Sign in to follow this  
conge

1L Marks Feedback

Agree with having an explanation, if there is one. I would not advise making jokes about anything to do with ethical issues.

Agree completely.

I know of at least two people who got Cs in Ethical Lawyering, and are now happily working their 2L summer on Bay Street. I had a C on my transcript (not for Ethical Lawyering) and didn't get a single question about it at all.

Of course, the recruitment process is really about the individual, so it is hard to say how these individuals' other factors (the rest of their transcripts, UG transcripts, personality, extracurriculars, etc.) configured into the decision. But I am mostly just highlighting their example to show that it isn't impossible.

So how about a B Average? -------------- B, B, B- (ughh), B+, B+. B+

Not the best but not the worst.

Is there hope for OCIs? My resume beyond my grades is decent. Lots of work experience and then a few other EC's.

I have tons of law school ECs like Legal Aid and clubs like its no one's business.

Edited by Lawin10

Could be worse. Could be a B- average? Though, frankly, something tells me you can get interviews with that anyway if you cast a wide enough net. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to flashy stuff on the resume sometimes.

That goes especially for this past year. It's been HARD to get into law school lately. The competition has been skyrocketing because the job market and economy have sucked so hard people are just staying in/going back to school. There's a bigger crop of top students than normal, and your grades in law school aren't grades. It's a ranking of how you did in the class. Considering we all seem to be pretty well on the up and up, and some people have to come out on the bottom despite not actually sucking (just not being as top as others)... I don't know if grades are the only monolithic decider. I'm not saying they aren't important but it wouldn't shock me if some firms just say "fuck it."

Seriously, think about it. SOMEONE has to be at the bottom. And in law school you can still get the bottom marks despite being correct on the exams. Just other people were MORE correct than you were.

• Like 3

Could be worse. Could be a B- average? Though, frankly, something tells me you can get interviews with that anyway if you cast a wide enough net. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to flashy stuff on the resume sometimes.

That goes especially for this past year. It's been HARD to get into law school lately. The competition has been skyrocketing because the job market and economy have sucked so hard people are just staying in/going back to school. There's a bigger crop of top students than normal, and your grades in law school aren't grades. It's a ranking of how you did in the class. Considering we all seem to be pretty well on the up and up, and some people have to come out on the bottom despite not actually sucking (just not being as top as others)... I don't know if grades are the only monolithic decider. I'm not saying they aren't important but it wouldn't shock me if some firms just say "fuck it."

Seriously, think about it. SOMEONE has to be at the bottom. And in law school you can still get the bottom marks despite being correct on the exams. Just other people were MORE correct than you were.

Awesome post!

Considering we all seem to be pretty well on the up and up, and some people have to come out on the bottom despite not actually sucking (just not being as top as others)... I don't know if grades are the only monolithic decider. I'm not saying they aren't important but it wouldn't shock me if some firms just say "fuck it."

The system makes perfect sense since most answers are not either correct or incorrect. The curve works because there are different standards of correctness. Your answer may be correct; but the metric isn't accuracy. While one could argue (and rightly so) that firms place too much emphasis on grades, the grading system itself is exactly what it should be.

So how about a B Average? -------------- B, B, B- (ughh), B+, B+. B+

Not the best but not the worst.

Is there hope for OCIs? My resume beyond my grades is decent. Lots of work experience and then a few other EC's.

I have tons of law school ECs like Legal Aid and clubs like its no one's business.

Those marks aren't bad, they're average or slightly above. I had very similar grades after my first year and I did well at OCIs. However, as I believe Pyke or Erin pointed out to me at the time, this means you'll have to distinguish yourself at interviews.

Hey guys, first time poster.

Looking for some feedback re. my 1L marks. I would ideally like to work in Ottawa after 2L (with Toronto or Halifax being close 2nd choices). How do you think things are looking with these marks?

3 B+'s (crim., public law, and research), 2 B's (torts and prop.), and 1 B- (contracts).

I hate the look of the B-, especially in contracts.

