cranberry

Calling all Aboriginal Applicants/Students

On 2/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, Jasper said:

For reference letters, the website states to include two. Then, the PDF asks for three. Which is it? For transcripts, the website says unofficial copies will suffice, but the PDF asks for official transcripts to be directly sent. Again, which is it? I know I could call and ask, but I have already called several times before for other questions and don't want to bother them anymore. 

A bit of a late reply to your comments, but I sent them an email asking these very questions! Here was the thread:

Dear Sir or Madam, 

I am in the process of applying to the 2019 NLC Summer program. There are some discrepancies between the application form itself and the information listed on the NLC website. On the website, it says unofficial transcripts are acceptable and only one academic reference is required, but the application form includes official transcripts and two academic references as part of the checklist. Which set of requirements is more up to date? 

If two academic references are indeed required, would I be allowed to substitute a professional reference for one of them? I have been out of school for a number of years, so the professional reference feels more relevant to me at this point. I only used one academic reference to apply to law school, so to find a second one I would have to reach out to another professor who has not been a part of my application process so far. 

Finally, what format should I use to upload my LSAT score? Should I take a screenshot of my score as it is listed on the LSAC website? If you have my LSAC test taker number, will you be able to access my official LSAT score like the law schools I applied to were? 

Any clarification you could give me would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards, 

loopholethereitis

Good morning loopholethereitis,

We will accept two references, and it will be acceptable if one is a professional reference. A Screenshot of your LSAT score will suffice, or forwarded the email you received with your LSAT score.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete and includes the following:

• Submission of online application form
  • Copy of notification of acceptance to law school (you can forward us a copy of the email you received from the Law School)
  • Current résumé
  • Copy of your LSAT score (you can forward us a copy of the email you received from LSAC)
  • University transcripts (unofficial copies will suffice)
  • Personal statement describing the degree to which you identify with and are connected to an Indigenous community (the purpose of this statement is to help us understand your connection to Indigenous culture and community and/or how colonization has impacted on you as an Indigenous person)
  • Evidence of acceptance by an Indigenous community 
  • One academic letter of reference 
  • One community letter of reference which fully describes your connection(s) to the Indigenous community

All of the above are required for us to consider your application for admission to the NLC Summer Program. Anything pertaining to your application can be sent through email to [email protected]. To secure your seat, please arrange to have your application package completed as soon as possible.

Hope that answers your questions!

• Thanks 1

In at uVic's JD/JID program. Got the call this morning! Tough choice between that and U of Alberta now. Already declined UBC

• Like 2

Accepted at USask this morning!! Conditional upon completing the summer program which is totally fair considering my horrible LSAT. 

B2: 82%

Jan ‘19 LSAT: 148

Born & raised in Northern SK, currently completing third year of undergrad @ USask

Tailored PS to my connection with my Indigenous community, threw in Cree greetings, tons of volunteer & extra curriculars mentioned 

Strong recommendation letters from first nations band post-secondary coordinator and from a strong community mentor 

Hope to see some of you at the summer program!! :) 

• Like 3

I'm planning on attending the summer program but have no idea where to stay. Has anyone else confirmed where they will be staying? Are you considering residence? I have never been to Saskatchewan and I really don't what is best.

9 hours ago, AlyssiaFlorick said:

I'm planning on attending the summer program but have no idea where to stay. Has anyone else confirmed where they will be staying? Are you considering residence? I have never been to Saskatchewan and I really don't what is best.

I posted a picture of myself on Kijiji (really lame I know) stating that I would be coming to Saskatoon for a law program and that I needed some sort of accommodations for 2 months and I actually received an overwhelming amount of responses with numerous options. I actually had a difficult time choosing between the many options.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AlyssiaFlorick said:

Check out https://admissions.usask.ca/campus-life/housing.php#About and if you don't want to stay on campus, scroll down to the housing registry which compiles a list of places that are looking for students specifically! 

Does anyone know if there is a group on facebook for the students attending the NLC program this summer? 

Thanks very much for your help Jasper. I will create a post on Kijjiji too. Can I ask how much  your rent and how far you are from campus? I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone else!

21 minutes ago, AlyssiaFlorick said:

Thanks very much for your help Jasper. I will create a post on Kijjiji too. Can I ask how much  your rent and how far you are from campus? I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone else!

For sure! Kijijis great too & I found a basement suite for 650$ a month its really close to campus about a 10 minute drive. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone as well too 😁

Hi all, I attended the summer program last year. This year I will be working in Regina but my house will be available. Its a sweet place and took me 15 minutes to bike in the AM.

If anyone is interested, give me a shout!

Upstairs: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1429259809
Downstairs: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1429265122&posted=true&adActivated=true

PS: the summer program is hard as nails but you will be fine and whatever you do... listen to Deb.

