Entering my 5th year of school (in Ontario). Looking to apply to U of T, Western, Queens and Osgoode
LSAT: 167 + 175
1: 3.0 (3) 2: 2.7 (3) 3: 3.65 (5) 4: 3.86 (5)
Current cGPA: 3.42
So I'm definitely disclosing my medical issues, and have already discussed documentation with my doctor. To give you guys an idea:
Year 1 + 2: Should not have been in school. Almost died. Mental health issues, rare life threatening disease, major surgery, heavy corticosteroids
Summer between year 3/4: Diagnosed w/ ADHD and medicated for year 4
Getting documentation from my doctors has already been discussed over the past 2 years, but I am having trouble fitting all my shit into U of T's 5000 character max.
I want to communicate the struggles I went through, especially years 1+2. But I don't want the schools to think I am a ticking time bomb and I am going drop dead year 1 if I get enrolled. I'm 100% cured, the ADHD is the only remaining issue and I'm now medicated. I also want to communicate how I believe my LSAT and 4th year grades are the truest indicator of my abilities.
If anyone could help me with any of the following questions, that'd be super appreciated:
1. How can I fit everything I need into U of T's 5000 character count?
2. Is there a chance U of T would accommodate a longer essay? I know the Personal statement is longer, but all the advise on PS says to be positive about yourself, save the challenges/difficulties for the extra essay
2. Should I apply as "Access" for Queens and Western? (no option for U of T or Osgoode) I've heard people advice against it
3. Am I fucked for scholarships? I'm really pissed about my cGPA. I know U of T focuses on best 3, Q/W last 2, Osgoode who knows... but they all factor cGPA in
4.Is it reasonable to ask schools to forget my first two years? (obviously I'd word that a little better)
5. I have weak softs. At school: have worked part time at the school, and played intramural sports 2-3 times a week. Summer jobs: Nothing law or business, and no volunteering Would it be assumed it would be difficult for me to be involved while I was sick?