Sign in to follow this  
leezgo

Thomas M. Cooley Law School

On 9/26/2015 at 10:56 AM, HopingHopper said:

Hey the Dimond & Dimond guy went to Thomas M. Cooley.  He seems to be doing pretty well for himself.  Just saying...

He also is supposedly the top trial lawyer in the GTA despite having never actually done a trial. He doesn't practice law, really. He's just running an advertising and referral agency. Read the transcripts from when he was examined under oath regarding violating his agreement with a firm he was supposed to be funneling clients to.

"Were you practising law in your relationship with Diamond & Diamond?" asked Alan Rachlin, lawyer for Bergmanis Preyra.

"That can – I mean I'm – I don't really understand that question," replied Mr. Diamond.

Yeah... the firm is really sketchy this way. Lots of clients report that their private information is being sent to other lawyers without their knowledge and they're getting calls from people who claim to be their lawyer despite having never heard of them. Supposedly it's getting better, but they're just trying to change a few things before the law society finally decides to properly intervene (which they seem to be refusing to do, which is always suspicious)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/case-offers-window-into-widespread-referral-fee-use/article5083777/

• Like 1

I love every time this thread gets bumped. It's like stumbling on a classic movie you forgot about.

• Like 1

So I was looking up local lawyers in my small city and it turns out one of the firms here has an articling student who graduated from Cooley. It can happen, folks!

On 8/15/2018 at 1:21 PM, QueensGrad said:

He also is supposedly the top trial lawyer in the GTA despite having never actually done a trial. He doesn't practice law, really. He's just running an advertising and referral agency. Read the transcripts from when he was examined under oath regarding violating his agreement with a firm he was supposed to be funneling clients to.

"Were you practising law in your relationship with Diamond & Diamond?" asked Alan Rachlin, lawyer for Bergmanis Preyra.

"That can – I mean I'm – I don't really understand that question," replied Mr. Diamond.

Yeah... the firm is really sketchy this way. Lots of clients report that their private information is being sent to other lawyers without their knowledge and they're getting calls from people who claim to be their lawyer despite having never heard of them. Supposedly it's getting better, but they're just trying to change a few things before the law society finally decides to properly intervene (which they seem to be refusing to do, which is always suspicious)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/case-offers-window-into-widespread-referral-fee-use/article5083777/

Well in defence of my 3 yr old comment, top managing lawyers at law firms cannot really practice and do the day-to-day grind. Exampli gratia Jessica Pearson from Suits. 

1 hour ago, HopingHopper said:

Well in defence of my 3 yr old comment, top managing lawyers at law firms cannot really practice and do the day-to-day grind. Exampli gratia Jessica Pearson from Suits. 

I sincerely hope you're not being serious.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HopingHopper said:

You can't be serious, right? Even in the context of the show she did trials, and had done trials prior to reaching that level. The Diamond example is someone who has NEVER done a trial. I had my first trial during my second year of practice (finally had a case that matured to that point and didn't settle before hand).

3 hours ago, HopingHopper said:

You realize Suits is not a documentary? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, QueensGrad said:

You can't be serious, right? Even in the context of the show she did trials, and had done trials prior to reaching that level. The Diamond example is someone who has NEVER done a trial. I had my first trial during my second year of practice (finally had a case that matured to that point and didn't settle before hand).

Yeah but remember that Harvey would get nervous every time she would suggest that she would do it.  She would always ask him "What, you don't think I still got it?" which suggests that she didn't actually litigate.  :)

12 hours ago, HopingHopper said:

Some managing partners do still maintain a practice. My understanding is that the bigger the firm, the less common this is, but in many smaller or medium to large firms, they do.

And Suits? Seriously?

1 hour ago, providence said:

Some managing partners do still maintain a practice. My understanding is that the bigger the firm, the less common this is, but in many smaller or medium to large firms, they do.

And Suits? Seriously?

Hey their firm is fairly sized!  

And wow to all of those who actually think I'm serious about quoting a tv show :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HopingHopper said:

Hey their firm is fairly sized!  

And wow to all of those who actually think I'm serious about quoting a tv show :) 

Less than 50 lawyers from what I see.

I don't get why you threw the TV show in to a seemingly-serious comment, then.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1