Jump to content
halloumi

10 reasons not to go to my school.

Recommended Posts

On 5/25/2020 at 7:47 AM, MansfieldCJ said:

There is a theory that the culture issues being raised in this thread are a generational phenomenon. It started on undergrad campuses around 2014 when Gen Z began graduating high school and attending uni. Right around 2018/2019 and onwards is when that generation would enter law school. 

They were certainly present in my universities, all the way back to 2012 at least!

Edited by pzabbythesecond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have all enrollment services offices (or whatever office at a given school handles transcripts) been as incompetent as UBCs during the pandemic?

UBC stopped offering paper transcripts about two months ago (I believe). They have only been offering PDF transcripts. Which would be fair enough in itself. But they are providing a current processing time of "up to 15 days" and in fact took 18 days to email me and ask where email the transcript (yes, you read that correctly; they emailed me to ask for my email address) the last time I placed an order (who knows how much additional time it would have taken them to actually send it had I still wanted it). I've needed transcripts for interviews, applications, etc and their abject incompetence made me miss deadlines, made me have to make excuses to people, and rendered the request moot...and then they refused to refund me.

Phone calls to them go to a convoluted automated system, and they did not answer a voicemail I left for them inquiring about this during this time.

They are claiming that they have a huge backlog, but it literally takes less than a minute to pull up something you have access to in a computer system, save it as a PDF, and email it somewhere.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

(yes, you read that correctly; they emailed me to ask for my email address)

Sometimes transcripts are expected to be sent directly from the university to a 3rd party (eg a graduate school that you're applying to) so it's not obvious to send them to the student that requested them

Edited by SneakySuspect
missed 'school'
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SneakySuspect said:

Sometimes transcripts are expected to be sent directly from the university to a 3rd party (eg a graduate school that you're applying to) so it's not obvious to send them to the student that requested them

I requested it be sent directly to me in the online form. Granted, the form was from before they moved to PDF transcripts due to COVID, so there was no field to input an email address. But I don't think it would have been asking much of them to draw the inference that if I wanted it personally sent to me they could use my info on file (it was apparently good enough for personal communication, after all).

In any event that's a minor detail in comparison to the fact that it took those clowns 18 GODDAMN DAYS to respond to a request to spend a minute generating a PDF and emailing it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CleanHands said:

Have all enrollment services offices (or whatever office at a given school handles transcripts) been as incompetent as UBCs during the pandemic?

UBC stopped offering paper transcripts about two months ago (I believe). They have only been offering PDF transcripts. Which would be fair enough in itself. But they are providing a current processing time of "up to 15 days" and in fact took 18 days to email me and ask where email the transcript (yes, you read that correctly; they emailed me to ask for my email address) the last time I placed an order (who knows how much additional time it would have taken them to actually send it had I still wanted it). I've needed transcripts for interviews, applications, etc and their abject incompetence made me miss deadlines, made me have to make excuses to people, and rendered the request moot...and then they refused to refund me.

Phone calls to them go to a convoluted automated system, and they did not answer a voicemail I left for them inquiring about this during this time.

They are claiming that they have a huge backlog, but it literally takes less than a minute to pull up something you have access to in a computer system, save it as a PDF, and email it somewhere.

Makes me wonder why they're offering to refund the April portion of the Upass through student services (by phone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Surely "they took 18 days to send me a pdf of my transcript" is not a good reason not to attend a law school 

Okay, but I've seen people talk about incompetent CSOs before in this very thread, and had certain employers not been understanding of my situation, this incompetence from enrollment services would have been more damaging than CSO incompetence.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CleanHands said:

Okay, but I've seen people talk about incompetent CSOs before in this very thread, and had certain employers not been understanding of my situation, this incompetence from enrollment services would have been more damaging than CSO incompetence.

Osgoode isn't even offering official transcripts at the moment, so UBC is winning that battle. 

