I'm looking to access the hivemind on a school comparison q. I've got the following in hand:
- JD/MBA offer with $40k scholarship from Ivey, likely no $$ from Western Law. (~154k tuition > 114K). 3 yrs.
- JD offer from UofT, no $$ but reasonably confident in $8K annually through financial aid (~114K tuition > 90k). 3 yrs.
My aim is to find a role with major Toronto firm and gear towards insolvency/restructuring. Would like to keep the door open to a transition to finance with a focus on distressed assets after 4+ years in law. I'm open to pursuing opportunities in management consulting and alternative investment out of a JD/MBA, and would actively explore these as secondary options.
Aside from what I have in hand, alternative paths are:
- Pick up MBA at UofT (Rotman) after first year, hopefully with ~$30k in funding from Rotman over 4yrs and then find a role with major Toronto firm and gear towards insolvency/restructuring. (~180k tuition > 125K [and a year's lost wages]).
- Transition out of law when the time comes with a one-year MBA (possibly American, i.e., Tuck) ($$$, and a year's lost wages).
Identified benefits of UofT
- American biglaw door is as open as it gets in Canada, and effectively shut at Western Law as far as I understand.
- Strong hiring on Bay
Identified benefits of UWO JD/MBA
- MBA for 24k over UofT JD
- Very strong hiring for JD/MBAs on Bay
- One year shorter than UofT JD/MBA
My soft preferences strongly point to UofT, but I want to settle the strategic question independently.
Any opinions on the preferable option?