cranberry

Calling all Aboriginal Applicants/Students

Just wondering who is doing the NLC summer program?

Also, has anyone heard how the program is? I had one student tell me it was intensive and fairly difficult. I would like to hear some other opinions.

11 hours ago, Cc17 said:

Also, has anyone heard how the program is? I had one student tell me it was intensive and fairly difficult. I would like to hear some other opinions.

I'll be there! I've had it highly recommended to me by other people I know, I heard that it is no more difficult than law school will be

20 hours ago, Cc17 said:

I am doing it! I heard it is hard too, but I think it will prepare us for law school and give us a head start compared to those who do not attend 

On 3/29/2017 at 11:51 AM, lawgirl9512 said:

For those attending PLSNP - have you found housing yet? Are you considering residence? 

I decided on residence because everything else seemed so far away. Did you find somewhere yet?

I think that I will stay in residence as well! I just like the idea of being able to walk to class

I’m staying in residence as well for PLSNP (although in a third party residence). Anyone interested in starting a Facebook group? 

On 2018-04-16 at 3:17 PM, law1996 said:

I’m staying in residence as well for PLSNP (although in a third party residence). Anyone interested in starting a Facebook group? 

I just did! I made a fb group for the 2018 Summer program. I am from/live in stoon and would be happy to help in any way with the transition to Saskatoon for the summer! Feel Free to join and hit me up!

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163522370998350/

Hi everyone! 

I am an Indigenous Osgoode Hall student who just completed 1L!  (Are there any future Ozzies on here?!) Regardless, congrats to everyone on beginning your law school journey :) 

I just want to say that I did the PLSNP program last year (summer 2017) and it was the best decision possible! The program is very intense, (or seems so at the time), but it is not NEARLY as intense as a regular law school course. Property is a particularily challenging course so It will be of great benefit to get it over with in the summer so you have more time/a lighter course load in 1L. 

Outside of the academic aspect, the PLSNP is so much fun. You will make special friendships which will serve you well over your academic journey and into practice. The staff at the U of S Native Law Centre are phenomenal, very compassionate and understanding. I know this is such a stressful time, but if you work hard and have faith in yourself you will get through it. If you have any specific questions about PLSNP please do not hesitate to ask me :) 

On 2018-04-19 at 5:52 PM, lawgirl9512 said:

Hi everyone! 

I am an Indigenous Osgoode Hall student who just completed 1L!  (Are there any future Ozzies on here?!) Regardless, congrats to everyone on beginning your law school journey :) 

I just want to say that I did the PLSNP program last year (summer 2017) and it was the best decision possible! The program is very intense, (or seems so at the time), but it is not NEARLY as intense as a regular law school course. Property is a particularily challenging course so It will be of great benefit to get it over with in the summer so you have more time/a lighter course load in 1L. 

Outside of the academic aspect, the PLSNP is so much fun. You will make special friendships which will serve you well over your academic journey and into practice. The staff at the U of S Native Law Centre are phenomenal, very compassionate and understanding. I know this is such a stressful time, but if you work hard and have faith in yourself you will get through it. If you have any specific questions about PLSNP please do not hesitate to ask me :) 

Thank you! How did you find the job search for two months after the program?

Applying as a Metis student to the U of A. I have around 60 credits of my undergrad completed.

If im accepted, do I still have to finish my undergrad degree?

Might be a silly question but its best to be sure.

16 hours ago, Tgrube said:

Applying as a Metis student to the U of A. I have around 60 credits of my undergrad completed.

If im accepted, do I still have to finish my undergrad degree?

Might be a silly question but its best to be sure.

I was accepted in my 4th year, and my courses don't follow a traditional schedule.  I asked if there was a date by which I needed to graduate and was informed that it wasn't a requirement now that I have been accepted.  I mean, I had already paid for the courses, and was past the drop deadline, and it seemed silly to be just a few classes shy of a degree that had such a huge financial/time impact on my life, and then not get the degree....  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 2:07 PM, SKalltheway said:

Thank you! How did you find the job search for two months after the program?

Before I attended the program I had already lined up a job for after the program just to be extra secure. That was only for a few weeks though, since my law school started mid august. 

