Sign in to follow this  
Jules4

Predictions?

but your friend that you mention wouldn't happen to have the initials MT and have reddish hair? (I am pretty sure from your description that you're talking about a friend of mine... :) if so, it's a small world!

Anyway, I saw it on the calendar, if I knew it was up to 4.3, I would have tried to get a 90 on my religion 100 course, my bird course to increase my GPA.

UofT does not use the 4.3 system for evaluating GPA. That statement is incorrect. Most faculties (undergrad arts and science) at UofT uses the 4.0 system.

Really, U of T uses a 4.3 scale? Is that only at the law school? When I started my undergrad in the mid 90s they were using a 4.3 scale, but they switched to a 4.0 in '98 or '99 as I recall. I took a summer class in the faculty of Arts & Science this past summer, and got an A+, but it was only worth 4.0 on my transcript - you're sure they use a 4.3 now?

Abstrakt, your A+ is a 4.0 - I don't know what uni bennxta attends but UofT definitely is on the 4.0 system.

Lio - don't misunderstand me - I didn't think I had been shortchanged on my transcript. I only mentioned the summer course to illustrate that as recently as June of last year, U of T was not using the 4.3 scale - my undergrad marks don't much matter to me anymore - they got me into Oz, and I don't imagine OCI interviewers will care about a 4.0 or a 4.3!

Given that it seems pretty clear that U of T doesn't use a 4.3 scale, I can't imagine why someone would claim they do... ah well, I guess everyone needs a hobby...

Also can't imagine why I'm wasting so much of my time on this board... anything to avoid studying torts I guess

Cool, it seems like there are alot of 'butting heads' when there has anything to do with the U of T. Snide comments, underhanded remarks and general put-downs seem to be the norm. I used to be like that too; I would never argue that I am better off, or even worse off since I have lost my 'attitude'; but I can definitely say that I enjoy life each and everyday now that I don't dwell on confrontation. I am much more relaxed and able to really enjoy the study of law. Sure, i am not at the top of my class, but I will probably be on the deans list. This is just a general rhetorical comment. As a pre-emptive statement: Yes, I am jealous that I didn't get into the U of T; and bitter too!:b

Scott

Hey- I just sent you a personal message; I think we have the same friend in mind...

That is a small world- I just edited my post to protect his anonymity... I had no idea anyone would recognize him from that brief description.

Are you coming to U of T law? I noticed you got in really early... Good for you! :smokin What are your other front runners?

M

Edited by: muffy at: 12/13/04 10:51 am

haha..same friend, i just sent you a reply to your inbox.

U of T just needs to show me the money, and I'll be there in a flash.

Does anyone know how many merit based scholarships they give out?

I'm not sure about the merit scholarships Dee - it doesn't appear that there's a lot of those so you should check in with Judy. But like I told you before, lots of bursary money.

They pretty much don't give out merit-based scholarships. They have "entrance scholarships" which also require you to demonstrate "financial need".

Hey everyone...

Just wanted to give you a quick update -- I spoke to Judy, Assistant Registrar at U of T Law, and she said that while she hasn't received the transcript reports from OLSAS, she was able to view their GPA calculations. She told me that based on my GPA (and regardless of my LSAT), I will be getting a first round offer and should hear either just before Christmas or first thing in January (as the transcript reports are being sent out this week).

Basically, I called asking if I should rewrite the LSAT and she said, don't bother. So there it is! I strongly suggest that anyone who is concerned about their application call the admissions office - they were extremely helpful and I feel 100% better now.

Julie

Hey Jules4, did you call UofT or email them. I'm interested in finding out my status too. Oh and congrats!

I called - Admissions Office at (416) 978-3716. I left a message and they got back to me the same day.

bennxta what faculty are you in? Arts & Sci uses 4.0, that's more than half the univ... so does engineering and I believe all the professional faculties.

Judy at the admissions office at U of T is the nicest admissions officer i've ever dealt with. I had a couple of questions and she answered them courteously (she knows everything!), she gave great suggestions, and we ended up talking for 15 minutes about various things. My experiences with U of T have been nothing but good so far.

I've had some other not as pleasant experiences with other schools.

After working for a university dept. for a couple of years, I feel that high quality of support staff is a definite positive reflection on a school/department.

So definitely don't be afraid to call U of T if you have any questions!

I second your appreciation of Judy Finlay. I met her in October and she was the one who encouraged me to write the December LSAT and apply for law school even though it was a bit of a last minute choice.

Every time I've needed anything, her email replies have been lightning fast, and I get the feeling she actually understands what we're going through and wants to make this process easier on us. I work at a university right now and I know that not all administrators feel this way, to say the least.