Jump to content
guy21

Suits For Men

Recommended Posts

Are two suits with backup pants for each enough for articling?

Or better to go with three suits and no back up pants?

Should I bite the bullet and have 5 dress shirts?

Trying to budget out my spring...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of dress shirts, how much does their quality matter? Is buying one in the $50-100 range typical? It feels so unimportant compared to having a nice suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

On the topic of dress shirts, how much does their quality matter? Is buying one in the $50-100 range typical? It feels so unimportant compared to having a nice suit.

It hugs your skin. It's very important. Especially on hotter days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chaboywb said:

On the topic of dress shirts, how much does their quality matter? Is buying one in the $50-100 range typical? It feels so unimportant compared to having a nice suit.

You can get nice dress shirts in that range. Particularly if you have time and can wait until sales (Bay Days in particular). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any made to measure shirt recommendations? Neither Indochinno nor Spier and McKay seems to fit right. Looking for something around $100 per shirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 10:35 PM, Aton said:

Any made to measure shirt recommendations? Neither Indochinno nor Spier and McKay seems to fit right. Looking for something around $100 per shirt. 

I’ve had success with Surmesur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally people do not recommend Moores though, but it's really up to you.

The quality of their stuff is below satisfactory.

If you are going for an interview then must go with Harry Rosen.

You will get your suit easily in cost you have described .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

Are two suits with backup pants for each enough for articling?

Or better to go with three suits and no back up pants?

Should I bite the bullet and have 5 dress shirts?

Trying to budget out my spring...

If you're prone to busting pants, I vote 2, charcoal and navy. If you're not, I lean 3 suits, add in a medium grey or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, pzabbythesecond said:

Are two suits with backup pants for each enough for articling?

Or better to go with three suits and no back up pants?

Should I bite the bullet and have 5 dress shirts?

Trying to budget out my spring...

What is the firm culture? At most big firms two suits with business casual options is more than enough. If you are doing criminal/family law then you might want three-four suits as it might be simpler to just always wear a suit during the week. 

Personally I worked at a firm that let you wear anything and I mostly just wore dark wash jeans and a sweater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mal said:

What is the firm culture? At most big firms two suits with business casual options is more than enough. If you are doing criminal/family law then you might want three-four suits as it might be simpler to just always wear a suit during the week. 

Personally I worked at a firm that let you wear anything and I mostly just wore dark wash jeans and a sweater. 

Business formal during the week, but business casual fridays - barring court appearances of course.

I personally like wearing a suit, and prefer it to business casual since it's not that much harder to wear than business casual. I'm just not in a place to afford more than two decent suits.. 

If I must though, I'll skip lunch for a month :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Business formal during the week, but business casual fridays - barring court appearances of course.

I personally like wearing a suit, and prefer it to business casual since it's not that much harder to wear than business casual. I'm just not in a place to afford more than two decent suits.. 

If I must though, I'll skip lunch for a month :)

I got by with two suits, along with many different shirts and ties, through articles. And I wore a suit every single day. 

The suits were threadbare by the end of articles, but I made it through and I was prepared for anything. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is there any place in Toronto that has a wide selection of Allen Edmonds? I want to get my size checked before ordering online. I have wide feet, so it's difficult for me to find my size. I want to be 100% sure I have the correct size before investing in a pair of those shoes.

Edited by georgecostanzajr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Is there any place in Toronto that has a wide selection of Allen Edmonds? I want to get my size checked before ordering online. I have wide feet, so it's difficult for me to find my size. I want to be 100% sure I have the correct size before investing in a pair of those shoes

How very George Costanza of you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Haha yes, well I'd prefer not to spend $600 on shoes that don't fit.

If you have that kind of budget, I would just buy Loding or an English shoe at Woolridge.

Also, I think the answer to your question is no. Last time I checked Nordstrom in-store just had a few different sizes but just in D width.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Haha yes, well I'd prefer not to spend $600 on shoes that don't fit.

Canadian stores such as HR tend to only stock one width in my experience. Similar to denim, where you’ll only find a 34 length, even though other inseam lengths are widely available in the US. 
 

I wouldn’t pay full-price for Allen Edmonds. Honestly, the quality (and design) just is not worth it, and you can find them fairly easily for 2 or 3 hundred at the Rack, etc. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, baklava said:

If you have that kind of budget, I would just buy Loding or an English shoe at Woolridge.

