guy21

Suits For Men

3 minutes ago, Johnappleseed said:

single or double Windsor? 

I think it’s just called the “Windsor” (or, unfortunately, the “full Windsor” if you really must be explicit because people don’t know their Windsor knots 😉). The “single Windsor” is called the half Windsor.

I prefer the Windsor to the half because I like its symmetry and I think it just generally looks better. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Johnappleseed said:

Vest or no vest?

Whatever you want and looks good with the outfit overall.

30 minutes ago, Johnappleseed said:

french cuffs or regular?

Whatever you want and looks good with the outfit overall.

31 minutes ago, Johnappleseed said:

Whatever you want and looks good with the outfit overall. Some ties look weird with certain knots and you don't really have a choice one way or the other. There are a number of other knots, btw, it isn't a two knot world.

Not sure what there is to debate

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Johnappleseed said:

Vest or no vest?

french cuffs or regular?

Hope this becomes a fun debate

I wore a vest on some days.

Regular

Half Windsor. Full Windsor seemed a little too much. But I noticed a lot of partner tied a four in a hand knot as well. 

Edited by GoldmanSachs

1 hour ago, Johnappleseed said:

Vest or no vest?

french cuffs or regular?

I very rarely wear suits unless going to court (small claims; I only practice law part-time and haven't done anything requiring gowning in years). My inclination is to be as casual as permissible. With that disclaimer out of the way, probably everyone else in this thread wears and owns more and better suits:

1. No vest unless you want to be more formal (e.g. I prefer a vest to a cummerbund with a tuxedo, and I've never been to an event requiring or expecting greater formality than a tuxedo, even if some attendees did dress more formally);

2. As with so many things, it depends. I like French cuffs with a suit and find them more comfortable/roomy as well as giving a chance to wear cufflinks. But if one is wearing a sweater over your shirt rather than a jacket, French cuffs are weird and uncomfortable at best. Also, if you typically wear French cuffs your suit sleeve length should be slightly shorter;

3. Like @Ryn I prefer the full Windsor, I never find the half Windsor particularly symmetrical and don't think I ever use it. However, that's for situations in which the full Windsor is a good look, e.g. a spread collar. With some collars (either narrower or tab collars that push the knot forward as well as being a narrow collar) a four-in-hand knot looks better.

Two questions you didn't ask, monogram or not, and breast pocket or not? I lean no and yes, though I do have a few mongrammed shirts.

Not looking right now, but does anyone have any recommendations for black / silver watches? I'm looking in the cheaper category (<$500 is likely my max, but would prefer it to be a bit lower). I have a brown / gold watch already and love it, but I would like to add a simple black / silver (or perhaps silver with metal band?) watch for next summer.

I bought a made in Japan Seiko for that price range that I like (I think shipped it was about $550 Canadian).

• Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 11:46 AM, BlockedQuebecois said:

Not looking right now, but does anyone have any recommendations for black / silver watches? I'm looking in the cheaper category (<$500 is likely my max, but would prefer it to be a bit lower). I have a brown / gold watch already and love it, but I would like to add a simple black / silver (or perhaps silver with metal band?) watch for next summer.

You can get a Tissot or a nice Swatch in that price range

On 12/6/2018 at 11:28 AM, Johnappleseed said:

Vest or no vest?

french cuffs or regular?

On occasion...great way to mix things up

See above

Windsor...always

Sport or Dress watch? If sport Seiko Automatics can be had at that or less and offer phenomenal value. You could also go vintage brand name. 

Edited by whoknows

On 12/6/2018 at 9:28 AM, Johnappleseed said:

Four-in-hand.

In most circumstances (collar spread, tie space, fabric) a Windsor knot is boring--like you've just learned to tie a tie. The asymmetry of a four-in-hand tends to look like a conscious choice--like you've actually chosen each element of your wardrobe, right down to the knot. The four-in-hand also better supports a sprezzatura look. A businessman may use a Windsor: but a gentleman will use a four-in-hand.

I tend to use a double four-in-hand--a look I shamelessly borrowed from Roger on Mad Men. I forget the episode, but he's getting dressed and flips his tie around twice before knotting. I found it roguish.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I always recommend Allen Edmonds if you take the time, you can find them being sold from a lot of online retailers for cheap.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:28 AM, Johnappleseed said:

Vest or no vest?

french cuffs or regular?

I like to mix it up. Some days three piece some days two. Pocket square is also a nice touch. I think the trick is you don’t want to over do it, but you want to project confidence and look good. Nobody wants the lawyer in rags. 

On 12/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, whoknows said:

Sport or Dress watch? If sport Seiko Automatics can be had at that or less and offer phenomenal value. You could also go vintage brand name. 

I’d stick with a Seiko or Tissot. They’re good brands and can be more on the affordable side but they’re not “cheap.” If you can stretch your budget, you can grab a Raymond Weil (quartz) for under $1000 which is more high end. Mind you their really nice stufd can go for a couple thousand. 

6 hours ago, Mycousinsteve said:

I’d stick with a Seiko or Tissot. They’re good brands and can be more on the affordable side but they’re not “cheap.” If you can stretch your budget, you can grab a Raymond Weil (quartz) for under $1000 which is more high end. Mind you their really nice stufd can go for a couple thousand. 

There are about 100 watches I'm buying for $1000 before a Weil Quartz. For value under 500 , Hamilton, Seiko, Orient, all offer great choices. I'm also never shying from vintage Omega at that price point. 

4 minutes ago, whoknows said:

There are about 100 watches I'm buying for $1000 before a Weil Quartz. For value under 500 , Hamilton, Seiko, Orient, all offer great choices. I'm also never shying from vintage Omega at that price point. 

Hamilton’s a good call. I’ve had a really nice automatic Weil for quite a while now. Really good quality Swiss product I’m very happy. Checked out some quartz watches of theirs, it’s not the same but if you’re looking to get into a good quality Swiss watch on a budget you can’t go wrong. Can’t speak for second hand Omegas. 

Fossil makes some nice ones

Please, please, please do not go Fossil. I own one myself but they are a pure fashion watch where the name on the dial is adding tonnes of cash on top of what the watch itself is worth and they have some significant QC issues. At that price go Casio or Timex. 

• Like 1