Sign in to follow this  
Law Girl26

Queen's Off-Topic thread of mad hatter madness!

At this point in the cycle, I'm pretty much operating under the assumption that I won't be getting in to Queen's. She acts like I don't even exist, and hasn't so much as batted an eyelash at any of my numerous overtures. I'm a fella who knows when to take a hint.

At this point in the cycle, I'm pretty much operating under the assumption that I won't be getting in to Queen's. She acts like I don't even exist, and hasn't so much as batted an eyelash at any of my numerous overtures. I'm a fella who knows when to take a hint.

Well, she does have a lot of other suitors...a girl that popular isn't going to settle down so quickly :) You've set your cards on the table,so she knows your deal. I guess patience is the key - persistence and patience are staples in any good wooing ;)

Well, she does have a lot of other suitors...a girl that popular isn't going to settle down so quickly :) You've set your cards on the table,so she knows your deal. I guess patience is the key - persistence and patience are staples in any good wooing ;)

You know, JusticeHopeful, I think you're right; a gal like Queen's is worth fighting for! Hmm, how to proceed, though... Flowers? No, too predictable. Love letter? Liable to get lost in the countless stacks of applications. What about a little seductive crooning? Mmyes, I could drive to Kingston and win her over with a rendition of a particularly moving ballad. Perhaps a little

? Alas, I have not the flowing locks. Oh, I know, what about
? *Sigh* I'm not sure I can hit the upper registers. What then? No clue what to do, I think I should just give up, as there is no hope. Wait a sec...was that a haiku? It was! A haiku professing my love it is, then.

We shall be as one:

lovers in jurisprudence.

Please pick Ender Queen's.

I don't know, that sounds a little too cheesy, not to mention needy. Perhaps a limerick?

There once was a man from Melmac,

whose brown fur did cover his whole back.

While muscular and fine, he'll never be mine,

as my cat he did have for a light snack.

Well, that doesn't help my case at all. This is going nowhere. What can I do, JusticeHopeful, to make Queen's pick me? Are you, by any chance, a member of the mysterious and wonderful female subgroup? If so, and if you were Queen's, what could a humble Melmacian do to win you over? Help me, JusticeHopeful--you're my only hope!

• Like 3

lol i have no hope with Queens, cant remember why i applied.

But Ender your posts are so entertaining! :)

Yeah, sorry about that. To make up for it, I went through the IN thread from last year. Here's what I found:

- 23 people off ls.ca were admitted from our current point in the cycle (end of April)

- The acceptances were broken down as follows:

APRIL: 6

MAY: 4

JUNE: 9

JULY: 4

- Apart from the admissions in April, the rest seemed to begin about halfway to two-thirds through each month in

concentrated batches.

So, it's not over yet, comrades. I was actually slightly encouraged by the numbers, though who knows how well they will apply to the current cycle.

What I would give for an online application system for Queen's. I'm running out of sites to neurotically refresh throughout the day.

So far:

April 2011: 5 (or 4 depending on when a poster received their file)

May 2011: 4 (so far)

Hopefully June and July will be as active as last year ...

Well, it's June or nothing for me, as I have to prepare to move to the other side of the country. I'll be apartment hunting the first week of July and moving in at the beginning of August, so if I don't hear anything by the second week of July, at the very latest, I'll have to withdraw my application. If I just settled in Edmonton, bought and assembled all of my IKEA furniture, and all of a sudden heard that I was accepted by my first-choice school, I'd probably have to be locked away in a padded room--the kind where dinner's served with a plastic spork, and your shoes must be worn lace-less, or not at all. I'm considering drafting a strongly worded poem, to be signed by every willing lawstudents.ca member, and sent to each law school as a petition for the reform of the application process.

Well, it's June or nothing for me, as I have to prepare to move to the other side of the country. I'll be apartment hunting the first week of July and moving in at the beginning of August, so if I don't hear anything by the second week of July, at the very latest, I'll have to withdraw my application. If I just settled in Edmonton, bought and assembled all of my IKEA furniture, and all of a sudden heard that I was accepted by my first-choice school, I'd probably have to be locked away in a padded room--the kind where dinner's served with a plastic spork, and your shoes must be worn lace-less, or not at all. I'm considering drafting a strongly worded poem, to be signed by every willing lawstudents.ca member, and sent to each law school as a petition for the reform of the application process.