Good Morning all, 

Just wanted to provide an update to all of you. I received a conditional offer of admission to Osgoode Hall Law School, with the Native Law Centre Summer Program being the conditional requirement. They sent me the offer after the program had started, and I could not make it to Saskatoon in time before the first assignment was due. My deferral of admission for Fall 2020 was approved, so I will be attending my dream school in Fall 2020, after completing the summer program. This means a spot at the University of Ottawa will be opening up, for someone else, and maybe one of you.

Best wishes to the rest of you with this cycle and the next, this has been a pleasure sharing our situations and experiences. 

Edited by Lawsstudent2019

On 5/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, Lawsstudent2019 said:

Good Morning all, 

Just wanted to provide an update to all of you. I received a conditional offer of admission to Osgoode Hall Law School, with the Native Law Centre Summer Program being the conditional requirement. They sent me the offer after the program had started, and I could not make it to Saskatoon in time before the first assignment was due. My deferral of admission for Fall 2020 was approved, so I will be attending my dream school in Fall 2020, after completing the summer program. This means a spot at the University of Ottawa will be opening up, for someone else, and maybe one of you.

Best wishes to the rest of you with this cycle and the next, this has been a pleasure sharing our situations and experiences. 

What were your stats.

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions. I'm currently finishing up my undergrad and I am considering applying to law school in the future. I have started studying for the LSAT (literally started a week ago or so) and I'm now just starting to do research into the specifics of schools, funding, acceptance, etc.

I am Metis (Metis Nation of Saskatchewan), and I've had a metis card my entire life. Born in Sask, grew up in Alberta. However, my entire family (it goes back a few generations, to my grandparents) is disconnected from the Metis culture. This unfortunately means that I don't have a strong connection to the Metis community (Saskatchewan or Alberta). I haven't participated in the Metis community at all, and now I'm wishing I'd had the opportunity to be more connected. This also means I don't have a metis community reference letter or a person in the community I could ask to write me one. 

Does this decrease my chances of being accepted into a law school in Canada, if I apply as an Indigenous student? 

I've dealt with depression/anxiety a lot and haven't really made any connections with profs or people in my community. I don't know of anyone I could ask to write me a reference letter for applications. How can I make these connections in my final semester? Who would be a good person to connect with so I could ask them to write me a reference letter for law school? I am hoping I can put myself out there and try to be more extroverted--I really don't want to hold myself back. 

Sorry for all of the questions - I am feeling super lost. I'm a little discouraged because I feel like my introvertedness in the past is holding me back from my goals. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

On 6/14/2019 at 1:23 PM, shockinator13 said:

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions. I'm currently finishing up my undergrad and I am considering applying to law school in the future. I have started studying for the LSAT (literally started a week ago or so) and I'm now just starting to do research into the specifics of schools, funding, acceptance, etc.

I am Metis (Metis Nation of Saskatchewan), and I've had a metis card my entire life. Born in Sask, grew up in Alberta. However, my entire family (it goes back a few generations, to my grandparents) is disconnected from the Metis culture. This unfortunately means that I don't have a strong connection to the Metis community (Saskatchewan or Alberta). I haven't participated in the Metis community at all, and now I'm wishing I'd had the opportunity to be more connected. This also means I don't have a metis community reference letter or a person in the community I could ask to write me one. 

Does this decrease my chances of being accepted into a law school in Canada, if I apply as an Indigenous student? 

I've dealt with depression/anxiety a lot and haven't really made any connections with profs or people in my community. I don't know of anyone I could ask to write me a reference letter for applications. How can I make these connections in my final semester? Who would be a good person to connect with so I could ask them to write me a reference letter for law school? I am hoping I can put myself out there and try to be more extroverted--I really don't want to hold myself back. 

Sorry for all of the questions - I am feeling super lost. I'm a little discouraged because I feel like my introvertedness in the past is holding me back from my goals. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

A good place to start is with any professors that you liked, or whose class you did well in.  Send them an email expressing your interest in continuing education, tell them what you liked about them/their class, and ask if they would be interested in writing a reference.  Let them know you would be happy to meet for a coffee to chat, or to send them more information about who you are. 

To make connections in your community, and specifically in the Metis community, reach out to the local chapter of the Metis Nation in your area. Tell them that you want to reconnect your family to its lost heritage, ask if there are any events or meetings coming up that you could attend or assist with.  There is some understanding out there of the people who denied their heritage, or lost status through "enfranchisement", or who were raised away from their own culture, all as a result of colonialism and racial bias. I am always surprised to see the requirement of demonstrating a cultural connection because I think it ignores a huge chunk of the Indigenous community who weren't afforded a cultural connection. 

I am often nervous to reach out to new people or groups, so I usually start with an email to make it easier on myself! Reach out the way that is easiest for you. 

Good luck! 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, flower93 said:

Any Indigenous students applying this cycle? Would love to chat about everyone's experiences :)

I'm applying this year, Status FN applicant- applied to Ontario schools.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 12:18 PM, IndgLawStudent said:

I'm applying this year, Status FN applicant- applied to Ontario schools.

Best of luck! I’m just applying to schools in BC