Bike Tester

10 reasons TO go to my law school

9 hours ago, cummer said:

Top reasons for Sask

I always feel that the last few 'reasons' are weak - so I'm going to do a solid 5. 

1. GOAT Year - the group of students just about to enter second year is 'lit.' They are super fun, love to party, and still kill it with their grades. As long as you can take some Slight Insults and aren't too thick skinned you'll be sure to find a great group of pals

2. Diversity - the range of students at Sask is phenomenal. Some from India, and other Asian countries, as well as young and old students. Well Actually, now that I think of it, we actually have a Dad at our school, and even Radagast the Brown. It adds so much to our school environment. 

3. Sports - there are so many sports teams that are incredibly fun at Sask. Inner tube water polo? Never heard of it? Neither had i - Until we won the league thanks to Moneyshot and the crew. Looking to defend our thrown next year. 

4. The LSA - our LSA at Sask is amongst the top in the country. We have plenty of events and most are sponsored by large firms which means their cheap for students, and have plenty of drinks. We just voted on our new LSA for next year and there are some true beauties. The new sports guy is of special noteworthiness - you'll for sure see him shirtless and let me tell you its quite the treat. Too bad he already has a BAE. 

5. The college itself. For the most part we don't have any Alphas that are uber competitive and always trying to get a leg up. It's a much more collegial environment which makes classes and studying way more enjoyable. 

Overall I'd say the experience thus far has been great at Sask and would recommend that anyone who is on the fence comes to Sask. The school does a great job of having plenty of events so that when you're not studying you've always got something to do. Just don't go home and Skype early when you're friends aren't looking. 

Don't worry guys, I got this--my brocabulary is a bit rusty since undergrad but I think I can communicate with him.

Sup, bruh--fist bumpz lol. U of S sounds sick titties lol. alright man, in this crazy ass high stakes game called law school, sometimes when it seems like the boyz are sippin on haterade, theyre droping knowledge lol. were all just Players in the game lol but sometimes you gotta get to that higher level. truth. like, you're on that Smirnoff shit and we just want to see you neckin' down Grey Goose lol. all love, all the time lol. kk man pc lol.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, rziegler said:

Don't worry guys, I got this--my brocabulary is a bit rusty since undergrad but I think I can communicate with him.

Sup, bruh--fist bumpz lol. U of S sounds sick titties lol. alright man, in this crazy ass high stakes game called law school, sometimes when it seems like the boyz are sippin on haterade, theyre droping knowledge lol. were all just Players in the game lol but sometimes you gotta get to that higher level. truth. like, you're on that Smirnoff shit and we just want to see you neckin' down Grey Goose lol. all love, all the time lol. kk man pc lol.

"communicate with him"

Excuse me? Who are you to make an assumption? Perhaps i'm a female, perhaps transgender? 

It's 2017, and if the words of Radagast "if folks make thy assumptions, the world is in grave danger!" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cummer said:

"communicate with him"

Excuse me? Who are you to make an assumption? Perhaps i'm a female, perhaps transgender? 

It's 2017, and if the words of Radagast "if folks make thy assumptions, the world is in grave danger!" 

Lol got me right in the schnutz but like Miles always said when life gives you onion rings get your head outta the kitchen and get on the field and just fuckin give er, eh lol

20 hours ago, cummer said:

Top reasons for Sask

I always feel that the last few 'reasons' are weak - so I'm going to do a solid 5. 

1. GOAT Year - the group of students just about to enter second year is 'lit.' They are super fun, love to party, and still kill it with their grades. As long as you can take some Slight Insults and aren't too thick skinned you'll be sure to find a great group of pals

2. Diversity - the range of students at Sask is phenomenal. Some from India, and other Asian countries, as well as young and old students. Well Actually, now that I think of it, we actually have a Dad at our school, and even Radagast the Brown. It adds so much to our school environment. 

3. Sports - there are so many sports teams that are incredibly fun at Sask. Inner tube water polo? Never heard of it? Neither had i - Until we won the league thanks to Moneyshot and the crew. Looking to defend our thrown next year. 

4. The LSA - our LSA at Sask is amongst the top in the country. We have plenty of events and most are sponsored by large firms which means their cheap for students, and have plenty of drinks. We just voted on our new LSA for next year and there are some true beauties. The new sports guy is of special noteworthiness - you'll for sure see him shirtless and let me tell you its quite the treat. Too bad he already has a BAE. 