I'm moving from the Vancouver area to Ontario (Windsor's the lock so far, but I'm hoping somewhere else opens up), and I'm still planning on just moving out there and looking for apartments around the first week of August. I've had friends who've moved from here to Ottawa and Montreal, and they both went in late August and were able to find housing around then (they chose to go the roommate route, which is probably the way I'll end up going too). My ignorant self still thinks that looking for a place online any earlier than late July (like a week before leaving) would be pointless cause places could get snatched up before I even land. I'm still looking at areas that I would prefer to live, and looking at rooms and pricing in the areas, but I haven't actually called anyone to try and negotiate the rental cost or anything cause I won't be leaving here for a while and I probably won't do any of that til the end of July. Anyone with more experience wanna educate me on this? I've spoken with a bunch of people who've moved away for law school to different areas, and they've all pretty much said that it should be fine to stick with my plan of finding places a week before, making appointments and then looking around the moment I land (I figure I'd have to stay in hotel/motel for a night or two, but them's the breaks).

So if it ends up being a sane way to go, I'll hold on to my apps everywhere til the bitter end. I have no pride.

I'm moving from the Vancouver area to Ontario (Windsor's the lock so far, but I'm hoping somewhere else opens up), and I'm still planning on just moving out there and looking for apartments around the first week of August. I've had friends who've moved from here to Ottawa and Montreal, and they both went in late August and were able to find housing around then (they chose to go the roommate route, which is probably the way I'll end up going too). My ignorant self still thinks that looking for a place online any earlier than late July (like a week before leaving) would be pointless cause places could get snatched up before I even land. I'm still looking at areas that I would prefer to live, and looking at rooms and pricing in the areas, but I haven't actually called anyone to try and negotiate the rental cost or anything cause I won't be leaving here for a while and I probably won't do any of that til the end of July. Anyone with more experience wanna educate me on this? I've spoken with a bunch of people who've moved away for law school to different areas, and they've all pretty much said that it should be fine to stick with my plan of finding places a week before, making appointments and then looking around the moment I land (I figure I'd have to stay in hotel/motel for a night or two, but them's the breaks).

So if it ends up being a sane way to go, I'll hold on to my apps everywhere til the bitter end. I have no pride.

Well, if you're just looking for a roof over your head, then I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm moving with someone and we're both pretty set in what we're looking for in a place, so I don't want to miss out. I'm looking for more of a home than a place, if you get what I mean, as I'll be living there for at least three long and stressful (but wonderful, I'm sure) years. You're right, though, we've narrowed down the options to about half-a-dozen, and I worryingly watch them on a daily basis to make sure they're still there.

On another note, when do you think a reasonable time would be to email/call the schools to ask where I lie on the continuum of "likely reject----likely admit"? I was thinking late-June, but would love to know sooner. If I knew tomorrow that I was at the bottom of the Beryl at Queen's and Western, I'd be on a flight next week to check out places. (If I call in late-June and get a canned answer, I might become irate.)

I think you'll pretty much get a canned response if you call them sooner than late June, unless you're wholly uncompetitive, in which case you'll likely hear back in the next couple of weeks that you're not in. I spoke with Beryl last week and she said she'd be compiling the wait list and rejection list this week and then posting them shortly after (I'm assuming next week). Hopefully you'll hear back from them sometime soon, but it could be later in June.

Queen's, though, ... that's a whole other mess. I have no clue where I really stand with them (I was told my application could go either way) and I expect to hear back up until July. Initially I thought I'd hear back this week, but after reading more of the threads from last cycle, I think I'll probably get some response (by carrier pidgeon, no less) in about a month or so. It's killing me (and not softly (I missed the Lauryn Hill concert in Vancouver and I'm bitter)).

Re: the housing issue, I think I'm good with living in a decent place the first year, and then trying to find a better place for the second and third. I guess I have some weird idea that everything will work out, which, knowing my luck, won't happen. I just don't have the money to try and fly down earlier, find a place, and then fly back or mope around town til school starts.