Also, if "certain employers: aren't understanding of "there's a global pandemic that literally shut down my university and basically every other university on the planet, here's an unofficial transcript and I'll get you an official one ASAP", I don't think you should want to work there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Osgoode isn't even offering official transcripts at the moment, so UBC is winning that battle. 

Also, if "certain employers: aren't understanding of "there's a global pandemic that literally shut down my university and basically every other university on the planet, here's an unofficial transcript and I'll get you an official one ASAP", I don't think you should want to work there. 

Look dude, I know you like to stir shit up, and you're often technically right when you do so, but if your position is that it's okay and excusable to take 18 days for a request like this, given that it's literally their job, it is an incredibly simple, easy and quick task to complete, and it is of significant importance to students that such requests be fulfilled in a timely fashion, you aren't going to persuade me no matter how many follow-up posts you make.

I asked a question about what is going on in other schools; you've at least provided a relevant answer here. This is subjective but I would say I might prefer it being literally impossible to obtain an updated official transcript to what UBC is offering, because at least that situation would be uncomplicated, it would give one an ironclad reason why they can't provide possibly provide it, one wouldn't get ripped off with fees for services that aren't provided within any reasonable length of time, and one wouldn't have this hanging over their head to the same degree. But it's informative to hear that UBC isn't the only one dropping the ball, at least.

As for your latter point, bureaucracy and inflexibility in HR procedures is just a thing in public sector hiring, for example. Since there are many government jobs I am interested in, I don't have the luxury of telling them to go fuck themselves if they are rigid about such things (I'll bend over and take this before I apply for any private sector job that isn't a crim defence firm). And I suspect many students aren't really in a position to be too choosy either. Your comment on that point is just fatuous.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Look dude, I know you like to stir shit up, and you're often technically right when you do so, but if your position is that it's okay and excusable to take 18 days for a request like this, given that it's literally their job, it is an incredibly simple, easy and quick task to complete, and it is of significant importance to students that such requests be fulfilled in a timely fashion, you aren't going to persuade me no matter how many follow-up posts you make.

I asked a question about what is going on in other schools; you've at least provided a relevant answer here. This is subjective but I would say I might prefer it being literally impossible to obtain an updated official transcript to what UBC is offering, because at least that situation would be uncomplicated, it would give one an ironclad reason why they can't provide possibly provide it, one wouldn't get ripped off with fees for services that aren't provided within any reasonable length of time, and one wouldn't have this hanging over their head to the same degree. But it's informative to hear that UBC isn't the only one dropping the ball, at least.

As for your latter point, bureaucracy and inflexibility in HR procedures is just a thing in public sector hiring, for example. Since there are many government jobs I am interested in, I don't have the luxury of telling them to go fuck themselves if they are rigid about such things (I'll bend over and take this before I apply for any private sector job that isn't a crim defence firm). And I suspect many students aren't really in a position to be too choosy either. Your comment on that point is just fatuous.

Wait, I thought you said that "certain employers" had been understanding of your situation. Now you're trying to say that they weren't? Which is it – is public sector HR "inflexible" to the point of not understanding that things have been derailed a bit by a global pandemic, or have they been "understanding of your situation"? 

See my post in the call to the bar thread – I think a little compassion goes a long way these days. You're right that it's part of someone's job to prepare transcripts. But you're wrong that it's "an incredibly simple, easy, and quick task to complete" – they presumably have a backlog, it presumably took some time for them to organize an alternative service and set it up to be accessed from home, there may be workers off sick or off taking care of loved ones, the person has other responsibilities, productivity is down, etc. etc.

Anyways, this is all a silly sidetrack. I didn't respond to your post, nor did I pretend to provide information in response to your query. I merely stated that "it took 18 days for them to get me my transcript during a global pandemic" was a rather poor reason to not attend a law school. I stand by that assessment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 6:31 PM, CleanHands said:

Phone calls to them go to a convoluted automated system, and they did not answer a voicemail I left for them inquiring about this during this time.