5. The college itself. For the most part we don't have any Alphas that are uber competitive and always trying to get a leg up. It's a much more collegial environment which makes classes and studying way more enjoyable. 

Overall I'd say the experience thus far has been great at Sask and would recommend that anyone who is on the fence comes to Sask. The school does a great job of having plenty of events so that when you're not studying you've always got something to do. Just don't go home and Skype early when you're friends aren't looking. 

Well, the good news is that I'm no longer worried that the U of A might have too much focus on sports/intramurals after reading this...

I am a 2L at U of S in the fall and I don't know who cummer is, but I'm sure he's one of the very nice people who are in my year.

Though to be fair, I don't know who Radagast is supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure I know who Dad guy is.

45 minutes ago, celli660 said:

I am a 2L at U of S in the fall and I don't know who cummer is, but I'm sure he's one of the very nice people who are in my year.

Though to be fair, I don't know who Radagast is supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure I know who Dad guy is.

...maybe it's you.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, kiamia said:

...maybe it's you.

That seems unlikely, since I am neither wizardly nor connected to the environment.

I'm guessing this was some sort of snapchat reference that I'm not privy to.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:55 AM, cummer said:

Top reasons for Sask

Can you expand more on #5. As someone who is a father and will be taking care of two girls during law school, I'm concerned that everyone else will pass me by. Also, what is a BAE?

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity

Edited by Logan
  • Like 1

I won't start boasting my school after a few weeks BUT I will say that I got the impression that Ottawa's facilities were horrible from reading this thread. After walking through Fauteux and the attached buildings, my impression is that the building is completely adequate. There are enough couches to seat 20 which are right beside several tables and desks all equipped with outlets that seat another 50 minimum.  Balcony outside with the library ATTACHED to the building.... Student Center right across the street... 8 brand new microwaves, toasters, and other shit you really don't need lol... Now I don't know how it is when all three years are in Fauteux, but it looks pretty good when it's empty. I'd actually go as far and say people complaining about it seem spoiled. I don't know what your frames of reference are or which schools you're coming from, but I went to Ryerson, often referred to as RyeHigh, but they did just build out the modern SLC. Fauteux is much older yet much more functional than the SLC. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who disagrees with me. Maybe I'm naive and as I said above school hasn't started yet, but I just don't understand how I had such a horrible impression of the facility from reading this relative to the actual thing. 

Edit: I have been on the outside of UofT's new law facility (during construction), and it's definitely not as nice as that. 

Edited by Trew
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Trew said:

I won't start boasting my school after a few weeks BUT I will say that I got the impression that Ottawa's facilities were horrible from reading this thread. After walking through Fauteux and the attached buildings, my impression is that the building is completely adequate. There are enough couches to seat 20 which are right beside several tables and desks all equipped with outlets that seat another 50 minimum.  Balcony outside with the library ATTACHED to the building.... Student Center right across the street... 8 brand new microwaves, toasters, and other shit you really don't need lol... Now I don't know how it is when all three years are in Fauteux, but it looks pretty good when it's empty. I'd actually go as far and say people complaining about it seem spoiled. I don't know what your frames of reference are or which schools you're coming from, but I went to Ryerson, often referred to as RyeHigh, but they did just build out the modern SLC. Fauteux is much older yet much more functional than the SLC. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who disagrees with me. Maybe I'm naive and as I said above school hasn't started yet, but I just don't understand how I had such a horrible impression of the facility from reading this relative to the actual thing. 

Edit: I have been on the outside of UofT's new law facility (during construction), and it's definitely not as nice as that. 

I just finished my degree at uOttawa and yes, it's true that the facilities seem great when the building is empty. But unfortunately there are far too many students for the few seats and microwaves scattered around FTX. 

"Enough couches to seat 20" and "another 50 minimum" - yes, but there are about 300 students in each year of English common law and 80 students in each year of French common law. I'm not sure how many students are in Civil Law or in the National Program, but we share the building with them too. That's a LOT of people to be using the four couches in the atrium. Plus there are sometimes non-law courses held in the building, which means you might find SNAILS hanging out in the atrium or the library as well.

