halloumi

10 reasons not to go to my school.

(8) Ottawa U is not the kind of law school where there's a free market of ideas, and people with a diversity of different views have lively political discussions. The Overton Window (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window) of political discussion at Ottawa U is ridiculously narrow. The extreme-left has an absolute hegemony on all classes where political issues are discussed, and generally speaking, if you have any political views to the right of Che Guevera, they will not be particularly welcome. In my 3 years here, I have never met a single person who is openly pro-Harper. While it's relatively easy to avoid the far-left echo chambers (the profs that foster them are well known) the profs who aren't left-wing ideologues almost never discuss politics and usually just stick to the black letter.

This isn't just exaggeration, this is hyperbole.

Off the top of my head I can name at least two people in my cohort at UO that sought and received political jobs (as opposed to straight up normal government civil service jobs) with the Dept. of Justice and certainly aren't afraid to hide it. At least one of them mentioned it in class.

I'd discuss this further but saying things like "anyone with views to the right of Che Guevera" shows you aren't ready for serious conversation.

As to your other points,

(10) Have you even been to the new student space on King Edward? Place is almost always empty and it's specifically for law students (though it does have accessibility issues due to the age of the building and now addition of ramps

(9) I agree more or less

(7) Personally have never had a problem with UO admin. But on this point it's anecdote versus anecdote.

Edited by Myrand
  • Like 1

This isn't just exaggeration, this is hyperbole.

Off the top of my head I can name at least two people in my cohort at UO that sought and received political jobs (as opposed to straight up normal government civil service jobs) with the Dept. of Justice and certainly aren't afraid to hide it. At least one of them mentioned it in class.

I'd discuss this further but saying things like "anyone with views to the right of Che Guevera" shows you aren't ready for serious conversation.

I don't know anything about UOttawa (except for a vague understanding of its left-of-center reputation) and I don't have a horse in this race, but when someone says that Ottawa doesn't foster a discursive environment, dismissing that claim immediately and refusing to discuss it because they "aren't ready for serious conversation" leads me to think that there might be something to what they're saying.

Edited by FruitLupes
  • Like 2

I don't know anything about UOttawa (except for a vague understanding of its left-of-center reputation) and I don't have a horse in this race, but when someone says that Ottawa doesn't foster a discursive environment, dismissing that claim immediately and refusing to discuss it because they "aren't ready for serious conversation" leads me to think that there might be something to what they're saying.

You're right. I came off as a bit rough.

The funny thing is I know the poster personally and though we're good friends we greatly disagree on this point. I let that get the best of me. But when you paint the majority of the school as left of Che Guevera, I don't think one is coming from a point of good-faith or balance either.

• Like 4

Ottawa has that same reputation across Canada, not just the law school but the school as a whole.

Doesn't surprise me

While that's generally true, I have to say that the law school has a flavour quite distinct from the rest of the school IMO. I did my undergrad at uOttawa, and at least in the departments I was in, the politics were nothing close to the law school. In my experience, undergrad was still somewhat biased toward the left, but nothing to really write home about. I'd say undergrad exhibited the kind of left-wing bias you'd expect to find reading CBC or the Toronto Star, while the law school is closer to the kind of bias you'd find on rabble.ca/Jezebel/The Tyree etc.

• Like 1

Can someone do an updated list for McGill? Please & thank you!

• Like 1

Can someone do an updated list for McGill? Please & thank you!

something something low tuition = not enough maintenance of facilities something french is required something something civl law is bad

• Like 1

I don't think I have 10, but I'll throw together a few for the UofA:

1. Tuition - currently prices are good, but if tuition increases to keep in line with Ontario schools that would suck (Market Modifier proposal wanted to jump it by about 4-5k I think). I know tuition is trending upwards across the board, but saying "it's more expensive at X" doesn't justify a price if X is over priced to begin with.

2. Paying Tuition - learned this one this year, and it's a central admin thing not the law faculty, but if you pay your tuition per semester (so end of Sept and Jan) the uni hits you with an "installment fee" of like $40. I don't see why I should be paying a full year's worth of tuition in September, but apparently they think that is the way to go.

3. People shitting on Edmonton - you'll get people come in from Van and Calgary who talk a lot about how bad Edmonton is. Edmonton is a great city, and has a lot of options for things to do both around campus and in the constantly improving downtown area. Yes it gets cold in the winter (surprise, it's Canada), but you chose to come here. Most of them are just bitter they couldn't get accepted into school in their home towns.

4. Course offerings - I don't know if it is just this year due to badly timed sabbaticals, or if this will be a trend moving forward, but course selection this year sucked. A bunch of courses weren't offered from previous years, but worse it seemed like all the available courses had some kind of time conflict. Most people I know have at least 1 course they are in that they don't want, but couldn't get anything else due to availability issues or time conflicts.

