guy21

Suits For Men

Are two suits with backup pants for each enough for articling?

Or better to go with three suits and no back up pants?

Should I bite the bullet and have 5 dress shirts?

Trying to budget out my spring...

On the topic of dress shirts, how much does their quality matter? Is buying one in the $50-100 range typical? It feels so unimportant compared to having a nice suit.

19 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

On the topic of dress shirts, how much does their quality matter? Is buying one in the $50-100 range typical? It feels so unimportant compared to having a nice suit.

It hugs your skin. It's very important. Especially on hotter days.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chaboywb said:

You can get nice dress shirts in that range. Particularly if you have time and can wait until sales (Bay Days in particular). 

Any made to measure shirt recommendations? Neither Indochinno nor Spier and McKay seems to fit right. Looking for something around $100 per shirt. 

On 10/12/2019 at 10:35 PM, Aton said:

Any made to measure shirt recommendations? Neither Indochinno nor Spier and McKay seems to fit right. Looking for something around $100 per shirt. 

I’ve had success with Surmesur.

Generally people do not recommend Moores though, but it's really up to you.

The quality of their stuff is below satisfactory.

If you are going for an interview then must go with Harry Rosen.

You will get your suit easily in cost you have described .

On 10/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

If you're prone to busting pants, I vote 2, charcoal and navy. If you're not, I lean 3 suits, add in a medium grey or something. 

On 10/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, pzabbythesecond said:

What is the firm culture? At most big firms two suits with business casual options is more than enough. If you are doing criminal/family law then you might want three-four suits as it might be simpler to just always wear a suit during the week. 

Personally I worked at a firm that let you wear anything and I mostly just wore dark wash jeans and a sweater. 

1 minute ago, Mal said:

What is the firm culture? At most big firms two suits with business casual options is more than enough. If you are doing criminal/family law then you might want three-four suits as it might be simpler to just always wear a suit during the week. 

Personally I worked at a firm that let you wear anything and I mostly just wore dark wash jeans and a sweater. 

Business formal during the week, but business casual fridays - barring court appearances of course.

I personally like wearing a suit, and prefer it to business casual since it's not that much harder to wear than business casual. I'm just not in a place to afford more than two decent suits.. 

If I must though, I'll skip lunch for a month :)

1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Business formal during the week, but business casual fridays - barring court appearances of course.

I personally like wearing a suit, and prefer it to business casual since it's not that much harder to wear than business casual. I'm just not in a place to afford more than two decent suits.. 

If I must though, I'll skip lunch for a month :)

I got by with two suits, along with many different shirts and ties, through articles. And I wore a suit every single day. 

The suits were threadbare by the end of articles, but I made it through and I was prepared for anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Is there any place in Toronto that has a wide selection of Allen Edmonds? I want to get my size checked before ordering online. I have wide feet, so it's difficult for me to find my size. I want to be 100% sure I have the correct size before investing in a pair of those shoes.

Edited by georgecostanzajr

20 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Is there any place in Toronto that has a wide selection of Allen Edmonds? I want to get my size checked before ordering online. I have wide feet, so it's difficult for me to find my size. I want to be 100% sure I have the correct size before investing in a pair of those shoes

How very George Costanza of you :)

19 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Haha yes, well I'd prefer not to spend $600 on shoes that don't fit.

If you have that kind of budget, I would just buy Loding or an English shoe at Woolridge.

Also, I think the answer to your question is no. Last time I checked Nordstrom in-store just had a few different sizes but just in D width.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Haha yes, well I'd prefer not to spend $600 on shoes that don't fit.

Canadian stores such as HR tend to only stock one width in my experience. Similar to denim, where you’ll only find a 34 length, even though other inseam lengths are widely available in the US. 

I wouldn’t pay full-price for Allen Edmonds. Honestly, the quality (and design) just is not worth it, and you can find them fairly easily for 2 or 3 hundred at the Rack, etc. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

52 minutes ago, baklava said:

If you have that kind of budget, I would just buy Loding or an English shoe at Woolridge.

Also, I think the answer to your question is no. Last time I checked Nordstrom in-store just had a few different sizes but just in D width.

I'd prefer to spend less, but I haven't seen any discounts in my size. All the discounts I saw had standard sizes (e.g. 8, 10, etc.) in D width, and I need (probably) a 7.5 in XW. What attracts me to AE is that they have plenty of sizes, so it would be easy for me to find the perfect fit. Honestly, I would rather spend an extra $200 and not have to stress running all over Toronto trying to find a discounted pair in my size.

42 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

I wouldn’t pay full-price for Allen Edmonds. Honestly, the quality (and design) just is not worth it, and you can find them fairly easily for 2 or 3 hundred at the Rack, etc. 

Does the Rack have shoes in any widths other than D width? Last I checked they only had a few options. Also, do you know the other stores that tend to have discounts on AEs? Thanks.

22 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I'd prefer to spend less, but I haven't seen any discounts in my size. All the discounts I saw had standard sizes (e.g. 8, 10, etc.) in D width, and I need (probably) a 7.5 in XW. What attracts me to AE is that they have plenty of sizes, so it would be easy for me to find the perfect fit. Honestly, I would rather spend an extra $200 and not have to stress running all over Toronto trying to find a discounted pair in my size.

Does the Rack have shoes in any widths other than D width? Last I checked they only had a few options. Also, do you know the other stores that tend to have discounts on AEs? Thanks.

I think most think Loding are higher quality than AE, or at least the same level. The kinds of brands Woolridge carries are all or almost all definitely higher quality than AE. Tricker's, Cheaney, etc.

Last time I checked Loding had some EEE sizes. If you're very certain you need wide shoes I'd bet you are close enough to EEE. I don't know if Woolridge keeps them in stock but i would just call him to see. He is an artisan/aficianado sort and I'm sure could order them for you. The stores are pretty close together, both are downtown. First Canadian and Commerce Court or something like that, going off memory here. 

Other than the Rack, it's really eBay, AE's own website or shoebank (for seconds), or a thrift store. Or get fitted at an AE store in the states. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Just take a road trip to the closest AE store in the States and buy a few pairs then, I guess. 

We have one in Seattle, pretty great service there.

• Like 2