Edited by secondtimer

You know, JusticeHopeful, I think you're right; a gal like Queen's is worth fighting for! Hmm, how to proceed, though... Flowers? No, too predictable. Love letter? Liable to get lost in the countless stacks of applications. What about a little seductive crooning? Mmyes, I could drive to Kingston and win her over with a rendition of a particularly moving ballad. Perhaps a little

? Alas, I have not the flowing locks. Oh, I know, what about
? *Sigh* I'm not sure I can hit the upper registers. What then? No clue what to do, I think I should just give up, as there is no hope. Wait a sec...was that a haiku? It was! A haiku professing my love it is, then.

We shall be as one:

lovers in jurisprudence.

Please pick Ender Queen's.

I don't know, that sounds a little too cheesy, not to mention needy. Perhaps a limerick?

There once was a man from Melmac,

whose brown fur did cover his whole back.

While muscular and fine, he'll never be mine,

as my cat he did have for a light snack.

Well, that doesn't help my case at all. This is going nowhere. What can I do, JusticeHopeful, to make Queen's pick me? Are you, by any chance, a member of the mysterious and wonderful female subgroup? If so, and if you were Queen's, what could a humble Melmacian do to win you over? Help me, JusticeHopeful--you're my only hope!

My dear Ender,

I find you ridiculously hilarious and witty - both key wooing ingredients. Perhaps Queen's needs a self-made list of a funny jokes, or a print out of all your posts on LS.ca, hand-sewn and binded, with dried rose petals at the front. Alas, I can provide no insight into the complicated mind of a woman like Queen's. I remain the forgotten child, left in the cold, whose nose is pressed against the window of a warm, toasty Admissions Office; raised on the conception that law applicants are to be seen (via application) and not heard.

I would, however, back your strongly-worded poem in favour of reforming the admissions process, particularly if it contains a haiku/limerick combination. Like secondtimer, I have little pride. I lost it somewhere between rejections from UBC, U of T, UNB and waitlisted at Osgoode, Windsor, Ottawa, Western (deferred). My dignity barely remains intact, so if you do manage to win Queen's over, please do enlighten me. The sovereign schools sits on a mighty inaccessible throne...

Edited by JusticeHopeful
  • Like 1

My dear Ender,

I find you ridiculously hilarious and witty - both key wooing ingredients.

Thanks, but you forgot impossibly handsome.

Perhaps Queen's needs a self-made list of a funny jokes, or a print out of all your posts on LS.ca, hand-sewn and binded, with dried rose petals at the front.

Already provided. No response, as per usual (and I don't use "as per" lightly).

Alas, I can provide no insight into the complicated mind of a woman like Queen's. I remain the forgotten child, left in the cold, whose nose is pressed against the window of a warm, toasty Admissions Office; raised on the conception that law applicants are to be seen (via application) and not heard.

Excellent word-picture.

Queen's, I'm going to bed now to dream of the acceptance email I'll have waiting for me in my inbox when I awaken (noon-ish). Remember that I love you, and I know you love me, despite never showing it in the slightest.

Ender, I hope I get the chance to meet you in "real life". Good grief, you are hilarious. I can no longer read your posts in a quiet library.

Edited by JusticeHopeful

First year grades are up.

I know this because I have gone from considering switching courses for second year to considering switching into clown college... UGH!

LAW JACKETS ARE COMING BACK!

Does anyone know if we have Queen's Law leather jackets like the Engineers have? I kind of want one...

Re: Jackets, ummm nope. They haven't inflitrated the law school, seems to be strictly an undergraduate thing. We do have some law clothing drives though, hoodies, cardigans, t-shirts etc...

Re: firm events. There is usually a big meet-and-greet bash for incoming students at McCarthy Tetrault in Toronto in August, once the entire class is finalized. There will also be smaller events hosted in other cities across Canada for those students not living in the GTA. As a law student, there are a number of firm sponsered events you can attend, as well as firm tours etc...

Actually, there have been Law Jackets in the past. Our jacket colour is black, like the computer students. And jackets are not just an undergrad thing. In addition to the law students having them in the past, the medical students continue to buy them. For what ever reason, it seems that the Law Faculty students just stopped purchasing them in sufficient numbers.

