Jump to content

melonlord

Members
  • Content Count

    16
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6 Neutral

About melonlord

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

379 profile views
  1. Is there any established precedent of when waitlist acceptances are given out? I understand it happens on a rolling basis, but I have had friends from waitlists at other schools receive acceptance letters and would assume UofT to have a general sense of spots available - considering the provisional acceptance date having passed.
  2. Has anyone from the waitlists since heard back/been accepted?
  3. Apologies, the deferral can also be phrased as outright rejecting Osgoode's offer and trying again next year. Of course, there is no guarantee that I will be accepted into Osgoode again and even less likely I'll be able to attain the same scholarship. However, seeing that my cGPA would be increased from 3.88 to ~3.92 following my completion of school this year, as well as the fact I was admitted into Osgoode in the first round, I believe the overall likelihood of me being rejected upon repeat application to be fairly low. I would likely work for most of my year off, and covid-permitting, travel for a bit since I cannot see myself being able to experience much of that once fully committed to my professional career. As such, working part-time would allow me to spend much of my free time improving my LSAT. The reason I want to wait a year is that I do believe I have a decent shot at the T-6 schools in the states if my LSAT improves - which again, I think is likely given I was able to score a 168 having studied 3 weeks. As I understand, putting substantially more hours into the exam (approx 300 hrs), should be able to push my exam past this marker. With a strong GPA (LSAC counting it as a 4.17 for some reason) and a stronger LSAT, the T-6 schools would greatly improve my odds of working corporate in NY overall, with the ability to transfer into Toronto if I wanted. Osgoode and the scholarship is great, but I don't want to hastily take up the first decision presented to me when alternatives that suit my goals are available, albeit at an opportunity cost of 1 year of working.
  4. I believe I have fairly strong ECs (exec positions for 3 clubs each year) and worked part-time throughout most of undergrad. However (and pure speculation here), I had a personal statement that was quite divisive among my peers; some quite enjoyed it while others found it to hinder my overall application (make mention of mental health that could be read as being a “sob story,” of sorts). My mention of "why UofT" was limited to the final paragraph, but my aims were more akin to conveying exactly who I was and how I developed throughout the years. In any case, I doubt further hypothesizing why I was waitlisted has any merit. The reason I began this thread is that, to maintain the Osgoode scholarship (which would be of substantial aid), I need to firmly accept by April 1. Given the time constraint, it would be quite unlikely I would be lifted from the waitlist in that time, be able to apply for financial aid at UofT, and be able to make a comparative decision with all the information available to me. As for your second point, is it possible that students at Osgoode simply apply less to NY jobs, or that there are less OCIs from NY firms in general, relative to UofT? From anecdotal references at UofT, students who pursued NYC weren't necessarily the highest-achieving students, but just that they wanted to seek out those opportunities - implying that overall UofT yields better odds? Apologies if that is a tad bit incoherent.
  5. That is a poignant consideration. I think that I’d likely be able to reduce the sticker price due to scholarships/financial aid based on anecdotal references, but scholarships themselves are scarcer among international applicants. While the debt is tremendous, the sheer pay discrepancy between NYC and Toronto make it seem worthwhile. I say this on the basis of average salary differences and taking into account cost of living + income tax differences. From my payback rates, it seems like the debt accumulated from a US school and then working in NYC is analogous to UofT and then working in Bay - with NY having a substantially higher ceiling.
  6. Thank you for the input. The substantially-higher costs of US schools is a major consideration, but I cannot imagine wanting to do anything other than corporate. Also, from my understanding, once at a T-6 law school, the program itself is easier (relative to Ontario schools) and grades matter less given the prestige of the school - if you can attest to that at all?
  7. Interesting, from my impression of the JD/MBA, it tends to be overly redundant when entering corporate law, as the MBA specifically has little merit asides from being able to better change professions later on. I have not applied for the JD/MBA initially, but see that it is a possibility following my first year at Osgoode. If, after first year, I already am performing well academically, is there any reason to seek out the MBA on top? I understand its usefulness if my grades aren't so spectacular, but I'm curious to its benefits when you are already doing well.
  8. Thank you for your input. I wasn’t actually aware that you could transfer law schools upon entry, so I’ll definitely look into that. While waitlisting does have its merits, I have to firmly reply to Osgoode’s offer by April 1st as to maintain the scholarship and highly doubt I’d be given a UofT offer prior to that deadline. As for your 2nd point, I calculate my GPA increase based on my grades from last semester and this semester. I applied with only 3 years appearing on my transcript, and based on my grades thus far, my GPA would increase substantially - not that I would do an extra year of undergrad. I appreciate your input and if we’re speaking purely objectively, turning down a guarantee for a more risky gamble (per say) is not the wisest decision. I completely understand my LSAT approximation is hypothetical, but I do believe I am making a reasonable assumption given anecdotal references from friends who went from mid/high 160s into the 170s. In any case, thank you for the feedback and advice.
  9. Disclaimer: I understand that this may spark some animosity/confusion, but I’ll try my best to explain my situation. As of current, I have been admitted into Osgoode alongside a modestly scholarship - which is a core part of my consideration. My eventual goal is to practice corporate litigation, either on Bay or in New York. The decision to defer is three- parted. Firstly, I’d always regarded UofT as being my first choice and was recently waitlisted (cgpa 3.88, lsat 168), so deferring would additionally enable me to try again next year, with my gpa increasing to a ~3.92. Second, I am someone who greatly benefits from learning in-person. Covid having limited many classes to being entirely online is a legitimate concern of mine as I transfer into law school. Third, concerning my LSAT score, while it is high, I had spent only about 3 weeks studying for it and wrote it about 2 years ago. Taking a year off and engaging in a more concerted study effort gives me a decent shot, I believe, at getting into the 170+ range, given my development as a student and academic. With all this information relayed, I am at an ultimatum in simply attending Osgoode, a still tremendous school, against waiting a year to try again at UofT. One major reason is that UofT also places significantly higher at New York firms, someplace I can see myself working at in the future. Additionally, with a hypothetically improved GPA and LSAT (approx. 3.92 and 170+), I can also see myself at having a decent shot with schools like Columbia and the like. Keeping in mind that I intend to practice corporate (and a year of lost income by not starting earlier), would attending Osgoode be a better course of action, or given my potential to make it into CCN/UofT, give that another shot? Schools like CCN do open up significant job opportunities and I wouldn’t want to hastily attend my very first option. Thank you in advance and I really hope not to come across negatively/pompous. Just trying to make the best decision earnestly given these considerations.
  10. I did not, wrote my lsat around two years ago in 2019.
  11. Email received at 3 p.m. GPA: 3.86 LSAT: 168
  12. Managed to miss this, but thank you for your input. Hopefully post round 2 I’ll have some illumination if the PS was impactful, and make changes according for American apps
  13. I don’t believe so, since they’d mentioned on their tumblr that they’ve wrapped up first round notifications, so fingers crossed in Jan! On the bright side, Whiskyjack3 added the actual needed levity, so cheers to that : )
  14. Might it have been that you’d written your LSAT in Nov and they hadn’t considered you for that reason?
  15. Stats: 3.86 cGPa, 168 LSAT. I had a personal statement that was quite divisive among my peers; some quite enjoyed it while others found it to hinder my overall application (make mention of mental health that could be read as being a “sob story,” of sorts). I didn’t receive an offer when I’d expected it, so is it possible admissions decided against me on the basis of my statement?
×
×
  • Create New...