Uriel

Sharing Personal Information On Ls.ca: Maybe Don't So Much

Great post. This should definitely be pinned somewhere. I often wonder myself how much information is too much to disclose, or if I've crossed a line. Usually, if I have any doubts I don't post. Like you say, stuff you post on the internet really does last forever, and this is a lesson that is particularly important for prospective law students and future lawyers to learn.

Edit: Apparently it has already been pinned which is great.

Edited by mcakes

Though I think it's common sense to avoid posting too much personal info in this age, I appreciate this reminder. It's not too hard to figure out who I am in real life, but I never say anything on the Internet that I would not say in real life. I'm going to see some of you in school or at work down the road, and it's just not in my interest to have a bad reputation before starting my career.

The only thing I'm not sure I'm comfortable with my future colleagues knowing are my admission stats for some odd reason. Once we matriculate, we're all on the same field anyways, and I don't want anyone to form a preconception of me based on my test scores, but c'est la vie.

• Like 3

Yeah, tng11, I feel where you're coming from. At first I was apprehensive about posting my admission stats, but then my anxiety trumped the more sane part of me and I contributed to (and even started) some "chances" threads. Ultimately, a lot of people have similar stats so I don't think it's too revealing. However, when some people post in length about their EC's, that's when things become dangerous.

But like tng11 said, I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't feel comfortable saying in real life. Hence why I never bash particular schools, adcomms, or speak to fellow posters in a disrespectful way.

Either way though, I appreciate this thread being pinned. It's like my dad always says, "If you're going to say something nasty or incriminating, say it in person. Never, ever write anything incriminating, because there's no way you can change your story."

• Like 1

Great post. Don't forget crazy internet people. They love lawyers (not so much as individuals, but as representatives of The System). Your online spat can get offline, fast - I have seen a couple situations where this has resulted in police action.

FWIW, the stats thing will stop being important real fast. I can no longer remember what my GPA was, but it was an average of 82%, and I can no longer remember what my LSAT was, but it was the 82nd percentile, and the only reason I know these things is because they matched and my brain found that entertaining and hung on to it.

Cannot recall what my highschool marks were. They got me into my undergrad. Cannot recall what my undergrad marks were. They got me into law school. Cannot actually recall the bulk of my law school marks. They got me an articling position.

I can, most of the time, remember where I articled ;)

• Like 2

Yeah, stats cease to matter. One of my best friends aced the LSAT. That was huge and scary at the time, but now it's just a neat trick that he pulled off. I think it takes two years for people to get over any given stage of your career: LSAT, law school, law school grades, articling... After two years of practice, the only question left seems to be what kind of career you've had so far.

What's your opinion about sharing one's personal statement on the forum for peer review?

What's your opinion about sharing one's personal statement on the forum for peer review?

Bad, bad, bad idea.

Here are some reasons why:

1) Your PS, according to law schools must be entirely by you. Yes, everyone serious about their application has friends and family edit it, but there's no reason to flaunt it.

2) Unless you have no major accomplishments your PS will make it super easy to figure out who you are in real life. See above.

3) Someone else can steal it, or even just portions of it. And then you're pretty screwed.

4) I'll bet law schools do at least some forms of plagarism check on your PS. Do you really want it showing up verbatim when they search for it?

Seriously bad, bad, bad idea.

Edited by staffer
  • Like 4

It would be extremely easy for many people (prospective employers, fellow students, anyone who knows me to some degree) to identify me based on my posts. But then, I'm an open book, and I'm used to everything that comes with that. I'm sure I've said some things on this board about my past and about my beliefs and opinions that could get me into trouble with some circles, and I may yet come to regret it. We'll see.

If you're smart, you'll play it safe—don't say anything offensive. If you do, don't post your marks for specific courses, don't go into detail about your extracurriculars, don't go into detail about your course selection, don't go into detail about your family or other life circumstances... etc.

Of course, I've never played it safe.

Take solace in the fact that while you may be identifiable based on your forum posts regarding your undergrad and law school marks, at least there isn't photographic evidence of you doing something like this... which is something that not all of us can say.

Never put anything on the record that you would be horrified to see attributed to you on the front page of a newspaper.

QFT.

QFT.

Slightly off topic, but what does this stand for?

Probably not Quantum Field Theory...

Quite Effing True?

My internet lingo skills are subpar. Thanks.

• Like 1

Usually, it's "Quoted for truth", expressing agreement with the previous poster.

It can also be "Quit fucking trolling", leading to unfortunate confusion in some contexts. :twisted:

• Like 3

Can I just say no recruiter cares enough about their job to actually conduct online forum research? Trust me. They're not that clever nor motivated. The job market is saturated and people probably give BJs for jobs in Toronto now (I kid! I kid!). Can I also say that this thread is totally in vain and unless you give out your name and SIN # you're being a paranoid OCD freak in giving a shit (i.e. you're a perfect candidate for law school!)?

Edited by Electra
  • Like 1

Can I just say no recruiter cares enough about their job to actually conduct online forum research? Trust me. They're not that clever nor motivated. The job market is saturated and people probably give BJs for jobs in Toronto now (I kid! I kid!). Can I also say that this thread is totally in vain and unless you give out your name and SIN # you're being a paranoid OCD freak in giving a shit (i.e. you're a perfect candidate for law school!)?

QFT.

• Like 2

There is a small but meaningful distinction between "Hm, Heg Dis... let's see what I can find online about this guy" and "Let's see what they're saying about Dal on the boards today... whoa, that was rude. Whoa, I know who that is!" Certain law school recruiters do read these forums and have spoken with the moderators to that effect. Some even post here. You are likely correct if you are speaking only about employers, but certainly incorrect if you are speaking about law school admissions personnel.