Sign in to follow this  
AGL

Could someone please help me with this issue...PLEASE

hi...i know the subject sounds pretty desperate...that's because I am.

Here's the thing...I'm an undergraduate student right now. My first year was a disaster...I droppped a lot of courses, and failed one or two. My second year (which was only one term) was completely cancelled, and I think I failed two classes.

I went on a student volunteer program across Canada, and volunteered for about 7 months or so.

And now, I'm going back to McMaster University. I'm majoring in Philosophy, and another subject which I'm not good at. I'm still registered into my second year. So I could possibly choose to double major in Philosophy and Political Science in order to continue on studying in somethings I love. But I'm only choosing to study in some other science subject....but I don't even like it...and the logical thing to do is change majors.

But my question is...would there be a chance for me to get into UofT law if I was to start majoring in Philosphy and Political Science, and do well on them. And if I was to do well on the LSAT, would UofT look at my past, and deny me admission? I have medical notes, and other documents stating why my first two years were a disaster.

I'm sorry, but this might make some of you angry...and some of you might be annoyed by this, but I'm just wondering if this is already a lost cause IF I WANT TO GO UofT. Thank you very much. I'm sorry for the long post.

I'm not an admissions expert, but seeing as how you're in your second year of a new program,

-if you do well in 3 years of poli sci/philosophy or whatever

-have a good lsat score

+ all that explanatory info about your special circumstances, etc,

I think you have a chance. Why does it have to be U of T?

there are lots of other good universities :)

Hey AGL -

I was in a VERY similar situation to you - a few horrendous years, a few years living abroad working for an NGO, return to U of T to finish my undergrad with a change of major to political science, where I got straight A's and an awesome LSAT score (171).

Unfortunatelt, U of T didn't give me the time of day - I was rejected before Christmas. That's the bad news. The good news, I got into several schools, and I'm now in 1L at Osgoode (I was accepted under the special circumstances category - my other acceptances were in the regular category).

Given how competitive admission to U of T law is, it might be difficult to mitigate the damage from 2 bad years, but as was already pointed out, there is every likliehood that you can get into a very good school, provided you do well on the LSAT and in all your courses. If you have your heart set on U of T and don't get in for 1L, you can always look into transferring after a year.

You may still have an outside chance for U of T, however - I had 2.5 bad years, not 1.5 like you, so I had more bad marks on my transcript to overcome. If you get solid marks for the next three years, anything is possible. And ChillPPP is right - if in doubt, call the ad coms and talk to them - U of T seems pretty up front about things.

Good luck,

Abstrakt

One solid year in first year law can overcome virtually anything on your undergrad transcripts, if you're looking to transfer.

Thanks a lot for your responces people.

Firstly, I'm thinking of UofT...cause I think I would consider myself second 'class' if I don't get into UofT. I know I'm just burning myself by saying that...cause it might (most likely WILL) offend the whole lot of you....and I'm sorry. It's just ME...I THINK that...so...it's not true to anyone else. I'm at McMaster right now...cause I wanted to get out of Toronto...and am living in Hamilton right now....but I know that I want to live in Toronto in the future. I traveled a bit (around Canada with Katimavik)...and I'm sure that I prefer Toronto much more now...then before.

Secondly, I called UofT...and the lady said...when I'm applying...just show that my next three years will be stellar....and have a good LSAT...and just ask the admissions committee to disregard the first 1.5 years (with the summer as well [2 courses in the summer]....so...like 1.7 years I guess). : I can do that with my notes from my school, and more importantly from my doctor. I still think I have a good chance...and your responces have been very helpful so far. I'm still nervous about what might happen...but I know I have A LOT of time....before applying...thanks for replies...

"I'm thinking of UofT...cause I think I would consider myself second 'class' if I don't get into UofT"

Please don't take this personally, but I hope you get hit by a bus (or, at the very least, become infected with a very stubborn rash).

;)

No offence (well actually plent of offence), but AGL that is one ignorant point of view. Have you researched any other law schools in Canada? Did you look at the atmosphere at each law school? Did you talk to various practicing Lawyers? Have you talked to any law students currently at UofT or any other law schools in Canada?

I suppose that I am assuming you have not really looked into any of these questions. However, the assumption is made on your behalf, because if your deduction skills led you to believe that you would be "second class" going to ANY other law school in Canada, you are a unbelievably sorry individual.

And of all the people to voice this opinion, it is someone that should be grateful to get into any Canadian law school.

Wow.....so ignorant.....Please go to UofT, as I would feel "second class" if you ever attended my law school.

DD

I'm really sorry for saying that.

I know...I shouldn't have said it like that....and I didn't mean it like that. What I want is to get into UofT. Going anywhere else does not make any one else second class because I'm assuming on what I don't know. The last two posts were correct in saying that I should question my choices and then come to a good conclusion. I'm really sorry for saying that, and I really really hope that I don't get hit by a bus.

I think every school has it's own strength, but I would love to be living in Toronto, and I would love to study near my friends and family. It's not because any other school is second class......I think there are many awasome schools, from what I heard, and read about from different law schools. Again...I'm really sorry for saying that, and I should really think about what I'm saying before I say it. Thanks.

No prob....

If you just really want to live in Toronto, what is wrong with Osgoode (it is quite a bit easier to get into)? Also, many people do a year away from home and then transfer to a school closer to home for year 2 and 3.

First year is pretty similar at any Canadian law school, so you don't lose any ground transferring. You just have to have a pretty good first year in law school.

DD

I don't know....I think Osgoode would be the second choice FOR SURE....if I still want to stay in TO...but I don't know how to come to a conclusion of what would be better...UofT or Osgoode. I mean, they are both good schools. Osgoode also has good resources...like the largest librbary in the country, a lot of students(so challenge will be there, and opportunity to meet more people, and havd a good community experience), and it's $4000 cheaper (right now). UofT has the repuation (or trying to get the reputation) of an international school, and the placement rates on Bay Street, and possibly more resources. But the stupid thing is....now, I'm comparing schools...but every time that happens on a thread, it turns into people making stupid remarks like I made previously (UofT is....). Where do you go to for things like that? Rankings? Lawyers? The law schools themselves? other??

Your first step should be to take the time to learn how to spell, and write without never-ending elipses. Writing counts for a lot; in fact, I'd say it counts for almost everything at law school. Your current skills won't cut it, even if you get in.

Check out _The Elements of Style_ by E.B. White, which is available free online. That will be a good start to improving your grades in undergrad and beyond.

Best of luck. :)

"Your first step should be to take the time to learn how to spell, and write without never-ending elipses. Writing counts for a lot; in fact, I'd say it counts for almost everything at law school. Your current skills won't cut it, even if you get in."

Hey- Almost free: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... you have two mistakes in your own small sample of writing...

1) The first sentence should read: "Your first step should be to take the time to learn how to spell, and to write without never-ending elipses." You missed to word "to" before write. It's a small thing- but it changes the meaning of your sentence.

2) Secondly: "in fact" should read "In fact" You need a capital after a semi colon.

I just wanted you to know you should read that book a little more thoroughly, especially if you think you're in a position to be dispensing advice.

:D

I shouldn't have invited this debate in the first place. Sorry!

It's the oldest debate on the web, huh?

I'll let the original poster hear it from his or her profs instead of a faceless web wanderer.

Quote:

2) Secondly: "in fact" should read "In fact" You need a capital after a semi colon.

I think that is a matter of style, but from what I have seen most books recommend NOT capitalizing after a semicolon.