In three years, I rarely found a free seat in the atrium between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm. There is only one bathroom per floor with two-three stalls each (except for the first floor bathroom, which I think has six). The lineups between classes can get very frustrating, because almost everyone has a break at the same time.

The balcony is lovely, but you can only really use it in September/October if you can find a seat at one of the two benches that are there, because the rest of the year it's far too cold outside.

It's hard to find a place nearby to buy a decent and affordable lunch. The sad little cafe in the atrium sells 3 dollar yogurt parfaits and 6 dollar croissant sandwiches. Yes, the student center is across the street and sort of has a Tim Hortons, but at lunch time the line is ridiculously long. You have to go for a ten minute walk to find a decent place to eat (which isn't bad at all when it's nice out, but at -30 degrees you'd rather not get your nice suit covered in slush in order to eat at Subway).

There are often times when you wish you had a place to meet with a study group or to have a small meet and greet. The library has study rooms but they are usually booked and don't fit that many students. The Student Lounge at 600 King Edward used to be a great place to meet in groups, but since last year they started locking the doors and asking students to pay for a special key, making it difficult to schedule group things there (since you can't assume everyone has a key to get in). Plus 600 King Edward isn't even accessible to students with disabilities.

I'm sorry your undergrad facilities were lame, but compared to the campus where I did my undergrad, FTX is hardly adequate.

Maybe we seem spoiled because we expect to have a comfortable place to study, eat an affordable lunch, or meet with our peers, but I think that after you've paid ~$60,000 to be there you can't help but have higher expectations.

HOWEVER, I will admit that the classrooms are very nice. The seats are comfortable and you always have access to an outlet. The library is fine too, especially the fifth floor (unless you need to use the bathroom; if you do, good luck to you, because the few and only toilets -two, to be exact- are pretty gross).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coffeequeen said:

I just finished my degree at uOttawa and yes, it's true that the facilities seem great when the building is empty. But unfortunately there are far too many students for the few seats and microwaves scattered around FTX. 

"Enough couches to seat 20" and "another 50 minimum" - yes, but there are about 300 students in each year of English common law and 80 students in each year of French common law. I'm not sure how many students are in Civil Law or in the National Program, but we share the building with them too. That's a LOT of people to be using the four couches in the atrium. Plus there are sometimes non-law courses held in the building, which means you might find SNAILS hanging out in the atrium or the library as well.

In three years, I rarely found a free seat in the atrium between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm. There is only one bathroom per floor with two-three stalls each (except for the first floor bathroom, which I think has six). The lineups between classes can get very frustrating, because almost everyone has a break at the same time.

The balcony is lovely, but you can only really use it in September/October if you can find a seat at one of the two benches that are there, because the rest of the year it's far too cold outside.

It's hard to find a place nearby to buy a decent and affordable lunch. The sad little cafe in the atrium sells 3 dollar yogurt parfaits and 6 dollar croissant sandwiches. Yes, the student center is across the street and sort of has a Tim Hortons, but at lunch time the line is ridiculously long. You have to go for a ten minute walk to find a decent place to eat (which isn't bad at all when it's nice out, but at -30 degrees you'd rather not get your nice suit covered in slush in order to eat at Subway).

There are often times when you wish you had a place to meet with a study group or to have a small meet and greet. The library has study rooms but they are usually booked and don't fit that many students. The Student Lounge at 600 King Edward used to be a great place to meet in groups, but since last year they started locking the doors and asking students to pay for a special key, making it difficult to schedule group things there (since you can't assume everyone has a key to get in). Plus 600 King Edward isn't even accessible to students with disabilities.

I'm sorry your undergrad facilities were lame, but compared to the campus where I did my undergrad, FTX is hardly adequate.

Maybe we seem spoiled because we expect to have a comfortable place to study, eat an affordable lunch, or meet with our peers, but I think that after you've paid ~$60,000 to be there you can't help but have higher expectations.

HOWEVER, I will admit that the classrooms are very nice. The seats are comfortable and you always have access to an outlet. The library is fine too, especially the fifth floor (unless you need to use the bathroom; if you do, good luck to you, because the few and only toilets -two, to be exact- are pretty gross).

