice it to say that lawyers and fledgling lawyers should be very careful about what they post online.  It gets found, if not on the original site, then through a internet archival service.  "Deleting" something is not a thing anymore.

• Like 3

General reminder *bump* of the really excellent advice in this post.

Since this is a forum for law students (future, present and past) it is in many ways linked to your (eventual) professional persona. It might be a good idea to keep that in mind when posting. The internet never forgets.

• Like 1

Holy shit. My inbox is literally just “hey can you delete this? DELETE THIS. OMG MY LIFE IS OVER UNLESS YOU DELETE THIS”. 

Come on now. It’s 2019, learn how to use the internet people. Don’t ask about your chances by detailing every friendship and job and unique personal trait you have had since kindergarten. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1