Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About corpuscallosum

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hey, thank you for your response! Once I put the deferral request in, the process could take a few weeks, before I hear back regarding whether they’ve accepted it or not. This is also why I feel the pressure to make a godforsaken decision either way, because I would have to put in the request ASAP. It’s just that I would potentially already have begun the internship by the time I hear back about my deferral.
  2. Hey everyone - I want to thank you all for taking time to respond to me. I've finally heard back from the internship and they want me to begin in mid-June, so I have to make the decision regarding law school very shortly. I'm still struggling to make a decision because I'm facing rather big backlash from certain family members who think I'd be an absolute idiot to put off law school for an internship that they don't consider to be a "real job." Their rationale is that I've been out of school for a few years (I graduated from undergrad in June 2017) and I haven't done anything very significant since then, and so I've "wasted" the last few years and would be wasting it further if I defer admission. They also don't understand why I would take an internship that has nothing to do with law. A part of their reasoning is that the sooner I enter law school and experience it, the sooner I will figure out if I even want to be a lawyer, which would help me save time down the line. After quite the lecture this morning, I'm mentally at a breaking point and I really don't know what to think. I've emailed my internship organization that I need some time before I can confirm if I will start with them. My family members are also suggesting I do law school part time with the internship, if the internship allows me to, in order to do both - I've questioned my own ability to handle both 1L and a paid internship that I imagine will involve a fair bit of juggling and responsibility. I don't even know who to talk to or what to talk about at this point so I find myself back at a relatively safe space - this forum. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I should add - I realize that I am in an extremely privileged position to even have these decisions to make. I do not take these opportunities for granted, I know that both law school and employment are huge deals, especially given the circumstances. Realizing this isn't helping me clear my head, however, and if anything, it's making the pressure mount because now I feel like I have to make the "right" decision in this.
  3. Hello all, I was hoping to get some thoughts on a small dilemma I have. I have to make a decision on my Osgoode acceptance ASAP but I am still waiting to hear from McGill regarding whether or not I have been accepted. Can I hold a firm acceptance on Osgoode while waiting to hear from McGill or does this jeopardize my McGill application? Any advice is much appreciated!
  4. It turns out that the option to do it online is only for those who've firmly accepted their offer 😕 I've put in a provisional acceptance for now and can't change it until I hear back from one more school But I agree with you - I'll mail it in ASAP considering the delays with the postal service
  5. I'm sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know how long it takes for the money order for the acceptance deposit to go through? If I were to mail it next week, for example. I just don't want to be pushing too close to the June 1st deadline but I am still waiting to hear back from other schools and want to wait a bit more before making a decision on Osgoode
  6. Thank you for your response! I hope you've heard good news from McGill since. Did you have one or two interviewers? I've heard some people have been interviewed by a few law professors. Thank you for the advice as well! I have far more faith in my ability to comprehend someone asking me questions in French than I do in my ability to respond very eloquently in an interview setting, especially with the added nerves. I'm trying not to stress too much about it while I wait for their response to my request for a rescheduling, but I suppose there is not much to prepare besides knowing your application inside and out? Edit to add: Do you think there is any downside at all in answering the entire interview in English?
  7. Hey all - I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience regarding the French interview, particularly how much notice they received before having it and whether or not McGill is flexible with rescheduling. If anyone has advice on how to prepare, that would be great as well! Any and all advice is appreciated!
  8. Thank you for your response! This is definitely an organization I've wanted to work with for a while, and I'd applied in previous years and didn't get the position, so this was exciting. Of course, I thought I'd have the best of both worlds - getting to do the internship just before 1L, but that changed. It's been two years since I've graduated, and I've worked odd jobs and travelled a fair bit since then, so I've definitely got to see a lot more of the world than I did in undergrad. I didn't love my work experiences, however, and none of them presented the opportunities this internship seems to present, which is why I'm eager to try it. It's just unfortunate that I'm letting the idea of age get to me - I'm not getting younger and I feel this push to be on a path to some sort of profession by now. I know that's not a healthy way to approach it, but it's a hard habit to shake. I also agree with you about the importance of socializing during 1L! I do miss the community aspect of being in school, so that's something I would have wanted from law school. It's also something I hope to get from the internship, since it's a small team environment
  9. Thank you for the response! I am certainly concerned with the internship being pushed back indefinitely, or not happening at all. I was fine with it being online but the organization wanted to wait until it could be done in-person to provide interns with the best possible experience. Considering the way the pandemic is going, I think it'll have to be conducted at least partially online if it does happen. If I'm being honest, I'm not itching to jump into law school. But I feel somewhat...naive, thinking that? I don't know if I'm being naive to prefer a one year internship over the "investment" that law school seems to be, with the potential for greater rewards later. I know that ultimately I have to live with whatever decision I make but I also feel some level of responsibility to explain myself to my family, who have always been very supportive. As it stands, I feel like I'd regret not getting to take part in the internship, though I know work life is not walk in the park either. But I don't know how exactly I'd be able to handle 1L done remotely, even if it were only partially online
  10. I've been in touch with the law school and they do grant deferrals for internships/employment opportunities! But I do agree with you, they will evaluate requests on a case-by-case basis. In my case, at least, I have no scholarship money I'd be turning down so I imagine that might make it a bit easier for me, but I'll have to see regardless
  11. Ah, this is the million dollar question! I live with someone who is immunocompromised and I wouldn't feel very comfortable commuting to and from campus and putting them at risk, before we get a vaccine for COVID - so this is one big consideration for me, unless I moved out. But yes, I would wish to defer even if law school was in-person this fall. Needless to say, I'm hesitant about law school in general, whether or not it is for me, and I understand it is a big investment. Mind you, this internship isn't paying me an immense amount of money, but I do see it as "buying time" for me to decide if law is for me.
  12. Hello all! I hope everyone is doing well and staying as safe as possible given the circumstances, wherever you are. This dilemma has been keeping me up at night for a while now so I thought it might be nice to get some new perspectives from some of you. I've been fortunate enough to get into Osgoode Hall Law School and I've provisionally accepted the offer. I've heard back from every other school I applied to, except for McGill - which would be a strong contender for me against going to Osgoode, given it being in Montreal and being far less expensive than Osgoode. I also got hired for an internship at an organization in Toronto that I have wanted to work with for a long time. The internship was meant to begin in April, for six months, but has been pushed back due to the pandemic. This internship also has the possibility to be extended for another six months with the same organization or another company in the same industry. I'm waiting to hear back about when and how it will begin. Now that the deadline is coming up for me to put in my initial deposit for Osgoode, I know I have to make a decision ASAP about whether or not to defer admission to 2021 and do the internship full time or decline the internship and begin law school in August. I am not keen at all on online classes, though the school hasn't been clear about what the fall will look like. I'm leaning towards deferring because I would also like to make money and gain the experience. Everything feels a bit uncertain right now, so any and all thoughts would be appreciated!
  13. Hello all! Does anyone know what the process is in order to be considered for entrance scholarships? I made a provisional acceptance of my offer to Osgoode but I realized I didn't fill out any financial statement when I submitted my application in the fall, which I'm currently beating myself up over. I've emailed admissions and am waiting to hear back but I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with this. Thank you for any and all advice!
  14. Hey everyone - I'm writing to ask if anyone has been able to extend their deadline to accept the offer of admission, whether during this cycle or in previous ones. I got a job offer for a six month position that would extend into the beginning of law school, so I could use more time to sort that out. Not to mention, I'm waiting to hear back from some other law schools, and everyone is delayed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Create New...