Thank you for your response ; I will say that quite simply your argument is strongest for like four hours of the day as it assumes most of the program will be using the facilities at the same time in addition to SNAILS. I don't think  close to1000 people will be using the 70 or so seating area past 2pm. I think I can manage around the rush period of 11-1. A lot of your concerns seem to be weather related which would apply to all schools, except perhaps for Ottawa's colder winters. I don't know what else they could do to alleviate that. The buildings are already connected and the walk to the student center really isn't that far from Fauteux, like 45 seconds. Even if you did have a break during rush hour and the building were packed, there seems to be plenty of buildings around to study at including more than one library. I'm just saying I was expecting much worse, and I also wouldn't consider my frame of reference lame just not above average. 

I will end this with of course you actually attended for three years and do know better than me, but the impression I got was that the facility wasn't so bad. Maybe that'll change when classes start

Edited by Trew

11 minutes ago, Trew said:

I will say that quite simply your argument is strongest for like four hours of the day as it assumes most of the program will be using the facilities at the same time in addition to SNAILS. I don't think  close to1000 people will be using the 70 or so seating area past 2pm. I think I can manage around the rush period of 11-1.

Unfortunately a lot of first years have similar schedules with everyone getting a break between 11:30 am and 1 pm. And I think in general there are very few courses that are scheduled at that time. I don't know why that is, but this one and a half hour break is the absolute worst. It's also when all the events are scheduled too, so there's always a crowd rushing in and out of FTX.

14 minutes ago, Trew said:

A lot of your concerns seem to be weather related which would apply to all schools, except perhaps for Ottawa's colder winters. I don't know what else they could do to alleviate that.

I think they could improve the food options in FTX, so that you're not forced to go out to grab something to eat. Sometimes you can have back to back classes all day and find yourself with very limited choices for a coffee/snack. It's true that the walk to the student center isn't bad, but the options there are either unhealthy (I wish I could eat donuts and chips everyday though), too expensive (10 dollar sushi boxes were beyond my budget) or the lineups were too long (there are a LOT of undergrads in the student center). If you don't mind unhealthy food though, then you have more options.

That said, the Rideau Center is really close by (15 minute walk) and has some affordable and healthier food options. Whenever I needed to buy a lunch, that's usually where I would go. There is also a Timmies that just opened up on Dalhousie and Rideau. It's just that having 30 mins+ to get to the food place and back to school is a luxury you won't always have. 

And having spent too much time in that building over the past three years, I do feel salty at times, so it's very cathartic to go off on these rants. :) Of course, my experience was ultimately just fine, although there's room for improvement if uOttawa wants to "defy the conventional". 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, coffeequeen said:

Unfortunately a lot of first years have similar schedules with everyone getting a break between 11:30 am and 1 pm. And I think in general there are very few courses that are scheduled at that time. I don't know why that is, but this one and a half hour break is the absolute worst. It's also when all the events are scheduled too, so there's always a crowd rushing in and out of FTX.

I think they could improve the food options in FTX, so that you're not forced to go out to grab something to eat. Sometimes you can have back to back classes all day and find yourself with very limited choices for a coffee/snack. It's true that the walk to the student center isn't bad, but the options there are either unhealthy (I wish I could eat donuts and chips everyday though), too expensive (10 dollar sushi boxes were beyond my budget) or the lineups were too long (there are a LOT of undergrads in the student center). If you don't mind unhealthy food though, then you have more options.

That said, the Rideau Center is really close by (15 minute walk) and has some affordable and healthier food options. Whenever I needed to buy a lunch, that's usually where I would go. There is also a Timmies that just opened up on Dalhousie and Rideau. It's just that having 30 mins+ to get to the food place and back to school is a luxury you won't always have. 

And having spent too much time in that building over the past three years, I do feel salty at times, so it's very cathartic to go off on these rants. Of course, my experience was ultimately just fine, although there's room for improvement if uOttawa wants to "defy the conventional". 

I'll try and bring food but I  agree that if you're searching for food and have somewhere to be soon, then it's famine 

Edited by Trew
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Trew said:

Man I've been saying this for the past year when people complain.

2 hours ago, Trew said:

Thank you for your response ; I will say that quite simply your argument is strongest for like four hours of the day as it assumes most of the program will be using the facilities at the same time in addition to SNAILS. I don't think  close to1000 people will be using the 70 or so seating area past 2pm. I think I can manage around the rush period of 11-1.