Just wait until you have to deal with the Law Society of BC...

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hesse said:

Just wait until you have to deal with the Law Society of BC...

I applied for articles and applied more than 30 days before my start date as required. I followed up a week before my start date to inquire about my approval, they didn't let me know that my application was escalated to a review officer until after my start date had come and gone. In the end I got approved 2 weeks after my start date.

My fiancee had it even worse. She applied in March for a May start date. In July they asked her for some additional documents, which she provided right away. They didn't approve her until mid September, but they backdated it to August.

Their voicemail says email is faster since the membership team is working from home, but nobody from the membership team responds to emails.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2009 at 8:14 PM, uofalaw said:

 

There are many good things about the school, but that's another thread. I think it's probably law school in general I don't like and not necessarily the U of A.

Sounds to me like it in fact is U of A law that you don’t like. You talked mostly about the conservative culture there.  Good to know, thanks for sharing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AlanaJoy said:

Sounds to me like it in fact is U of A law that you don’t like. You talked mostly about the conservative culture there.  Good to know, thanks for sharing 

Do you realize that post is 11 years old?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CleanHands said:

Do you realize that post is 11 years old?

Nope.  I didn’t. Thanks for pointing that out. I’m complete new to this site and this format in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AlanaJoy said:

Nope.  I didn’t. Thanks for pointing that out. I’m complete new to this site and this format in general. 

 You'll get used to it! Generally, just look at the top leftist part of the post, anad you'll be able to see when the post was made. You can also see when a user was last online by looking at their profile page (clicking on their user name). It can be useful to check that before asking a user a question in case they hadn't logged on in quite some time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, trashpanda said:

Can someone do one for TRU?

Hello again!

1. Tuition cost. With a sticker price of $20k/year TRU is a tough sell unless: (a) your goal is to work in BC/AB AND you don't get into a less expensive school, or (b) you're from BC and being close to home > the difference in tuition cost. 

2. I would not recommend attending TRU if your goal is to work on Bay Street. We simply don't have an alumni presence on Bay Street, so it's going to be a serious uphill battle. The largest proportion of TRU students go on to work in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton (because that's where most students are from).

3. TRU's administration (the university admin, not the law faculty admin). The university takes 35% of the faculty's revenue for "overhead". The SLS has asked for an audit every year and haven't gotten one yet. Shaving that down to even 30% would allow the faculty to hire more profs, or fund other initiatives. It's frustrating.

4. Some neighbourhoods of Kamloops are pretty ... let's say "rural". I've seen trucks with confederate flags on them. Recently RCMP broke up an underground "music festival" on the outskirts of town where 200 people showed up in their trucks and motor homes, set up a stage, and broke basically every covid protocol.

5. It's muddy. The city uses sand instead of salt in the winter and the snow turns to brown slush and stays that way all winter. A week of driving = your rear window + license plate are completely covered. Have to wear a suit to school? You're bound to get your shoes + hem of your pants muddy.

6. Career services. Now, I should preface this by saying that the director of career services is wonderful. She's awesome and puts a ton of effort in and makes herself available to students every week. The issue is that she's basically a one-person operation. As a result, most of the CSO resources are tailored towards OCIs. Since most students find jobs outside of OCIs, this is kind of frustrating.

7. Because some specialty areas of law don't have a market in Kamloops (entertainment law, securities law, etc.), the sessional instructors for these classes are flown in on a weekly basis from Vancouver/Calgary. This is a huge expense. A single one of these sessional profs cost the school 2x what a normal prof costs. 

8. Everyone knows everyone. This is a double-edged sword. There's plenty of collegiality, but when you're new to a city and your classmates are the only people you know, it can be rough if you fall out of favour with them. In contrast, if you go to school in your home town then you have friends/family outside of your school circle that you can rely on for company/support.

That's all I can think of right now

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...