guy21

Suits For Men

Are French cuffs considered too much for law students/junior lawyers? Or is it more of a personal preference thing? 

3 hours ago, Johnappleseed said:

Are French cuffs considered too much for law students/junior lawyers? Or is it more of a personal preference thing? 

It's arguably personal preference, but the clearly correct answer is they should not be worn outside formal dress. 

Realistically don't be "French cuff guy" and it shouldn't be an issue. Try not to wear them on more casual shirts and don't wear them without a tie (again, personal preferences).

I'm looking to purchase a pair of dress shoes to go with my suit. I am completely new to this whole thing, so I searched around the web a bit, and it seems I should go with a pair of oxfords or derbies. I am very much drawn to the style of derbies over oxfords, but from what I've gathered oxfords are a more formal option? Since this will be my first pair, and likely my only one throughout law school, would it be better to start with oxfords? Or does it not matter at all to lawyers, and I should just follow my preference? Either way I am set on buying a simple black pair that I can wear with my charcoal suit (any suggestions welcome). The kind of shoes one wears is probably not a big deal, but I just want to get as much information as I can before making any purchase. Apologies if this has been asked already. 

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, magicmtn said:

I'm looking to purchase a pair of dress shoes to go with my suit. I am completely new to this whole thing, so I searched around the web a bit, and it seems I should go with a pair of oxfords or derbies. I am very much drawn to the style of derbies over oxfords, but from what I've gathered oxfords are a more formal option? Since this will be my first pair, and likely my only one throughout law school, would it be better to start with oxfords? Or does it not matter at all to lawyers, and I should just follow my preference? Either way I am set on buying a simple black pair that I can wear with my charcoal suit (any suggestions welcome). The kind of shoes one wears is probably not a big deal, but I just want to get as much information as I can before making any purchase. Apologies if this has been asked already. 

Thank you!

Black captoe oxfords will always be appropriate. If you're in Toronto, buy something from Loding or Woolridge in the PATH that you can take care of and resole later. Should set you back $500 all in. Johnston and Murphy's Melton captoe is a fine budget option.

Kudos to you for thinking to buy a pair of black shoes first. I'm seeing a lot of tan shoes with dark suits in this year's summer student photos. It's a bad look.

• Like 2

I doubt more than 5% of lawyers know the difference between a derby and an oxford. The important thing is that the shoe be properly shaped (not square toed) and either dark brown or black.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Anyone in Newfoundland have any recommendations? Things around here seem pretty dismal

Edited by Newfoundlaw
typo

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Is one suit enough for the 2L recruit?

Yea.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, harveyspecter993 said:

Is one suit enough for the 2L recruit?

On 7/1/2019 at 8:10 PM, Mal said:

Yea.

I agree. Just change the tie. Shirt you could change, or not. I might've worn a white shirt every day of recruiting, or maybe some light blues, I can't remember at all. And I'm sure the recruiters wouldn't have noticed, because I just wore solid white/light blue shirts. 

Do stick to a solid charcoal or navy suit. Some texture is fine, but nothing like a windowpane or something. 

Edited by baklava
  • Like 1

Starting 1L in September. I already own a grey suit but I'm a bit unsure how this would stand out at business formal events. Based on this I'm thinking about getting another one in either navy or charcoal, but is a nice grey versatile enough to work into a rotation when it comes to networking events or other events that require business formal dress?

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, savvytoo said:

Starting 1L in September. I already own a grey suit but I'm a bit unsure how this would stand out at business formal events. Based on this I'm thinking about getting another one in either navy or charcoal, but is a nice grey versatile enough to work into a rotation when it comes to networking events or other events that require business formal dress?

You don't really want your suit to be the standout item of your outfit at law school type business formal event. Your suit should stand out because its a nice suit. Then again, of my suits, the one that gets the most compliments is a cheap, subtle Glen-check charcoal. And there's no shortage of men wearing expensive suits over-top and in combination with blah shirts and accessories. The point is this: you don't need to buy a second suit if the sole issue is that the one you have is grey. Greay is Great. Buy a new suit only if you need a second suit (and in law school, you don't.)

Instead, if you want to stand out, focus on how you style your grey suit. Get some nice and fitted dress shirts and interesting (not flashy) ties at a fraction of the cost of a new suit. Even better, ties are basically free if you live somewhere with well-curated thrift stores. I haven't bought a new ties in ages. Keep your suit fresh and clean, and just rotate in your new shirt and tie combinations.

Edited by FineCanadianFXs

2 minutes ago, FineCanadianFXs said:

You don't really want your suit to be the standout item of your outfit at law school type business formal event. Your suit should stand out because its a nice suit. Then again, of my suits, the one that gets the most compliments is a cheap, subtle Glen-check charcoal. There's no shortage of men wearing expensive suits over-top and in combination with blah shirts and accessories. The point is this: you don't need to buy a second suit if the sole issue is that the one you have is grey. Greay is Great.  

Instead, if you want to stand out, focus on how you style your grey suit. Get some nice and fitted dress shirts and interesting (not flashy) ties at a fraction of the cost of a new suit. Even better, ties are basically free if you live somewhere with well-curated thrift stores. I haven't bought a new ties in ages. Keep your suit fresh and clean, and just rotate in your new shirt and tie combinations.

Thanks for the input! Just wanted to see whether or not grey was a suitable colour for business formal events or if it's not formal enough. 

38 minutes ago, savvytoo said:

Thanks for the input! Just wanted to see whether or not grey was a suitable colour for business formal events or if it's not formal enough. 

50 minutes ago, FineCanadianFXs said:

...Greay is Great...

• Thanks 1

This may have been already answered, I apologize in advance. 

I'm going into 1L and was wondering, how many suits is enough? I currently have one and just change my dress shirt and tie for every event. How many would you recommend? Should I also invest in a few sport coats/blazers?

I've done 3 years of law school and 3 summers of legal work, and gotten by with one suit. It can be tough for the summers but even then it's doable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I've done 3 years of law school and 3 summers of legal work, and gotten by with one suit. It can be tough for the summers but even then it's doable.

That eases some nerves. I was thinking I'd have to rotate between them. Thank you!

3 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I would say that this would only work if you're not working in a law firm environment. If you get a law firm job, you'll need at least two perferably three suits.

24 minutes ago, LuckyCommander said:

That eases some nerves. I was thinking I'd have to rotate between them. Thank you!

1 minute ago, teg4455 said:

I would say that this would only work if you're not working in a law firm environment. If you get a law firm job, you'll need at least two perferably three suits.

Well. I've worked in three different law firm environments. You definitely don't need 3.

2 suits is ideal. One can be manageable (albeit difficult to pull off, and depends on the office).