Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Days Won


whereverjustice last won the day on January 31

whereverjustice had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

4976 Good People

About whereverjustice

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

9732 profile views
  1. Can you get on to any litigation files as part of the firm's family law practice? It sounds to me like building up a base of litigation experience - in whatever field - would be an asset to getting the kinds of jobs you want. Also, if the 'business law' area includes any employment law, there may be a potential path to human rights law through there.
  2. If you're living on-campus it's probably not worth it to buy a transit pass. Transit passes provide modest savings for people who commute in two directions every day. You would need to make 23 TTC round-trips per month for the annual pass to provide any savings, rather than just paying the cash fare. (The post-secondary pass would bring down your break-even point to 20 round-trips, but that's still probably more than you will use.) You should get a Presto card, for use as a method of payment. But assuming you're not planning daily 'travel', then no, don't bother loading any passes on it. Just cash.
  3. Is there something really special about the DDS program at NYU? Because this is a huge career/financial sacrifice you're thinking about, to help him attend that program.
  4. (Just want to note that the question was about aboriginal law, not indigenous law, and those are not the same thing)
  5. You could practice law as a lawyer? That's the whole point of doing the licensing process, isn't it?
  6. Threads consolidated. OP is interested in Ottawa, Queen's, Ryerson, and Western.
  7. In your shoes, I'd provisionally accept Western, wait for Osgoode, and then go to Western if you don't get accepted to Osgoode by the time the acceptance becomes firm. I don't think any (Canadian common law) law school is worth delaying your career for. When I was an applicant I was settled on Osgoode and decided I'd try again the following year if I didn't get in; in retrospect I think that was a bad decision (though it worked out OK as I got into Osgoode in my first cycle after all). If you're accepted to both, I'd just say that law school is three years of your life and if you would prefer to be in Toronto, then I'd encourage you to do that, especially given that it's cost-neutral. I do think it can be a good experience to go live in a new place for a while (even if it's not far away), but it sounds like that's not where your head is at right now.
  8. Huh, fair enough. It sounds like your experience in undergrad and law school alike were very different from mine, especially in the 'delivery' element you mentioned. Law school classes without syllabi, the idea that law school classes are less 'documented' than undergrad classes, the idea that the readings have more value in law school, the idea that undergrad teaching is mostly conveying facts rather than different approaches/viewpoints, etc. - that's all the opposite of what I experienced. I'm also a bit surprised by your experience that you've been marked down for raising remote issues in exams (provided it isn't in displacing more salient isuses). Anyway I graduated from Osgoode 10 years ago so I certainly acknowledge that legal education (and undergrad for that matter) may have moved in directions I don't understand.
  9. I don't really understand this. Law school is an undergraduate program and is delivered & evaluated in a similar way to most - lectures, readings, some assignments, big exams at the end of the term. If you took any social science (or adjacent) courses in your previous degree then 1L probably won't feel terribly unfamiliar, as far as your daily life as a student is concerned.
  10. Yeah, we just went through this, so I'm going to lock this up.
  11. There's your problem. The JD is a bachelor's degree.
  12. First things first: You should not go to law school if you do not want to practice law. I can't speak to NGOs or academia, but as a public sector lawyer in my ninth year of call I echo @HammurabiTime's point that there isn't an obvious niche for this function in government. I can think of maybe one 'pure legal research' government position I've seen in my time. I wonder if it's possible you're thinking that "practicing law" means "working as a litigator"? Because those are not the same thing. In my job, I answer questions like: "The [public body] wants to address this policy issue. What legal powers are available to them that they could use for this purpose? What have the courts said about the limits of those powers?" That is, 100%, practicing law.
  13. This may be reassuring:
  14. I'm not looking to start an argument about what constitutes "well-paid". But if you are moving from a government legal position to a position that has "good hours" (i.e. not an executive position), then you're probably taking a very substantial paycut.
  • Create New...