Sign in to follow this  
Jules4

Predictions?

LSAT: 163

GPA: 4.12 on 4.3 scale

A lot of very strong extracurriculars....

Admissions predictions? When do you think I would find out?

Thanks!

Acceptance is "likely" according to the U of T section in the LSAC information book, based on patterns in 2003-2004 admissions.

pretty sure UofT uses a 4.0 scale so I think your GPA will only be slightly above average. And your LSAT is a bit low. I think you might get in, but probably not first round.

Just do a quick conversion to a 4.0 scale and you should be able to figure out where you stand. As far as I'm aware, the only difference between a 4.0 and a 4.3 scale is how they weight an A+ - if your marks are all As and some A+ you would have a 4.12 that converts to a perfect 4.0 GPA - if that's the case, you are in very good shape to get into U of T in the first round.

Cheeks005 -- if UofT avg. GPA is 3.8 based on the three best years...then how do figure that a 4.0+ is just a bit over avg?

Though your LSAT is below avg, it is, from what I understand, within their range. If they calculate your GPA as 4.0+, then I think you'll hear in January!

Edited by: Fall05 at: 12/12/04 1:57 am

Fall -

I was just using logic.

4.0+ just means that she has a few A+'s. She could still have a 4.0/4.0, but I was just saying that most likely, she will have something around a 3.85-3.9 range - which is only slightly above UofT's average. Combined with the low LSAT, (which UofT weights heavily), she will be a borderline case in my opinion.

Cheeks005 -- my point was that UofT's reported median GPA is based on the three best years. This means that the avg four year GPA for their candidates is lower than 3.8. Suppose it's 3.7, for the sake of argument. Then a 4.0+ GPA would be significantly above average.

Also, you seem to assume that UofT's calculation system treats an A+ as an A. I am not so sure. UofT converts letter grades to percentages. It would be strange, I think, if an A+ were not converted to a higher percentage then an A. If that's the case, then Jules4's GPA will fare pretty well in the conversion.

Edited by: Fall05 at: 12/12/04 9:48 am

I'm not here to join the debate, only to clarify a point.

U of T does treat an A+ like an A on their 4.0 scale. Also, there is no conversion from percentages to letter grades. How could there be when some undergrads (such as Ryerson) don't use percentages, only scales.

Haha, I find it quite amusing when people like Cheeks005 come on this board and post as if they had any clue what they're talking about.

Jules4, you're numbers are good - plenty of people in my class have had 163s with a lower GPA than you. Whether you're accepted or not will depend on the details of your transcript and your personal statement. Good luck to you.

Edited by: LioHutz at: 12/12/04 11:45 am

Fall -

Yeah, I agree that her numbers can really be anywhere in a certain range. Like I said, her 4.12 'could' be a 4.0/4.0. It can also be around a 3.85-3.9 - so arguing over which it is, is pointless.

In my opinion, a 3.85-3.9/163 is not an auto-admit at UT by any stretch.

Lio -

Your comments show clearly that you are not smart enough to go to law school. Please do everyone a favor and choose another profession.

Cheeks005, I was simply trying to point out that people in my class have numbers similar to 4.xx/163. If you could read maybe you could understand that. Are you even in a law school right now?

Lio - I was making reference to the...

"Haha, I find it quite amusing when people like Cheeks005 come on this board and post as if they had any clue what they're talking about."

... comment

And I am not in law school ... yet :D

Cheeks you didn't have to be so juvenile in responding to a valid comment. If you're not a law student at UofT (or even a law student anywhere yet) I don't know how you're able to advise someone on their chances at admission.

Jules4, while UofT uses a 4.0 gpa for their undergraduate faculties, a percentage system is employed for admission purposes. Go ahead and email the office for an assessment of your application as the staff is very helpful.

UofT does convert letter grades to percentages for admission purposes, even if your school only records letter grades.

I agree that the LSAT is important to UofT, but, obviously, UofT has to balance between people with great LSAT scores and great GPA's, and people with great GPA's and not so great LSAT scores or great LSAT scores and not such great GPA's.

"The most competitive applicants are those with a consistent record of academic achievement over three or four years in a challenging undergraduate program, and, if applicable, in graduate work as well. [...] A candidate's academic record and LSAT score are considered in tandem. That is, a candidate with a superior academic record may be admitted with a less competitive LSAT score. Similarly, a candidate with a superior LSAT score may be admitted with a less competitive academic record. However, in each case, the threshold is quite high."

Yes, it's possible J will waitlisted, if the applicant group is even more competive than last year. It all depends on the applicant group this year.

The important thing is for J to get several different perspectives on his/her application, and we've accomplished that now.

Edited by: Fall05 at: 12/12/04 2:48 pm

The fact is, there seems to be no question that J has competitive numbers - I suspect s/he knew that before posting. So, this whole discussion seems a little needless - as much as it can give one a nice warm fuzzy feeling to have a bunch of strangers on an anonymous email board say you have a good shot, what earthly difference does it make? Presumably, the application has already been submitted, and U of T either will or won't accept it. How can it possibly matter if people "predict" that you will or won't get in? I appreciate that these conversations give people a way to entertain themselves while waiting to hear from schools, but that's how they should be treated - entertainment.

Hey guys -- thanks for your replies!

Abstrakt, you're absolutely right. I clearly just wanted a bit of insight to make myself feel better during this horrible waiting period.

For the record (after the whole GPA discussion), I only have 2 A-'s and one was in first year which was my weakest year and will most likely not be considered for my GPA calculation. So I would be very close to a 4.0 after the conversion.

I think that I will call the Admissions Office this week. The LSAT is my obvious weak point, and Im curious whether or not they will suggest I rewrite in February.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments everyone.

that the point Cheeks005 and I were debating was whether or not J had a competitive application. So I wouldn't say the debate was moot. That's the way you see it Abstrakt because you happen to agree with me that J has a competitive application.

And sure, arguing with C has been somewhat entertaining. But I was also just sharing my pov with J because I am in a similar position and have thought about this stuff a bit.

Some may be content to say 'it's all out my hands now' but others are not. I'm, for example, still trying to decide whether or not to rewrite the LSAT in Feb.

...And now I see from J's reply that s/he is in the same boat.

Edited by: Fall05 at: 12/12/04 4:21 pm

Numbers are not everything. My friend and I both applied to Uof T last year.

We both had the same lsat:

similar gpa. He also had a masters:

I got in and he didn't.

Why? Who knows. I was actually blown away- I thought he deserved a spot for sure, and I thought my chances were 'iffy'.

Edited by: muffy at: 12/13/04 10:33 am