5. Course registration - again a central admin thing, not faculty controlled. When you choose courses the 2nd years get to go first, then the first years. That way ideally the courses needed/really wanted can at least be taken in 3L before you graduate. Except lots of the courses are really small and fill up fast. That's not uncommon, and isn't the main gripe, the real problem is the lack of a waitlist. If a course is full you go on a "watchlist" which means the registration system auto emails you when a spot has opened. Except it's an automatic system, so the timing of emails isn't reliable. Plus, it removes the advantage for 2Ls who only have 1 shot left at that course. It would make so much more sense for a waitlist to be used but apparently this is a crazy idea.

6. The building is old, but realistically you get used to it. There is still lots of outlets in the classrooms so it's not an issue.

Can't think of any more, and overall I'm really happy with the school so lots of theses are just fishing for something to complain about.

• Like 1

3. People shitting on Edmonton - you'll get people come in from Van and Calgary who talk a lot about how bad Edmonton is. Edmonton is a great city, and has a lot of options for things to do both around campus and in the constantly improving downtown area. Yes it gets cold in the winter (surprise, it's Canada), but you chose to come here. Most of them are just bitter they couldn't get accepted into school in their home towns.

About a third of the students are from BC/Vancouver. And another quarter or so from Calgary and southern Alberta.

Most of the Vancouver students say the picked the U of A because they couldn’t get into UBC. When asked why they’re not applying to Edmonton OCIs they tend to declare that they would never want to live and work in Edmonton, or that they don’t want to work during the summer and are heading back to BC.

The Calgary folks almost exclusively are only applying to Calgary OCIs and don’t want to spend another minute in Edmonton beyond the school part. 

Only about a third of the class has any interest in Edmonton, and the other two thirds are extremely competitive because they are almost all trying to get the heck’ outta’ here! Even some of the local Edmonton people want to go to Calgary. Which of course makes it that much easier to get a job in Edmonton!
Edited by StudentLife
  • Like 1

4. Course offerings - I don't know if it is just this year due to badly timed sabbaticals, or if this will be a trend moving forward, but course selection this year sucked. A bunch of courses weren't offered from previous years, but worse it seemed like all the available courses had some kind of time conflict. Most people I know have at least 1 course they are in that they don't want, but couldn't get anything else due to availability issues or time conflicts.

I've hear from a few people that the new Dean wants to reduce the number of sessionals, so I think that may be part of the issue.  He was supposed to hire new full time profs with the increased tuition, but I'm not sure if that's happening, at least to the same extent, anymore.  Hopefully the NDP will make up the shortfall and they will be able to bring in some new profs to increase the courses offered.

I've hear from a few people that the new Dean wants to reduce the number of sessionals, so I think that may be part of the issue.  He was supposed to hire new full time profs with the increased tuition, but I'm not sure if that's happening, at least to the same extent, anymore.  Hopefully the NDP will make up the shortfall and they will be able to bring in some new profs to increase the courses offered.

Let's not speculate...just go to the town hall meeting on Wednesday, January 27. Prominent issues that will be discussed include: potential changes to the articling process, updates regarding existing courses, hiring and job recruitment.  The president of the Alberta Law Society will be at the meeting to discuss the potential changes to the articling process so this should be a good opportunity to ask questions. 

Let's not speculate...just go to the town hall meeting on Wednesday, January 27. Prominent issues that will be discussed include: potential changes to the articling process, updates regarding existing courses, hiring and job recruitment.  The president of the Alberta Law Society will be at the meeting to discuss the potential changes to the articling process so this should be a good opportunity to ask questions. 

Law Town Hall - January 27, 2016 

I've hear from a few people that the new Dean wants to reduce the number of sessionals, so I think that may be part of the issue. He was supposed to hire new full time profs with the increased tuition, but I'm not sure if that's happening, at least to the same extent, anymore. Hopefully the NDP will make up the shortfall and they will be able to bring in some new profs to increase the courses offered.

Based on the town hall, it sounds like the Faculty went "overboard" this year with cutting sessionals more than was necessary. This probably explains why a bunch of courses were added in late summer.

I agree that course selection this year sucked. First term in particular was brutal, I had to stretch to find five classes that I actually wanted to take. Hopefully next year will be better.

As someone who just got into UofA from the interior of BC, I now feel bad haha. I can see how that would get super annoying, especially if you're someone from Edmonton and enjoy the city! Is anyone from BC who went to UofA willing to talk about the strengths of Edmonton? Or would that be something to ask in a different thread?

As someone who just got into UofA from the interior of BC, I now feel bad haha. I can see how that would get super annoying, especially if you're someone from Edmonton and enjoy the city! Is anyone from BC who went to UofA willing to talk about the strengths of Edmonton? Or would that be something to ask in a different thread?

I can only think of one: very short flight to BC ;)

I can only think of one: very short flight to BC ;)

Hahahaha. That's terrible. But honestly it's the main reason why I'm even applying to Albertan schools (like most BCers) :P