I'm currently in the process of reviving it and putting together an order (hopefully) for January. Advertising to go out within a month, I hope. If possible, I'm going to see about both a leather jacket option as well as the "vegan jacket" option. The main issue is just getting the right stuff and design for it. While many faculties change the symbol on the left breast of the jacket year to year, I think we might make ours the Queen's Law crest and leave it unchanged year to year. Also standard might be the Queen's Crest on the right arm, with the Queen's Law motto ("Soit, Droit, Fait") on a bar over top. I may also see what I can do about changing the colouring of the numbers/letters on the jacket from the usual gold/blue/red mix (the tricolour) to a more white and blue dominant mix to reflect the law school colours.

If you'd be interested in a jacket, or know anyone else who would be, please let me know. It'd be great to have a better sense of how many people out there want one, and if they have any input as to how the jacket should be designed I would love to hear that as well. Oh, and if you've already graduated but still want one, let me know. Changing the year on the left sleeve is not a problem.

LAW JACKETS ARE COMING BACK!

Actually, there have been Law Jackets in the past. Our jacket colour is black, like the computer students. And jackets are not just an undergrad thing. In addition to the law students having them in the past, the medical students continue to buy them. For what ever reason, it seems that the Law Faculty students just stopped purchasing them in sufficient numbers.

I'm currently in the process of reviving it and putting together an order (hopefully) for January. Advertising to go out within a month, I hope. If possible, I'm going to see about both a leather jacket option as well as the "vegan jacket" option. The main issue is just getting the right stuff and design for it. While many faculties change the symbol on the left breast of the jacket year to year, I think we might make ours the Queen's Law crest and leave it unchanged year to year. Also standard might be the Queen's Crest on the right arm, with the Queen's Law motto ("Soit, Droit, Fait") on a bar over top. I may also see what I can do about changing the colouring of the numbers/letters on the jacket from the usual gold/blue/red mix (the tricolour) to a more white and blue dominant mix to reflect the law school colours.

If you'd be interested in a jacket, or know anyone else who would be, please let me know. It'd be great to have a better sense of how many people out there want one, and if they have any input as to how the jacket should be designed I would love to hear that as well. Oh, and if you've already graduated but still want one, let me know. Changing the year on the left sleeve is not a problem.

This! Do you have a general price range? I'm into it, but the cost is definitely a consideration.

This! Do you have a general price range? I'm into it, but the cost is definitely a consideration.

Undergrad leather jackets typically run you between $270-350, depending on the faculty.

Undergrad leather jackets typically run you between $270-350, depending on the faculty.

Yeah... no dice. I'm sure there is a market for them, though!

Yeah... no dice. I'm sure there is a market for them, though!

The leather ones would be in the $300 range. But I'm also exploring the "Vegan Jacket" option (that is, jackets made from synthetic fibers and not animals... or vegans). That one would be in the $80 ish range, possibly up to $100. But that's assuming enough purchases.

I'm working on it currently, though I received a set back today. Apparently it would require too much work for the ASUS team to have the option ready by January. Frankly, my guess is I can have it ready by January so I've got the contact info and I'm going to see what I can do.

We could have something from them ready for January... but I don't think anyone would buy it. The issue is no one has updated the stuff for it, so the existing Law Crest looks kind of... not great, since both the design and the colour scheme also need to be sharper. I'm trying to see what I can do, and also what I can do about the colouring of the letters. I have a feeling it wouldn't be as big a deal as they think, and I'll be in Toronto late December so I can even go to the place in person. I wouldn't be surprised if we could fix it up so that it looks more modern in an afternoon.

My Queen's jacket is a bit older so it the design is a bit fuzzier, but the years after it look much sharper with their designs due to a change in how the process works.

Got any thoughts on dominant colours? We need a background/edging colour for the law Crest (I'm thinking white), and a colour scheme for the year number and the letters on the back... unless everyone is fine with the standard tricolour version. I just feel most law students are more attached to the law school than to Queen's itself, so I was again trying to find a more white and blue dominant colouring.

I'll try to let you know how it goes. Hopefully you'll see an email about it go out on the list serve first thing in the new term. :)