Don't underestimate how bothersome this is. Manageable, for sure, but man it sucks when there's a bunch of undergrads trying to do their Intro to Middle Eastern Politics prezi and all you want to do is eat your shitty sandwich before you go sit in class and hope your name doesn't get called for a question you can't answer.

For the food issue Coffeequeen mentioned - it sucks, but what school really has adequate and cheap food services on campus? Ryerson has, what, a new cafeteria with expensive noodles and some boxed sandwiches? Or you can eat anywhere in the area for either a hilariously inflated price-point, or terribly unhealthy. Universities are seldom close to a plethora of cheap and healthy restaurants. This isn't just an Ottawa thing.

Really, I don't mind school criticism. it fosters change. But when people (aggregate, not coffeequeen) latch on to issues that are common among all universities (not just law schools), easy to remedy, or just petty (again, not Coffeequeen) it really rings hollow and I think speaks to your observation about a feeling of entitlement. For the food issue, really, the easiest way to address this is to bring your own lunch. It's cheaper, healthier (probably), and you have way more choice.

I wholeheartedly agree with the use of Fauteux facilities among people not in law school as a pet peeve. Look, I get that we all pay in to the University pool and all affect the budget, but the law library is not the place to go watch anime on your down time when other people are trying to find somewhere to study.

4 hours ago, coffeequeen said:

Those keys are free though. All you have to do is ask for one. But yeah, not accessible at all. Actually Fauteux is pretty inaccessible as well. No elevators on the main floor when you walk in. You need to take the lift down, and then use the elevators there. Pretty silly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FunnyLawName said:

Man I've been saying this for the past year when people complain.

Don't underestimate how bothersome this is. Manageable, for sure, but man it sucks when there's a bunch of undergrads trying to do their Intro to Middle Eastern Politics prezi and all you want to do is eat your shitty sandwich before you go sit in class and hope your name doesn't get called for a question you can't answer.

For the food issue Coffeequeen mentioned - it sucks, but what school really has adequate and cheap food services on campus? Ryerson has, what, a new cafeteria with expensive noodles and some boxed sandwiches? Or you can eat anywhere in the area for either a hilariously inflated price-point, or terribly unhealthy. Universities are seldom close to a plethora of cheap and healthy restaurants. This isn't just an Ottawa thing.

Really, I don't mind school criticism. it fosters change. But when people (aggregate, not coffeequeen) latch on to issues that are common among all universities (not just law schools), easy to remedy, or just petty (again, not Coffeequeen) it really rings hollow and I think speaks to your observation about a feeling of entitlement. For the food issue, really, the easiest way to address this is to bring your own lunch. It's cheaper, healthier (probably), and you have way more choice.

I wholeheartedly agree with the use of Fauteux facilities among people not in law school as a pet peeve. Look, I get that we all pay in to the University pool and all affect the budget, but the law library is not the place to go watch anime on your down time when other people are trying to find somewhere to study.

Those keys are free though. All you have to do is ask for one. But yeah, not accessible at all. Actually Fauteux is pretty inaccessible as well. No elevators on the main floor when you walk in. You need to take the lift down, and then use the elevators there. Pretty silly.

Jerk Chicken right under the movie theatre is the spot at Ryerson, and you're jokes

Edited by Trew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trew said:

Jerk Chicken right under the movie theatre is the spot at Ryerson

Like, in the food court? Or where specifically?

This is important; roti roll increased the price on their lunch special and I need to move on

1 hour ago, whereverjustice said:

Like, in the food court? Or where specifically?

This is important; roti roll increased the price on their lunch special and I need to move on

Lol right under the AMC on the second floor, on the NorthEast corner take the escalator up a level past Adidas

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trew said:

Lol right under the AMC on the second floor, on the NorthEast corner take the escalator up a level past Adidas

An Adidas, a food court, and an AMC? Is Ryserson located in a mall or something?

7 hours ago, Ilikecoffee said:

An Adidas, a food court, and an AMC? Is Ryserson located in a mall or something?

Ryerson, I'd argue, has the best location of any university in Canada including UofT. That's only a small area on one corner of the intersection, the other side is Eaton so it's pretty close to a mall

Edited by Trew
  • Like 1