On 4/25/2018 at 2:08 PM, Iheartcats said:

I was accepted in my 4th year, and my courses don't follow a traditional schedule.  I asked if there was a date by which I needed to graduate and was informed that it wasn't a requirement now that I have been accepted.  I mean, I had already paid for the courses, and was past the drop deadline, and it seemed silly to be just a few classes shy of a degree that had such a huge financial/time impact on my life, and then not get the degree....  

Thank you for your reply :)

just popping to say it happens. I was here 7 years ago and now just won a jury trial 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the valuable info. I'm a Metis with cGPA (OLSAS) of 2.71. I have been out of school for about 5 years. I am writing the July LSAT, and I am currently PT average is about 162.

Can anyone comment on my chances to get into any law schools in Canada? Could I get into UBC with a 170+?
I'm hoping I can get into U of M if I get a 165+ but I've been having trouble getting an idea of what I really need

40 minutes ago, AngusM said:

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the valuable info. I'm a Metis with cGPA (OLSAS) of 2.71. I have been out of school for about 5 years. I am writing the July LSAT, and I am currently PT average is about 162.

Can anyone comment on my chances to get into any law schools in Canada? Could I get into UBC with a 170+?
I'm hoping I can get into U of M if I get a 165+ but I've been having trouble getting an idea of what I really need

What is the GPA for your last 60 credits? What are your extra curricular activities  and job experience? Do you have a connection to your Métis community? These are all things they will be looking at in a holistic evaluation! If your last 60 credits are above a 3.0 I can say that with a 160+ LSAT you will have a shot at some schools in the prairies! You have to be able to prove that you are capable of achieving top grades even if your overall gpa is low. You have to start thinking about how you will justify a low gpa and explain in your personal statement how you have overcome the barriers that caused you to have those grades.

On 2018-05-24 at 2:37 PM, catgirl said:

What is the GPA for your last 60 credits? What are your extra curricular activities  and job experience? Do you have a connection to your Métis community? These are all things they will be looking at in a holistic evaluation! If your last 60 credits are above a 3.0 I can say that with a 160+ LSAT you will have a shot at some schools in the prairies! You have to be able to prove that you are capable of achieving top grades even if your overall gpa is low. You have to start thinking about how you will justify a low gpa and explain in your personal statement how you have overcome the barriers that caused you to have those grades.

Thanks for the reply @Catgirl. My 60 credits is more like a B+ avg, so not quite where I would like it to be.
I appreciate all of the feedback and recommendations. My extra curriculars were very good during Uni, but have changed while I have been working. Right now I'm looking at establishing new extra curriculars and relationships. 
I'm hoping to find some legal related work or volunteering, so I can strengthen my argument that I know what I'm getting into, that it is what I want to be doing, and that I'm prepared to succeed.

Thanks again
AM

On 5/26/2018 at 9:32 AM, AngusM said:

Thanks for the reply @Catgirl. My 60 credits is more like a B+ avg, so not quite where I would like it to be.
I appreciate all of the feedback and recommendations. My extra curriculars were very good during Uni, but have changed while I have been working. Right now I'm looking at establishing new extra curriculars and relationships. 
I'm hoping to find some legal related work or volunteering, so I can strengthen my argument that I know what I'm getting into, that it is what I want to be doing, and that I'm prepared to succeed.

Thanks again
AM

A B+ is not tooo bad, that is around 3.3 right? Study hard for the LSAT and keep working on your connections, this is totally something you can do :)

Advice needed!  CGPA 3.7 writing LSAT June 11.  I am a  mature student with 10 years of work experience with Indigenous offenders under federal sentence.  Single mom.  Completed my degree in Indigenous studies in 5 back to back terms including Spring term with a full course load while working full time, with two children and a second part time job.  Adopted at birth and only learned of my Indigenous ancestry upon meeting my birth mother last year as it was never reported by the Children's Aid to my adoptive parents.  Applying at Queen's. Ottawa, Osgoode, Toronto and Western this Fall.  No idea what to highlight in my personal statement which for some schools is very short!

Edited by lsjb07