Conge

PS - If an admin. or any regular poster is reading this, great website!

Underwhelming but not bad. For Toronto, you will want a B+ average at a minumum in order to get your foot in the door for OCIs. Halifax might be a bit lower, but the firms there are looking for a connection to the region. I have no idea about Ottawa. In other words, turn one or two of those B+ marks into an A- and pull torts, property, and contracts up to a B+ and you will be fine for 2L OCIs. BTW, torts, property and contracts are the three courses that Bay Street firms look closely at, so it is worth your time to understand why you performed the way you did on those exams and take the necessary steps to perform better on the final.

Underwhelming but not bad. For Toronto, you will want a B+ average at a minumum in order to get your foot in the door for OCIs. Halifax might be a bit lower, but the firms there are looking for a connection to the region. I have no idea about Ottawa. In other words, turn one or two of those B+ marks into an A- and pull torts, property, and contracts up to a B+ and you will be fine for 2L OCIs. BTW, torts, property and contracts are the three courses that Bay Street firms look closely at, so it is worth your time to understand why you performed the way you did on those exams and take the necessary steps to perform better on the final.

Hey Sauce, thanks for the info, but that was my first post ever (summer after 1L)! I've gone through OCIs with those marks and did well, had two offers from firms I was very interested in.

So, everyone with similar marks, you are employable with your marks! However, be well prepared for the interivew/dinner/reception stage, you're not going to stand out on your marks alone!

Help!

I got my first year marks ... I am above average but got a C+ in criminal law. I am applying broadly, including OCI's. I have zero interest in criminal law and have a business background before coming to law school. I know this will put me in the NO pile at some firms, despite having a decent resume and being probably in the top third of my class.

Thoughts? Is it worth trying to appeal the grade? Does anyone have any experience in this?

Help!

I got my first year marks ... I am above average but got a C+ in criminal law. I am applying broadly, including OCI's. I have zero interest in criminal law and have a business background before coming to law school. I know this will put me in the NO pile at some firms, despite having a decent resume and being probably in the top third of my class.

Thoughts? Is it worth trying to appeal the grade? Does anyone have any experience in this?

If your other marks are above average, I think you'll do ok even with the C+. Don't bother appealing unless you've looked at your exam and believe there is a legitimate mistake. Law school profs don't take kindly to grade grubbing.

I know people who got big law jobs with a C+ on their transcripts. It's in Crim? I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're not looking to pursue that as a career direction.

Thanks for the reassurance!!! I got an A- in contracts, A- in constitution and B+ in property ...

Happy that I did well in property and contracts considering I want to go into corporate/commercial law

Hi everyone, first time poster. I just finished 1L at U of T and am a bit anxious about my likelihood of getting OCIs with these marks. Thanks for any feedback:

1. LPPE: B

2. Contracts: B

3. Crim: B

4. Admin: B+

5. Const.: B+

6. Property: B+

7. Torts: B

Thank you!

Hi everyone, first time poster. I just finished 1L at U of T and am a bit anxious about my likelihood of getting OCIs with these marks. Thanks for any feedback:

1. LPPE: B

2. Contracts: B

3. Crim: B

4. Admin: B+

5. Const.: B+

6. Property: B+

7. Torts: B

Thank you!

I imagine you'll do fine. Your marks seem slightly above average. Large firms won't be falling over themselves to get an interview with you, but you'll get OCIs.

Not to worry. This thread was somehow necromanced long before you posted.

Jumping on here for some feedback... 1L marks are as follow:

B, B, B, B, B, C+

Jumping on here for some feedback... 1L marks are as follow:

B, B, B, B, B, C+

OCI opportunities for you will be slim; in the 0-2 range. In all honesty I doubt you'll get any, but you never know. I'd regroup, learn what I did wrong, and try and improve 1st semester of 2L. Other non-OCI firms will be posting summer 2L jobs throughout the winter term.

Edited by ray_ely
  • Like 1