Also, I think the answer to your question is no. Last time I checked Nordstrom in-store just had a few different sizes but just in D width.

I'd prefer to spend less, but I haven't seen any discounts in my size. All the discounts I saw had standard sizes (e.g. 8, 10, etc.) in D width, and I need (probably) a 7.5 in XW. What attracts me to AE is that they have plenty of sizes, so it would be easy for me to find the perfect fit. Honestly, I would rather spend an extra $200 and not have to stress running all over Toronto trying to find a discounted pair in my size.

 

42 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

I wouldn’t pay full-price for Allen Edmonds. Honestly, the quality (and design) just is not worth it, and you can find them fairly easily for 2 or 3 hundred at the Rack, etc. 

Does the Rack have shoes in any widths other than D width? Last I checked they only had a few options. Also, do you know the other stores that tend to have discounts on AEs? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I'd prefer to spend less, but I haven't seen any discounts in my size. All the discounts I saw had standard sizes (e.g. 8, 10, etc.) in D width, and I need (probably) a 7.5 in XW. What attracts me to AE is that they have plenty of sizes, so it would be easy for me to find the perfect fit. Honestly, I would rather spend an extra $200 and not have to stress running all over Toronto trying to find a discounted pair in my size.

 

Does the Rack have shoes in any widths other than D width? Last I checked they only had a few options. Also, do you know the other stores that tend to have discounts on AEs? Thanks.

I think most think Loding are higher quality than AE, or at least the same level. The kinds of brands Woolridge carries are all or almost all definitely higher quality than AE. Tricker's, Cheaney, etc.

Last time I checked Loding had some EEE sizes. If you're very certain you need wide shoes I'd bet you are close enough to EEE. I don't know if Woolridge keeps them in stock but i would just call him to see. He is an artisan/aficianado sort and I'm sure could order them for you. The stores are pretty close together, both are downtown. First Canadian and Commerce Court or something like that, going off memory here. 

Other than the Rack, it's really eBay, AE's own website or shoebank (for seconds), or a thrift store. Or get fitted at an AE store in the states. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I'd prefer to spend less, but I haven't seen any discounts in my size. All the discounts I saw had standard sizes (e.g. 8, 10, etc.) in D width, and I need (probably) a 7.5 in XW. What attracts me to AE is that they have plenty of sizes, so it would be easy for me to find the perfect fit. Honestly, I would rather spend an extra $200 and not have to stress running all over Toronto trying to find a discounted pair in my size.

 

Does the Rack have shoes in any widths other than D width? Last I checked they only had a few options. Also, do you know the other stores that tend to have discounts on AEs? Thanks.

Just take a road trip to the closest AE store in the States and buy a few pairs then, I guess. 

We have one in Seattle, pretty great service there.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • "cGPA: 3.29 L2: 3.5 LSAT: 159 (2 writes)" @strugglingSFUgal In your shoes I would accept at UofC now. Based on your profile, even with some improvements admission at UVic is far from guaranteed next year (as you yourself acknowledge).
    • what are your stats? 
    • Hi Everyone! I am in my 5th year of uni and I've been accepted to U of C for 2020 and honestly, given my stats, I wasn't expecting any acceptances (especially this early) and had already started studying for my LSAT again to be more competitive for next cycle. I am super excited about this acceptance, but I'm a little stuck on what to doooo. My ultimate goal is UVic, but I didn't apply this cycle as my stats weren't competitive. However, if I was to apply next year, with the increase in credit drops after this semester, my GPA would be competitive and I would just have to work at getting a couple points higher on the LSAT (obviously, working to get a higher LSAT is never a guarantee). As a BC resident, I'd eventually like to make my way back here, although I'm okay living somewhere else for a couple years before that. My question is, do you think I should take the acceptance with U of C and say bye-bye to the LSAT, or should I decline U of C, try for a higher LSAT, and gun for UVic?  Any advice is appreciated  
    • I submitted the day of the deadline (Jan 15th) and got accepted today, so just over a month later. So to answer your question, no - it doesn't seem that they go by order submitted. I know some other strong applicants who have not heard back having applied earlier. 
    • I got in very quickly with a lower GPA, mine was 3.37. However, I did have a somewhat high LSAT at 170.

×
×
  • Create New...